Granite reverse hesitation, new truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyFanatic

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
Hey, I just got a Voltage for fun as a gift from Amazon. I would really like a "What to check list". I'm getting back into RC and a lot has changed! lol. I've never had oil shocks for instance. Foam inserts???
But to this issue: Forward is fine, reverse hesitates 1-2 seconds so I cannot use it as a brake. Is this normal for ESC? My OLD MRC truck (18 yrs ago) had zero hesitation.
Then the wheels are nearly at full speed because I'm pushing reverse and I'd like to backup more slow. Are there ways to troubleshoot this?

My impressions: Those tires are heavy! Why so big? Yet it handles and turns very well, better than I expected. Love the styling. Need to learn the basic how to check this and that. I love to tinker. So, first things first! What is up with reverse?!?

Reverse on the remote is brake until you hit it again then it's Reverse. Like spanky said play with it and you'll get the hang of it.

Hey, I just got a Voltage for fun as a gift from Amazon. I would really like a "What to check list". I'm getting back into RC and a lot has changed! lol. I've never had oil shocks for instance. Foam inserts???
But to this issue: Forward is fine, reverse hesitates 1-2 seconds so I cannot use it as a brake. Is this normal for ESC? My OLD MRC truck (18 yrs ago) had zero hesitation.
Then the wheels are nearly at full speed because I'm pushing reverse and I'd like to backup more slow. Are there ways to troubleshoot this?

My impressions: Those tires are heavy! Why so big? Yet it handles and turns very well, better than I expected. Love the styling. Need to learn the basic how to check this and that. I love to tinker. So, first things first! What is up with reverse?!?
If you are saying that brakes are delayed, no that is not right. If you mean REVERSE is delayed, that is normal.

When going forward, the car should come to a complete stop before it will engage reverse. You will have to hold negative throttle to get it to brake all the way, release throttle to neutral, then reverse throttle again to engage reverse motion.

I don't know what ESC settings are available with the voltage but look at the owners manual, braking should be adjustable in the ESC by %.

the hesitation is normal, its the brake, just start playing with how it performs, it takes a bit to get used to it
Thanks, good answer, I understand. I did not know it had brakes.....What a bunch of great changes! I ran it around the yard, I'll order another batt tomorrow. NiMh for now since I have that type of charger.
Great answers. I'm going to run this on pavement and packed gravel. I assume the tires will wear fairly quick :D. Why type or brand to get as a replacement? Not looking for an argument, I went to H.Hobby and there were a lot of choices, but not what I would call a multi purpose tire.

Thanks, good answer, I understand. I did not know it had brakes.....What a bunch of great changes! I ran it around the yard, I'll order another batt tomorrow. NiMh for now since I have that type of charger.
Great answers. I'm going to run this on pavement and packed gravel. I assume the tires will wear fairly quick :D. Why type or brand to get as a replacement? Not looking for an argument, I went to H.Hobby and there were a lot of choices, but not what I would call a multi purpose tire.
It uses the motor as a brake. It applies resistance but not full reverse power to brake. Full reverse power would generally be very hard on the drivetrain.

It uses the motor as a brake. It applies resistance but not full reverse power to brake. Full reverse power would generally be very hard on the drivetrain.
I was wondering about that! I thought maybe it lead to the early breakage of the, what are they? Driveline cups? I think I would call them a U-Joint. Thanks

Just wanted to update you helpful drivers: I am learning the "let off the trigger" brake mode. I can do it, but I tend to panic, lol. I need more practice and it IS a good feature.
I run concrete and packed gravel. Do I need to worry about the tire wear? Would what I would call an all season tire (if there is one) work better than stock? The tires do slide a bit in tight turns. Fun! But I think I should ask the experienced. My OLD truck had ribbed tires front and traction rear and the nibs wore off quick.

As for "must do" things for these, check my recent post about the motor connectors. Also, buy a few packs of diff outdrives for spares. It is the week spot on these, but probably by design. The diffs are plastic and hard to replace. The diff outdrives are cheap and only take a couple of minutes to replace.

The esc brake protects your diff. Going from forward directly into reverse would frag your diffs. The forward/brake/reverse prevents this. Be careful though, as there is nothing preventing you from going directly from reverse to forward. That and landing jumps under full throttle are what strips the diff outdrives.

As for "must do" things for these, check my recent post about the motor connectors. Also, buy a few packs of diff outdrives for spares. It is the week spot on these, but probably by design. The diffs are plastic and hard to replace. The diff outdrives are cheap and only take a couple of minutes to replace.

The esc brake protects your diff. Going from forward directly into reverse would frag your diffs. The forward/brake/reverse prevents this. Be careful though, as there is nothing preventing you from going directly from reverse to forward. That and landing jumps under full throttle are what strips the diff outdrives.
Great Scott! Great advise! There is a lot of plastic and I wondered about those u-joints, or outdrives. Going online to get some now. Loving the truck, those BIG tires must generate a lot of stress on the steering, but it seems fine. The truck is a lot of fun and running my old MRC truck next to it is really telling. The new truck is faster, turns quicker and with a bigger battery to come, will run almost as long. I use NiMh batts for now. I'll do a search for your post. I'm not finding things easily, so that means I do not know the names for different things. I was surprised I could not find a "how to" on oil shocks for instance. Looking forward to learning more as I find even more fun in these trucks.
So, Thank you!

Back