Rocket 1650kv motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that won't give up easily.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Notorious
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
I'm very curious about this motor and see others using it. Would it be too much for the BLX185 esc? If so, could someone suggest a Castle esc that would be comparable to the MAX 6 or best for this motor? I'm not well informed yet on electrics and don't have a grasp on variances. I might consider replacing my Mojave system.
Thanks for any insight you could offer.

1580081162234.png

I quite happily ran the 1650kv version on a Max8 in my Kraton for a while and it was fine..??

Excellent.? Would it be safe for me to assume that I'd probably run cooler with this motor on my 13+# Mojave?

The BLX185 is a 150 amp ESC. I don't see an issue if geared appropriately running 6S. The low KV of this motor needs 6S IMO. Must have a lot of torque for sure. Never use a motor that will draw more than the ESC can output. This Rocket motor (Himoto Brand) is rated 150amps and seems a match. ( at least on paper) Perhaps not enough overhead with the BXLX185?
:unsure:
I heard good things about Himoto. I have been eyeing Rocket for a while myself. I have one brushed Himoto 3650 in one of my Crawler rigs. Built nicely. I have no exp. with this Rocket though.
Let some others chime in.

I'm no gearing expert, but I would say so... 13T
I heard good things about Himoto. I have been eyeing Rocket for a while myself.
I think for the money you can't beat them..!! I payed like £32 for my 4082 and £40 for my 4092..win win..???

Good luck with a 4092 on a blx 185... even max8’s can’t handle those. If you’re going with that motor buy a mamba monster of any type or a max6

Last edited:
Well, my plan is to get to 18t pinion on that Mojave and with the stock system I'm nervous about the heat. I have the yeah racing dual fan to install yet but I'd rather do it right from the start rather than possibly ruin the esc that would serve me best as a backup to have around. As mentioned, I don't know how to pair motor and esc or how to project performance based on specs that I don't fully understand yet.
Which Mamba Monster is best or how do you feel about the Monster V2 Retro and would this be a good fit for this motor?

A monster 2 would be ideal because it’s wateproof and has a much better heat tolerance than the x. If you want the unique aspect of owning a rare mm2 retro, then by all means buy it. If you buy it expecting any extra umph over a standard mm2, it won’t provide anything extra- at all. Nothing. If you don’t care about waterproofness though, the monster 1 is the most capable of the whole series... but obviously they’re all old and not waterproof.

If you don’t feel like reading that, mamba monster 2 is definitely the best route.

A monster 2 would be ideal because it’s wateproof and has a much better heat tolerance than the x. If you want the unique aspect of owning a rare mm2 retro, then by all means buy it. If you buy it expecting any extra umph over a standard mm2, it won’t provide anything extra- at all. Nothing. If you don’t care about waterproofness though, the monster 1 is the most capable of the whole series... but obviously they’re all old and not waterproof.

If you don’t feel like reading that, mamba monster 2 is definitely the best route.

Thank you. I think for the environment I have to drive in, I should probably buy for waterproof.
I only see them list the MM2 "Extreme." Is there a non extreme version that you know of? Only curious, really.
I want to try Castle because I've not been satisfied with what I've read of the customer service / support with HW. Castle may not be more helpful but I'd like some peace of mind. I obviously understand "nature of the hobby" and all that and I've never made a warranty claim in my life with Arrma or any aftermarket manufacturers but who knows?

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-2-esc-010-0108-00

Thank you. I think for the environment I have to drive in, I should probably buy for waterproof.
I only see them list the MM2 "Extreme." Is there a non extreme version that you know of? Only curious, really.
I want to try Castle because I've not been satisfied with what I've read of the customer service / support with HW. Castle may not be more helpful but I'd like some peace of mind. I obviously understand "nature of the hobby" and all that and I've never made a warranty claim in my life with Arrma or any aftermarket manufacturers but who knows?

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-monster-2-esc-010-0108-00
So sorry for the late replies dude!

Anyway, the word extreme is used by sellers randomly... doesn't mean anything. When they say extreme they’re not referring to the esc name... it’s just that, since the mamba monsters came out they’ve been known as... extreme. As for warranties I’m willing to bet they’ll take fantastic care of you. The coolest thing about their warranty is their out- of- warranty warranty. If your esc is out of warranty and breaks, send it to them, get a new esc for 50% price ($102 shipped for an mm2 with that discount) with NO EXCEPTIONS.

Well there is one exception. Just somehow keep documentation of the esc purchase (aka a receipt) doesn’t matter who you buy it from as long as it’s new. For me I just take a picture of the box it came in and they’re like “yup send it in” so that works too. Also if your esc doesn’t come with a free castle link coupon, I recommend buying one as that’s like half the fun.

Anyway, the word extreme is used by sellers randomly... doesn't mean anything. When they say extreme they’re not referring to the esc name... it’s just that, since the mamba monsters came out they’ve been known as... extreme. As for warranties I’m willing to bet they’ll take fantastic care of you. The coolest thing about their warranty is their out- of- warranty warranty. If your esc is out of warranty and breaks, send it to them, get a new esc for 50% price ($102 shipped for an mm2 with that discount) with NO EXCEPTIONS.

Well there is one exception. Just somehow keep documentation of the esc purchase (aka a receipt) doesn’t matter who you buy it from as long as it’s new. For me I just take a picture of the box it came in and they’re like “yup send it in” so that works too. Also if your esc doesn’t come with a free castle link coupon, I recommend buying one as that’s like half the fun.

Perfect. Thank you very much for your help. The Castle Link is another reason I'm motivated. They've also somewhat recently released the Android app where ios was only available when I was checkin em out a while back. Seems out of stock still at Castle so I'll have to look around for another source. I'll buy just the Rocket motor I guess now with some Amazon credits I have and hopefully find the esc around at a fair price. ?

I would have to second the MM2 and Castle Link, do yourself a favor when you get the esc, chop off the power switch and solder the wires together, I am yet to have one of their switches last more than a week, and they are notorious for crapping out.

I would have to second the MM2 and Castle Link, do yourself a favor when you get the esc, chop off the power switch and solder the wires together, I am yet to have one of their switches last more than a week, and they are notorious for crapping out.

Easy enough. I often forget to use the power switches anyway when I'm disconnecting battery. Weird they wouldn't try to improve an obvious weak point but doesn't matter to me.

I’d like to testify! Mine on my revo has lasted 6 months so far, and it’s seen a lot of water!
My old mm2 one lasted 2 years. Ones before that hadn’t died under my ownership
Easy enough. I often forget to use the power switches anyway when I'm disconnecting battery. Weird they wouldn't try to improve an obvious weak point but doesn't matter to me.
I’d wait till it dies to snip it. And thankfully they did fix it with the mmx. It has a waterproof switch.

I'm looking to buy at EBAY but have had to contact a couple sellers with the question about whether the coupon for the CastleLink is provided in the package. Hopefully somebody will respond with positives.

edit: On the motor, are those fat bullets plug and play for the esc, MM2? Or do I need to pick up something different for fit?

I would have to agree they have amazing warranty. They replaced my mmx esc and my 2200kv motor. The best part is I sent in my motor for repair they sent it back and one of the screws that hold the end cap in place was stripped. I called them and they said that can’t be fixed we will send you a new one and in the mean time just use jbweld to hold the stripped screw in place. I put that motor in my infraction cause it’s just a speed car.
I'm looking to buy at EBAY but have had to contact a couple sellers with the question about whether the coupon for the CastleLink is provided in the package. Hopefully somebody will respond with positives.

edit: On the motor, are those fat bullets plug and play for the esc, MM2? Or do I need to pick up something different for fit?
They come with extra wires and connectors

Yes irrc the MM2 has 6.5mm bullets.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back