Repository if Useful 3D prints for Noobs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes you prefer random z alignment?

There are several reasons I prefer random..

Dimensional accuracy increases slightly, when we select a certain start/stop point there will be the bulge of the seam.. it's definitely easy enough to clean up that corner, but then your left with a marked up part that needs a touch more post processing..

Ease of post processing, if I intend to paint a part it's extremely easy to knock random tiny bumps down all over. . Versus trying to pull a corner or flat down flush without disturbing the rest of the model...

It seems to be the less of all evil's for me, one less setting I have to play with for every model...

On thin walled models a z seam is a very weak point.. you can picture the start/stop positions like this.. )(. Can't be seen with the naked eye but under magnification it would show...

That all being said,

An extremely fine tuned coasting, retraction, and prime setting can make a model look seamless, and more injection molded.. placing these more precise stop start points randomly makes them even harder to see, increasing the seamless look..

Sorry for the long read.. just many of the reasons I use random.. 👍

There are several reasons I prefer random..

Dimensional accuracy increases slightly, when we select a certain start/stop point there will be the bulge of the seam.. it's definitely easy enough to clean up that corner, but then your left with a marked up part that needs a touch more post processing..

Ease of post processing, if I intend to paint a part it's extremely easy to knock random tiny bumps down all over. . Versus trying to pull a corner or flat down flush without disturbing the rest of the model...

It seems to be the less of all evil's for me, one less setting I have to play with for every model...

On thin walled models a z seam is a very weak point.. you can picture the start/stop positions like this.. )(. Can't be seen with the naked eye but under magnification it would show...

That all being said,

An extremely fine tuned coasting, retraction, and prime setting can make a model look seamless, and more injection molded.. placing these more precise stop start points randomly makes them even harder to see, increasing the seamless look..

Sorry for the long read.. just many of the reasons I use random.. 👍
don't apologize, that is exactly what I wanted! Your prints look great, so I am always trying to figure out what you do differently. Do you have any suggestions on retraction? I’m in florida so I don’t have my printer but I’m still doing research while the girls are laying out all day😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back