Reverse polarity ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLXDiego

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Well today i got a bit too excited and i run zippy 6000 packs that are hardcase and the minus looked like the positive and then POOF my esc started smoking and the almost caught fire filling my thankfully open garage with smoke thank god its only a 40 dollar pack but i feel so embarrassed how can i remember to make sure this never happens again? The esc is toast but i took it apart and the fan upper fan case thingy is fine so i salvaged that and the on off button the trucks is fine just needs an esc any escs youd recommend or should i just replace nothing more than 60 bucks

How did you do that? What kind of connector is on it?

You can switch to a different connector...the XT connectors make it physically impossible to connect the battery backwards.

How did you do that? What kind of connector is on it?

You can switch to a different connector...the XT connectors make it physically impossible to connect the battery backwards.
You know what a hardpack is its when they use 4mm banana connectors to connect to the batterys and a normal connnector to the esc i put the negative to positive on accident and boom

Oh haha yup i got zippy 50c 6000 mah great battery but i think it could be fried what do you think?

I wouldn’t want a battery like that because of what happened to you. I’m not sure if it was damaged or not though.

Yeah its called a Hardcase right?

Hard case just refers to the fact that there is a hard case around the Lipo packs, it doesn't necessarily imply it has banana connectors. That's relatively rare in my experience.

Im on a bit of a budget for im a wee lad so i cant really be buying packs and esc and only had 500 bucks to work with from 4 months of work and wanted something to use after school but thanks for the suggestions i think i might put masking tape on the pos and neg sides with a minus and plus simple for the lighting in my garage made it look different

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Or pen the + and - on with a silver sharpie.
I avoid those types of battery because I just know I'd fry something.
Don't worry about an expensive ESC, like for like should be fine. Hope you manage to pick one up quickly.

Hard case just refers to the fact that there is a hard case around the Lipo packs, it doesn't necessarily imply it has banana connectors. That's relatively rare in my experience.
Actually removable leads on hardcase 2s lipo batteries is very common, especially with ROAR approved race packs.

@BLXDiego my nephew took one of my packs like this, plugged the leads in backwards then plugged it into my nimh wall charger..............luckily he didn't burn down the house.

Actually removable leads on hardcase 2s lipo batteries is very common, especially with ROAR approved race packs.

Odd. You have the potential reverse polarity problem and then the banana plugs could pop out. In my mind, you want fool-proof, durable connections for racing. Is there some appeal outside of being able to easily change the connector type?

Odd. You have the potential reverse polarity problem and then the banana plugs could pop out. In my mind, you want fool-proof, durable connections for racing. Is there some appeal outside of being able to easily change the connector type?
I've been using that style of battery for 3.5 years now and have not once had the connector come out of the battery.

A lot of race guys do not use battery connectors and will solder the leads directly to the esc. Having the removable leads in the battery makes it so you do not have to unsolder them after the race.

Some escs they just solder the bullets to the end of the esc leads then do it that way as well. Racers tend to use as few connectors as possible.

Last edited:

@BLXDiego my nephew took one of my packs like this, plugged the leads in backwards then plugged it into my nimh wall charger..............luckily he didn't burn down the house.
+1

Racers tend to use as few connectors as possible.

That's what I was thinking about, it's just another set of connectors to come loose or create resistance. If they are soldering to the ESC, the banana connectors make a little more sense to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back