Typhon Reward build for kiddos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadbyexample2

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Have decided to help get the kiddos into the RC world, but not just all at once! Lol. Letting them decide which Mega series they want to get, and then part of “allowance” or “rewards” will be slowly adding parts to it. And please don’t say “just buy a 3s”. I know it’s better, but this is also a teaching tool as well

I’ve done plenty of repairs to RC’s and fully comfortable doing upgrades....my question is since this is going to be a slow build, what is the priority order OF the upgrades. Ex...can’t throw a brushless on first or risk stripping the gears.

any input would be greatly appreciated! Posted here because I hope the pick the Typhon. Lol

You seem to have a plan, If the Mega's work for you $practically$ speaking. Leave the BLX upgrade for much later. Play with tire changes and gearing. The kids will learn a lot from that. Meg brushed motors are so cheap to replace and with many other brushed alternatives. Some are dam fast winds etc. 12 turns and lower/and that may be more practical as you stated. Even rebuildable brushed motros are like $27. Good to teach the kids etc. That's where I started my 11yo son. Brushed RC's. Now he is bashing his own 6s stuff (Noto. and Infr. among others) Drives better than me I think.Just that the mega ESC's are not that durable. But the HH 2 year warranty has your back, FWIW. You might justify a 2s lipo for extended run times as one upgrade at some point. I've been doing this for 30 years. So my son always saw my rigs on the shelf since he was born. At about 6 years old he realized how they were more than just toys. He learned it was an RC hobby. So now he respects them like that.
Many here would only recommend the 3s 4x4's for adults. IDK. But these Mega's are really for the kids. Makes sense. For myself I would only buy the BLX's.
But I do have many brushed rigs here and they are pretty cool. All my Crawlers are Brushed motors also. So I know they are cheaper to replace the electrics and all.. I run them on 2s and 3s. I don't have the patience for Nimpacks.
Enjoy. :cool:
Welcome to AF.

Exactly my thought. The main reason for going with the mega series is the durability and ease of upgrades. Showing them what changing pinion gears can do, how the different tire size or gear ratio can affect the entire vehicle, and to have fun as a family doing it!!

I still say buy the brushless version and you can tone it down with a 2S pack. As you know, going the brushless route initially will be cheaper in the long run but aside from that, there is a two year warranty on the car including the electronics. You won't have that when you start piecemealing electronics together.

You'll be spending plenty of money just to keep the cars running ... new tires, the inevitable A-arm breakage. If your kids are anything like mine, they will find every immovable object to run into and break plenty of things in a typical bash session.

Although I see the value in what you're trying to do, I also agree that starting with brushless is a better route. You can swap pinions, turn down the power on the remote, run 2s, etc to limit speed and teach handling. I went brushless for my kids, and they've not suffered for it. After making them help me fix the first couple broken bits they both focused on control, and generally don't risk the damage. 😆 (can't say the same for myself). Brushless also gives them the option of going fast when we get into a backyard racing situation- keeps them giggling for hours and doesn't break as many parts. We also run in snow quite a bit, and the extra wheel speed makes a big difference. Just my $.02

I say let 'em drive it around and crash it. Once breakages start to occur take them along and teach them basic skills when fixing an RC and basic maintenance. Also, maybe teach them how to properly charge and store a lipo, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back