Kraton Right rear wheel keeps coming off, ruining wheels.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Mayhem

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Ripped a front tire, bought backflip lp’s.... while waiting for them to arrive I cleaned out my center diff and packed it full of silicone earplugs. When the new wheels/tires showed up I went for a rip. After only a couple passes back and forth in grass the right rear wheel goes flying. Tightened them like I normally do and never had an issue before. Luckily I have extra wheel nuts so I put another on even though the hex on the wheel looked like pretty much rounded off. Tightened the hell out of it per usual and one rip and boom wheel flys off. Wheel fully ruined. Ordered another pair of backflip wheel/tires. Decided to use medium strength loctite on all the wheel nuts. Let them dry overnight. Drive it a full battery pack and all is well. Go to drive it again, double check the wheel nuts and they still feel tight(didn’t turn them anymore) second pass by me and boom the same right rear wheel flys off, hex on wheel completely rounded. Hex on the kraton looks brand new still, almost brand new fast eddy bearings. No signs of a loose wheel that I can see before it comes off. I did a quick search and the only thing I found was someone’s bearings were bad and it was heating up the wheel enough to melt the hex. I felt mine to be sure and it was cool(only drove it maybe 30 seconds). Only things that changed were the wheel/tires and silicone earplugs in the center diff.

image.jpg

Yea a rounded hex will do this very thing. Heres what i do... Plumbers tape the threads on the hub. Tighten as usual and go bash like crazy. No worries there

How many serration bumps can you feel when tightening?

I’ve never counted, but I can feel several serrations and then it’s tight and I go a hair further. That’s how I’ve always tightened them and never had an issue. Is there a “torque spec” of some sort people use for RC car wheels?

Yea a rounded hex will do this very thing. Heres what i do... Plumbers tape the threads on the hub. Tighten as usual and go bash like crazy. No worries there

how many wraps do you do on the hex? Seems odd to do it on the same hex. Even though it looks brand new I think I’m going to replace it first, and wrap it as well just to know 100% it’s good. Hopefully.

I’ve never counted, but I can feel several serrations and then it’s tight and I go a hair further. That’s how I’ve always tightened them and never had an issue. Is there a “torque spec” of some sort people use for RC car wheels?

how many wraps do you do on the hex? Seems odd to do it on the same hex. Even though it looks brand new I think I’m going to replace it first, and wrap it as well just to know 100% it’s good. Hopefully.

I go 7or 8 serrations in from where you just start to feel them bump...I've never lost a wheel.. I can measure the torque if that is something your honestly interested in..

I literally put my EXB nuts on as hard as I can with the stock wrench. Never put a torque wrench to it, but it’s pretty tight. Hard to get them off sometimes ??‍♂️??‍♂️?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back