Rock tumbling and jewelry making (Not RC related)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I’ve always loved collecting rocks and so does my step daughter. We go out several times per week looking for good specimens. Yesterday we hit the Guadalupe river and found some fantastic stones as well as a few pieces of petrified wood. The river is gorgeous and only 25 min from us. Now that it’s cooling down we nearly had it all to ourselves. The kid even spotted an armadillo, first one she’s ever seen 😊

82F6F809-156B-4C76-A07F-46CE2D4E1392.jpeg

D4839ADB-D671-4ED2-9BBF-CD029BAF7F5B.jpeg

0DA8AD3B-E659-4A63-8038-D759961CAE75.jpeg

Here’s the petrified wood we’ve found lately. Also some rocks on stage three and some that are finished. It takes 4-6 weeks to go from rough to beautiful. We spend hours togethor looking for rocks and fossils. It’s really nice to have found a common passion with my step daughter. Really really nice 😊

BE7546FA-6E76-4557-919D-BBAC19CC0316.jpeg

53D118F4-CD0D-43DA-9929-7365CF113766.jpeg

8CB8A2DB-68C7-4B49-91F9-EE7BBE39C4FC.jpeg

59D9ED1B-2617-4A38-81E3-D9C1BBBCD6AF.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve always loved collecting rocks and so does my step daughter. We go out several times per week looking for good specimens. Yesterday we hit the Guadalupe river and found some fantastic stones as well as a few pieces of petrified wood. The river is gorgeous and only 25 min from us. Now that it’s cooling down we nearly had it all to ourselves. The kid even spotted an armadillo, first one she’s ever seen 😊

View attachment 252736

View attachment 252738

View attachment 252752
Here’s the drift wood we’ve found lately. Also some rocks on stage three and some that are finished. It takes 4-6 weeks to go from rough to beautiful. We spend hours togethor looking for rocks and fossils. It’s really nice to have found a common passion with my step daughter. Really really nice 😊

View attachment 252756

View attachment 252761

View attachment 252762

View attachment 252763
So very cool!
I've always been curious about rock polishing but never tried it.
Man this forum makes you spend money on more than just RC's!!!:LOL:

View attachment 252736

View attachment 252738

View attachment 252752
Here’s the drift wood we’ve found lately. Also some rocks on stage three and some that are finished. It takes 4-6 weeks to go from rough to beautiful. We spend hours togethor looking for rocks and fossils. It’s really nice to have found a common passion with my step daughter. Really really nice 😊

View attachment 252756

View attachment 252761

View attachment 252762

View attachment 252763
Neat. We got a tumbler for the kids since we thought it would be cool. Realized we need a bigger house to do that in since it’s not exactly quiet. 🤣

View attachment 252736

View attachment 252738

View attachment 252752

View attachment 252756

View attachment 252761

View attachment 252762

View attachment 252763

Reminds me of those My-Pet-Rock days...

@Velodromed Have you guys tried to make any jewelry from you rocks yet? Even simple stuff like just drilling a hole and threading a string through it can be fun. :)
Yup we’re working towards that. With literally 4-6 week per batch it goes slow. Start with 3lb ugly rock and end up with a pound or less of pretty rock lol. But it’s fun and I can’t believe what some of these everyday rocks are like inside. A rock saw and drill are in our future I see.

I got my new green tumbler today. Dual 3lb barrels. It’ll work well for awhile till we can swing a 15lb, $300 ‘Thumbler’. I love it though… searching for rocks with the kid, I tumble them and she makes jewelry with the ones she likes.

D4CEDFFA-0AFB-4F66-B792-24A473C11785.jpeg

They go in like this and 5-8 weeks later come out like that lol. Petrified wood is my favorite and we’ve found nearly 15lb of it so far.

8D72F126-E511-4D4F-91E0-EED7CEF1E96E.jpeg

60EFC8BD-2EA4-4E58-AB74-4CD25DA6068F.jpeg

7ADE4F80-F14C-4723-9A61-A20C4A9359B5.jpeg

A7C669F7-7B89-430A-8A1E-35BFA31A7F8D.jpeg

F52E55D9-7BBC-43D7-9517-C2F86A028130.jpeg

I got my new green tumbler today. Dual 3lb barrels. It’ll work well for awhile till we can swing a 15lb, $300 ‘Thumbler’. I love it though… searching for rocks with the kid, I tumble them and she makes jewelry with the ones she likes.

View attachment 258130
They go in like this and 5-8 weeks later come out like that lol. Petrified wood is my favorite and we’ve found nearly 15lb of it so far.

View attachment 258131

View attachment 258132

View attachment 258133

View attachment 258134

View attachment 258135
Yep, won't be long and you will be looking for an industrial cement mixer to tumble with. 🤣

Cool set up! I really do need to dig out my dinky little tumbler. (y)

Yep, won't be long and you will be looking for an industrial cement mixer to tumble with. 🤣

That dinky little one on the left has amused me since last Christmas! I’ve had a blast with it. The kid grabs half or more as they finish different stages. I’m in the polish stage with 1.5lbs of amethyst now in the little guy. Bout 8 more days left in the 6 week tumble session.

Have petrified wood in one of the 3 pounders with a bunch of smaller rocks to mainly clean it up. It looks better a little bit rough sometimes. In the other are different color quartzites, churts, tiger eye and jaspers. I’ve learned more about rocks and geology in this last year then I have my entire life and it’s pretty cool.

I have always liked rocks, used to carry a polished stone in my pocket for years until I got a cell phone, then didn't think they should go in the same pocket. I have an odd assortment, don't know what most of them are, never even thought to look. I just know what I like when I see it. Mrs. Doom has some nice geodes and chrystals too.
That dinky little one on the left has amused me since last Christmas! I’ve had a blast with it. The kid grabs half or more as they finish different stages. I’m in the polish stage with 1.5lbs of amethyst now in the little guy. Bout 8 more days left in the 6 week tumble session.

Have petrified wood in one of the 3 pounders with a bunch of smaller rocks to mainly clean it up. It looks better a little bit rough sometimes. In the other are different color quartzites, churts, tiger eye and jaspers. I’ve learned more about rocks and geology in this last year then I have my entire life and it’s pretty cool.

I have always liked rocks, used to carry a polished stone in my pocket for years until I got a cell phone, then didn't think they should go in the same pocket. I have an odd assortment, don't know what most of them are, never even thought to look. I just know what I like when I see it. Mrs. Doom has some nice geodes and chrystals too.
Same here. They are just fascinating. We’re going to get a small wet tablesaw and diamond blade in the near future.

Would be fun to find some old river crossings with a metal detector. When you start finding chunks of horse shoes you can start sweeping the bottom for coin spills.
Interesting. That is a good idea and we have plenty of old river crossing here in Texas. We have a starter metal detector I got for my step daughter awhile back. I’ll get a better one down the line.

Here’s the one I want but at $325 it’ll wait till next year. They last forever at least and tumble 15lbs.

Attachments

• 3344C5E4-1DB3-4C21-AB82-7DF19FF78D16.png
    3344C5E4-1DB3-4C21-AB82-7DF19FF78D16.png
    529.2 KB · Views: 37
Interesting. That is a good idea and we have plenty of old river crossing here in Texas. We have a starter metal detector I got for my step daughter awhile back. I’ll get a better one down the line.

Here’s the one I want but at $325 it’ll wait till next year. They last forever at least and tumble 15lbs.
Yup between San Antonio and Austin there should be hundreds of crossings on the Guadalupe river.

My fiance has wanted a tumbler for a while. Is that 15lb Thumbler the one to get?

My fiance has wanted a tumbler for a while. Is that 15lb Thumbler the one to get?
I don’t know about starting out unless she is seriously into it. Might want to try one of the smaller dual 3 pound barrel models like below. Thumbler is a top and they last a long time. The one I got is a wire jewelry brand that supposed to be decent. It was $125. I know that the harbor freight ones and similar are crap.

There’s also the cost of the grit. Can you go through quite a bit of it especially the course grit. I’m going to start buying it in larger bulk amounts before long, I just need to do more research on it.
Thumler's Tumbler Model A-R2 Kit Rock Tumbler https://a.co/d/2A6L9Ve

666B6142-E41B-468C-8C74-7D1CB6458D73.png

Back