Ride height and Chassis slap problem OC 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exc3l

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
This is really getting to me now. I have tried to just forget about it but I really cant. I know chassis slap is good but from a 1.5 ft drop is really unnecessary. My front arms are completely flat and the droop is set so I don't pull my shock shafts out. My rear arms have a little slope to them. No extra weight really. I have my 2x 3s packs and upgraded shock towers and chassis braces. I'll also put a tape measure next to the car so you guys can see ride height and compare it to your trucks. For info I usually drive at the BMX track and set it pretty hard. 6-7ft jumps at most I would say. 80wt oil. Thank you!

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

EDIT: IK I am missing a shock pin. Its like 20 bucks for a new set. I have to go get it lol

Idk what tires those are but I run backflip 6s and they raise ride height real nice and they do a lot of absorbing as well. You could also get fireteam springs as they are more stuff than kraton or outcast

Have you tried higher tension springs? Front of my chassis sits EXACTLY 1/2 an inch off the ground but when I chassis slap, it's always the rear which sits 1 1/4 higher. Reason for this is early on in my build, it hit ALL THE TIME at front. I played with springs left and right. I have enough springs of various tensions to build a mattress. But what actually worked for me was doubling them up:
20220214_225804.jpg
20210823_172317.jpg

We have different applications though. Sounds like you need to slow the compression and only spring or oil will do that. I know some guys run diff fluid in shocks.

Backflip 6s diameter=203mm
Corally punisher (tires I am running)=170mm
Decent difference. Any other way of raising the height guys?
6s Backflips are only 172mm

The 8s 1/5th scale backflips are 203mm

Btw, I know my front shocks look *insert word for mentally challenged*. I know I barely have any shock function. There is 3/8 of an inch movement before bottoming out.
You should see them now, since i replaced front tower for a Limitless front tower. I have a whooping 3/16ths movement now!

But it works as long as there are no elevation changes.

Smaller hole pistons in shock will give you more pack with landing. I don't know what all options are but it effects the way the shock performs.

I would think thicker shock oil (or smaller hole pistons) as others have said would have more affect in this situation than slightly stiffer springs. (well, stiffer springs would also help, imagine a crazy stiff spring, it would obviously make a big difference).

When the Outcast is in the air for hardly any length of time at all, the shocks will have time to fully extend since no weight. The shocks resist fast changes in shock travel (but not as much to slow changes, and no force at all when just sitting on the table). The spring force doesn't depend on how fast it compresses, only how far it compresses. I know I'm just stating the obvious, but still maybe helpful. If you have really weak springs, the ride height might be lower from the weight of the vehicle, but if you have thick shock oil and long shock travel the low ride height doesn't necessarily mean a lot more body slap when you land from a jump.

Last edited:
One more thing; the spring CONTROLS the rebound as much as the compression. So the oil works alongside the spring in this regard. Meaning a strong spring and low oil weight will put Wilt Chamberlain's rebound record to shame.
So a shock should be thought of this way; the spring takes the hits and oil takes the bounce.
I have 3k differential fluid in those front shocks with stock pistons

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back