Review of SWB Bulletproof Chassis 1/4 thick - Notorious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rook13pdx

Reaction score
I recently purchased the 1/4 Bulletproof chassis:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-SWB-Bulletproof-Chassis-Upgrade-1-4-6-35mm-7075-T6-Billet-Aluminum/143477185205?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Short story: new to the RC hobby, really mangled my Notorious on the first weekend out. Hit a curb and bend the chassis, steering towers, broke the diff housing, upper control arms, shock, pretty much everything. Took a while to gather all the parts for a rebuild and I didn't realize the steering towers were so crooked until after the initial rebuilt but it was never really straight. I wanted a solid chassis and foundation to start with. I was a little uncertain up front, it's a fair price if constructed as described, but I never feel certain about custom work and have been let down enough to generally have low expectations with most work.

Not this purchase though. Totally surprised.

It comes packed well, quickly, clean and smooth. No blemishes, out of the box it looks a little too good to bash...

Every, single, bolt is 100%. And I mean 100%, not finding the hole and threading it with the last 20% tightening it to make it fit - I mean every bolt is dead on. This was my biggest concern. A zillion bolts, all aluminum and ready to strip out. Zero issues though. I'm happy.

It's obvious this foundation is solid. The only issue I had was I needed to take off a bit by the rear control arms. you can see below I marked red and removed about 1/8th just to that they clear and can droop completely - but it was a very small amount of material, easy enough to grind off a bit. Everything else came back together perfectly. I finally have some good alignment. It's a little heavier, i.e. feels a little tougher...

46394226-9021-41E4-9DBF-FF784844C4B4.jpeg

33F533AF-BC79-4F0D-B5EA-E661BC2D1DD4.jpeg

263305D7-D26B-4601-9DDF-DE6F649329C6.jpeg

Is it just how the pictures look, or do the droop screws not line up with the tabs?

Tabs cover droop screws completely. This is where it was actually about 1/8 too wide, I ground it back just a bit. Fits perfect now.

722EC8C5-4BA2-4F0B-AE62-B56857CA5D7B.jpeg

78C49CD0-ACFB-4EA0-AB3F-61C197CFC130.jpeg

It is over the top. With all the breakfix upgrades I should just call the Notorious the “Ridiculous” at this point. Actually jumped my 45 degree ramp and bashed all day with nothing broken for the first time yesterday... that hasn’t happened before:oops::oops::oops::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

You have the new Notorious with the V5 chassis, that chassis appears to be designed for the old chassis design.

It does look different than the V5, but everything swapped over correctly.
Yeah iirc most of the stuff fits, but as you found out you had to make some clearance for the a arms.

Here is a shot of the front and back to see the difference, should have taken this earlier.

There is much more material in the back - I had to trim it back a bit down in the corner that is circled:

45638329-02B0-4969-BBEF-B52A92420079.jpeg

F3B090CD-FD3D-4753-A7C1-4F17C5D17A8C.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back