Requesting Community feedback for making an RC accessory (not sure what to call it atm)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I need some input from other experienced RC enthusiasts such as yourselves.

Some of you may remember I oops working on a really nice light controller, I had chimed in and offered to collaborate but using a different platform (ESP32 vs RP2040) and to add significant additional features such as:

GPS - speed tracking and tracking down the vehicle when it has gone a little too far.
IMU - maybe for racing to observe how it's handling in turns but also as part of the light control to see when the vehicle is upside down to rigger hazard lights.
Datalogging - For debugging/error reporting and also configuration saves and to help race/speed run stuff.
Temp sensor - a temp sensor arrangement to allow monitoring and telemetry

I've started working on the project again but I'm still running into a number of issues that honestly I can't seem to get past and are hindering my progress. The biggest issues I'm running into are:

Size restrictions - Currently I'm trying to fit the main portion of the device in the space of the receiver box, which would mount on top of the box used in typhoons and the like. But I don't really know where people would prefer to mount this.

hobbyist-friendly design - the enclosure would allow the main device to be sealed, yet mountable and accessible for various connections.

limited things to reference - I only have access to the stock 3-ch Typhoon receiver to test out signals, and I only have the dimensions of the Typoons receiver box.

lack of experience with different niches within the hobby - Since I wanted to make this something more than just a light controller and to be appealing to as many niches and even types of RC vehicles. I keep adding more features but I don't know if the features I'm adding add any value to make the device preferably over already existing commercial and hobby devices.

Keeping costs and skills/tools required to use this to a minimum - Currently, if I just set it up to be a light controller, I could say, "Here's my code on GitHub, all you need are these passive components, buy this esp32 module off amazon, some wire, and install this firmware. Then follow these instructions to connect and configure it." But, not everyone wants to solder or even have to set up and install something to program the esp32. Sure, I could also offer to pre-program ones and even sell ones that come semi-pre-wired. But, with the potential that I think can fit into what is currently available, I'm not sure how I feel

This is where I'm hoping you folks can come in and help. Even though this is mostly me just wanting to do a project, I want the end result to be something that other RC hobbyists would want also.

Edit #1 Adding GitHub repo for details and progress tracking https://github.com/Psylenceo/RC_Device

March 17, 2023, Update #1: Added video of receiver read-out webpage working on GitHub page, also got some of the lighting control stuff worked on. Making a proto-board for connecting/simulating different vehicle lights for demos in videos until I get this project to a state that can be mounted in a car.

Also laying out a road map for how I plan on progressing. See post #13 for the small wall of text explaining that.

March 30, 2023, Update #2: Got the lights set up, code written, and started testing on the 20th, but procrastinated to make the post until the 30th.

April 2nd, 2023, Update #3: Wish I would have just tried using the OTA library from the start. Decided I should start getting the OTA (Over The Air) updating code going. First library and the library I initially planned on using worked by just adding 3 lines of code...one line to download the library and keep it up to date, 2nd line to call the library in the code, and the third to start the OTA process webpage.
Now just download the firmware.bin file off the release page, once I make an official release.
Type in the ESP32's IP address in a browser along with /update.
On the webpage that appears, click the button to upload a file and then browse to where you downloaded the update.
As soon as you click open the esp32 will start flashing the Blue light and it will be updating.

The next steps are:
Add a link on the normal web server page to point to the OTA page both in Safe mode from hard-coded webpages and from SD card webpages.
Design up the base schematic for the LED power board to interface with the ESP32.
Publish the code on GitHub so that later code updates can be published, downloaded, and units can be programmed VIA OTA.
Add instructions, and images and start tidying up the GitHub repo to be more organized and such.

Last edited:
Yeah, I totally remember that project. I thought it was definitely one of the better light controller designs I've seen. Most stuff out there is typically one of two things....either it's got way too much stuff going on because it was something designed for an 18-wheeler with a Komatsu excavator on a goose-neck flatbed, or it's cheap half baked plastic crap where you can't even be sure if it's going to work with your particular Tx/Rx like the Killerbody light modules. You then kinda just fell off the side of the forum and I didn't see anything about it anymore. Or that was my perception anyways. The way this forum operates sometimes is strange and you just stop receiving update notifications for absolutely no reason that I can understand. Then suddenly a thread will re-emerge weeks later in my "what's new" feed but with pages and pages of posts that I just didn't receive any notifications for.

Anyways, cool to see you're picking this up again. (y)

Some of you may remember I oops working on a really nice light controller, I had chimed in and offered to collaborate but using a different platform (ESP32 vs RP2040) and to add significant additional features such as:

GPS - speed tracking and tracking down the vehicle when it has gone a little too far.
IMU - maybe for racing to observe how it's handling in turns but also as part of the light control to see when the vehicle is upside down to rigger hazard lights.
Datalogging - For debugging/error reporting and also configuration saves and to help race/speed run stuff.

I've started working on the project again but I'm still running into a number of issues that honestly I can't seem to get past and are hindering my progress. The biggest issues I'm running into are:

Size restrictions - Currently I'm trying to fit the main portion of the device in the space of the receiver box, which would mount on top of the box used in typhoons and the like. But I don't really know where people would prefer to mount this.

hobbyist-friendly design - the enclosure would allow the main device to be sealed, yet mountable and accessible for various connections.

limited things to reference - I only have access to the stock 3-ch Typhoon receiver to test out signals, and I only have the dimensions of the Typoons receiver box.

lack of experience with different niches within the hobby - Since I wanted to make this something more than just a light controller and to be appealing to as many niches and even types of RC vehicles. I keep adding more features but I don't know if the features I'm adding add any value to make the device preferably over already existing commercial and hobby devices.

Keeping costs and skills/tools required to use this to a minimum - Currently, if I just set it up to be a light controller, I could say, "Here's my code on GitHub, all you need are these passive components, buy this esp32 module off amazon, some wire, and install this firmware. Then follow these instructions to connect and configure it." But, not everyone wants to solder or even have to set up and install something to program the esp32. Sure, I could also offer to pre-program ones and even sell ones that come semi-pre-wired. But, with the potential that I think can fit into what is currently available, I'm not sure how I feel

This is where I'm hoping you folks can come in and help. Even though this is mostly me just wanting to do a project, I want the end result to be something that other RC hobbyists would want also.

I believe I have a custom solution to your storage size dilemma >>
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/custom-6s-receiver-box-extensions-spacers-raisers.59810/

oh and Welcome back!

Last edited:
@Tex Koder I was designing a box to tightly fit the GPS, ESp32, IMU, and SD card module all above the 3s rx box but I was concerned that the module wouldn't fit for other brands/types of vehicles or fit in different locations. Also, I was concerned people wouldn't like having to remove my unit in order to get to their rx. And I also ran into an issue where you'd have to partially disassemble my unit if you needed to get into the RX. So then I wasn't sure where to go and that's one of the reasons I want feedback. Especially because the physical size restictions of where its placed determines if I need to make a custom circuit board or not. This is roughly what I have now. The blue boxes are the solder pads for the ESP module on the bottom of the PCB.

1677001219008.png

If someone wanted to make or buy one of these, where would they want to install it and what dimensions would it need to fit in?

Space limitations is difficult and packaging. Take the 6s Arrma line for example. 6+ Vehicles in that line and no 2 are the same.....
I wonder if you could design this to be mounted to the underside of the body shell instead? All RCs seem to have real estate there which is unused. Usually, the chassis surface real estate is pretty well claimed already...

I agree keeping things simple and easy to use is key. I am always amazed how people get very invested in this hobby yet cannot solder and refuse to learn it.

The underside of the chassis is a no-go. It would create something to get snagged and ripped off the vehicle. Plus for the folks who have metal chassis, it would most likely block or limit the GPS signal, plus I would limit the signal for the Wifi and Bluetooth.

Not to mention unfortunately the ESp32 module itself has these dimensions for the version with the built in antenna, I'm thinking of using the ufl version to save space and allow more antenna placement options:
1677015285214.png

As for the enclosure I was thinking something along these lines, still in progress of decided placemetn.
1677015660500.png

The underside of the chassis is a no-go. It would create something to get snagged and ripped off the vehicle. Plus for the folks who have metal chassis, it would most likely block or limit the GPS signal, plus I would limit the signal for the Wifi and Bluetooth.

Not to mention unfortunately the ESp32 module itself has these dimensions for the version with the built in antenna, I'm thinking of using the ufl version to save space and allow more antenna placement options:
View attachment 280197

As for the enclosure I was thinking something along these lines, still in progress of decided placemetn.
View attachment 280201

The underside of the body shell not the chassis, but looks like it might be too heavy for that.

ESp32 is fun for prototyping, but once you'd go for a solid hobyist friendly product you should scale it down.
Micro drone Flight controlers are <20x20 these days. Rx's <10x10
1677023120801.png
1677023428060.png

And just some 'out of the box' thought ;)
The gps doesn't need to be on top of the box. Add an extention cable and let the user put it in the best spot.
When i ran my (not fully integrated) flight controler + gps on my limitless i had the gps antenna on the rear tower.

@rotauq there's a limit to low-volume mini stuff and the cost of multi-layer boards.
I also don't want to potentially get caught up in regional communication regulations
As for allowing the GPS antenna to be placed elsewhere, that is considered already, the gray cube on top of the GPS's blue PCB was from me testing fitment to allow a cap that will either hold the GPS in place, or allow the GPS units wires to exit the enclosure.
1677039219451.png

This is cool project.
Any reason for reinventing the wheel?
There are a lot of FC open source boards that are small and cheap with all the sensors and connector for gps and data logging available out there.
There are also open source software that can be reused and supported for those boards.

I think what’s missing is some tailored software for surface RC needs. But to me the HW is already available and working.

It is definitely a fun project regardless. Keep up the good work!

@Mathieu
I'm re-inventing the wheel because I wanted a project and I had an initial "thing" I wanted for my car. A light controller, but I didn't want to buy one since I had some Arduino parts and the skills and knowledge to make my own. But because I am not very good at scope control, feature creep set in and I started thinking of what other features I wanted. This led to me finding oops light controller with a webpage and that made me think of switching the Arduino out for a stronger microcontroller with wireless capabilities to perform telemetries so I and or others wouldn't need to buy $100+ radios and $50+ receivers to get telemetry.

Why not use an open-source FC from a drone? I didn't think about it, and from the 30min rabbit hole I went down when searching for flight control boards, I've seen plenty of open-source software, but not much on the firmware that is flashed onto the boards themselves to let me modify the code to make it more towards surface vehicles. I could have just been using the incorrect search term too.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I probably should have posted progress updates here as well as on my GitHub page.

Current progress after 3 weeks of not posting anything:
Feb 24th
- I pushed an update to the GitHub repo showing the receiver read-out page and getting the base chunk of code to allow 2 light channels to function with the throttle. But no video of that working as the breadboard solution I was using wasn't stable. Planned to proto-board a better solution.

Feb 25 - March 16, family stuff and vacation. Also catching up on stuff that didn't get done for 10 days.

March 16th
- Getting around to making that proto-board light board to simulate headlights, turn signals, fog lights, tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights, and extra lights.

The plan for now in this order is:
- Focus on getting a bare-bones light controller with the wifi, a webpage, and basic fixed-function light modes. Headlights on steady after throttle, brake lights on the brake, reverse lights on 2nd brake if no throttle is applied, turn signals.
- Start working on Over The Air (OTA) programming so that once the basic stuff is functional, I can make a base version release for others to use with the basic dev board that I'm using and a simple mosfet board to control more/power/ higher voltage lights with. Then whenever I push an update, users can decide if they want to update the program and get the additional features or not. This will also help allow people with coding and electronics circuits to contribute as well and help add features if they want, which potentially helps me get more features added.

Hmmm, I probably should have posted progress updates here as well as on my GitHub page.

Current progress after 3 weeks of not posting anything:
Feb 24th
- I pushed an update to the GitHub repo showing the receiver read-out page and getting the base chunk of code to allow 2 light channels to function with the throttle. But no video of that working as the breadboard solution I was using wasn't stable. Planned to proto-board a better solution.

Feb 25 - March 16, family stuff and vacation. Also catching up on stuff that didn't get done for 10 days.

March 16th
- Getting around to making that proto-board light board to simulate headlights, turn signals, fog lights, tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights, and extra lights.

The plan for now in this order is:
- Focus on getting a bare-bones light controller with the wifi, a webpage, and basic fixed-function light modes. Headlights on steady after throttle, brake lights on the brake, reverse lights on 2nd brake if no throttle is applied, turn signals.
- Start working on Over The Air (OTA) programming so that once the basic stuff is functional, I can make a base version release for others to use with the basic dev board that I'm using and a simple mosfet board to control more/power/ higher voltage lights with. Then whenever I push an update, users can decide if they want to update the program and get the additional features or not. This will also help allow people with coding and electronics circuits to contribute as well and help add features if they want, which potentially helps me get more features added.

Looks to be cranking along.
Keep up the Good work! 🍺

Got the lighting functions working on the 20th but procrastinated on uploading them. New video, picture of proto light board, and updated code on the repo.

Next up is OTA programming, then I'll be able to push the base version and all basic info and update/clean up the repos read me along with a roadmap and progress.

Wish I would have just tried using the OTA library from the start. Decided I should start getting the OTA (Over The Air) updating code going. First library and the library I initially planned on using worked by just adding 3 lines of code...one line to download the library and keep it up to date, 2nd line to call the library in the code, and the third to start the OTA process webpage.
Now just download the firmware.bin file off the release page, once I make an official release.
Type in the ESP32's IP address in a browser along with /update.
On the webpage that appears, click the button to upload a file and then browse to where you downloaded the update.
As soon as you click open the esp32 will start flashing the Blue light and it will be updating.

The next steps are:
Add a link on the normal web server page to point to the OTA page both in Safe mode from hard-coded webpages and from SD card webpages.
Design up the base schematic for the LED power board to interface with the ESP32.
Publish the code on GitHub so that later code updates can be published, downloaded, and units can be programmed VIA OTA.
Add instructions, and images and start tidying up the GitHub repo to be more organized and such.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back