rock crawler bodies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankestein

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Was browsing through Amainhobbies and noticed a cool variety of clear rock crawler bodies. And was thinking that if they are good enough to withstand the beating of rocks, mud, scraping, they should be good enough for bashing. Some of them for clear body style, have more detail than regular bashing truck bodies, the reason I was checking that lineup.
pro3517-00_2.jpg

pro3509-00_1.jpg

Just a few to show as an example.

Has anyone tried them for bashing?

jco0313.jpg

For the most part they are made of the same lexan as basher bodies just a little bit thicker maybe like half a millimeter or so. We had a member on here that had one of the Proline Jeep crawler bodies on his Outcast I can't remember his name though. I do know that he did still reinforce it with shoe goo and drywall tape.

They are the same as any other body. Same lexan and same thickness. If anything they will be worse for bashing as they have a lot of squared corners, which is where bodies tend to crack.

They are the same as any other body. Same lexan and same thickness. If anything they will be worse for bashing as they have a lot of squared corners, which is where bodies tend to crack.
Yeah I wasn't for sure on that. I do know the hard bodies are thicker lol. I'm pretty sure they are mostly plastic and stuff like that.

Hardbodies are thicker but also heavier and the plastic isn't flexible so they wouldn't survive long.

Scale trucks don't really suffer much abuse, rolling over and falling a couple of feet now and then is nothing compared to what fast RCs go through :)

Yeah the hard bodies are of course thicker and a different type of plastic, but also cost $100 or more and will crack just as easy under bashing conditions.
Actually I prefer the thinner lexan bodies for bashing and I've become quite the jconcepts fanboy in that regard. They are still nice and light even with some reinforcing, and flex really well. proline bodies are thicker and tend to stress crack way easier when bashing/racing IMO.

Hardbodies are thicker but also heavier and the plastic isn't flexible so they wouldn't survive long.

Scale trucks don't really suffer much abuse, rolling over and falling a couple of feet now and then is nothing compared to what fast RCs go through :)
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Yeah, they rub rocks and take tumbles......but at 2 mph. If anything I would think that the basher bodies would be better built since those vehicles crash at 30-60 mph. I don't think that my crawler bodies are any thicker than my basher bodies and some places even shown some monster truck bodies when looking at crawler bodies.

The hardbodies are expensive and heavy and I would actually say that they will break faster on a basher since they don't have any flex to them.

I do have the Colorado body that @crankestein shows in the first picture on my SCX10.2 and the lip on the top of the tailgate sucks to paint since it comes out away from the vehicle so that it is very difficult to paint it. Other than that, I really like that body. I also have the Ford Raptor shown in the second picture for my Redcat Gen 8 and really liked painting that one but I don't really like how large the body is overall.

My China JK, short wheelbase :)
Just about the only hardbody you can get for under 50$. That, the long wheelbase (5dr) version and the Cherokee/Comanche all available on ebay/aliexpress.

Back on topic... I'm amazed at how some parts of the RC industry are slow to change and innovate. Proline didn't even offer a bash-proof body until those guys in Russia started making unbreakable bodies. And from what I've seen it's not nearly as tough as the Russian stuff.

View attachment 43889

My China JK, short wheelbase :)
Just about the only hardbody you can get for under 50$. That, the long wheelbase (5dr) version and the Cherokee/Comanche all available on ebay/aliexpress.

Back on topic... I'm amazed at how some parts of the RC industry are slow to change and innovate. Proline didn't even offer a bash-proof body until those guys in Russia started making unbreakable bodies. And from what I've seen it's not nearly as tough as the Russian stuff.
I have a blue unbreakable from Russia and am very happy with it. I sheared the bolts holding the shock tower to the front diff housing on my MT410 in a bunch of crashes and the body still looks like new.

I have a blue unbreakable from Russia and am very happy with it. I sheared the bolts holding the shock tower to the front diff housing on my MT410 in a bunch of crashes and the body still looks like new.
I break so many body posts since I got my unbreakable body, but they are cheap so it beats buying a body every few months. Ps I have had my unbreakable body for over a year now.
v9A7hRa.jpg
UsvH4lv.jpg
CUITxtQ.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back