Granite Roof Skid plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godfella691981

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Has anyone else figured out anything to use for a roof skid plate? I'm thinking about ordering a Traxxas TRA8617, its the skid protector that comes on the top of the Rustlers I believe. I wish I could find some measurements of it to see if it can be mounted on the roof of the Granite

I'm sure if enough people ask tbone will make one for the Granite. They make those for tons of other vehicles.

Yea, it is a good idea, and it wouldnt just have to be a monster truck, even short course trucks could use protection on the roof. On my Granite the roof and right at the top of the rear end on the body gets it bad. I sent an email to tbone asking if they would send me a piece of the material they make the bumpers out of when I place my order I don't know if they will or not.

I rigged up something that might save the roof of my body shell from completely breaking.

I took an old license plate and cut off a piece the bent the front of it down so it sits flat on the roof now, in the front I used 2 screws that fit flush in the holes so it hopefully wont catch on anything if it flips. Im buying a back up body anyway so I figured I might as well try this.

don't LAUGH TO HARD....it might work!

Attachments

• 20181228_143345.jpg
    20181228_143345.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 124
Yeah, those screws are going to grind down pretty quick, but since it's the roof, it may last a while. Since your hacking at it, may have been better off bending a 90 for the back and sloping the front to match the windshield, then using double sided tape in the middle as a cushion, then put the the screws through the edges in the windshield and back window area so they don't make contact with the ground and the double sided tape helps spread the load across the entire roof vs just the screw holes.

Yeah, those screws are going to grind down pretty quick, but since it's the roof, it may last a while. Since your hacking at it, may have been better off bending a 90 for the back and sloping the front to match the windshield, then using double sided tape in the middle as a cushion, then put the the screws through the edges in the windshield and back window area so they don't make contact with the ground and the double sided tape helps spread the load across the entire roof vs just the screw holes.

Thats a good idea, I didnt think of that. I seen your post on the other thread about the delrin material, I might see if I can get some of it and make something up. Ive got to buy a new body anyway so I might as well experiment with this one, it isnt even a month old Ive flipped it 4 times and its ripped off the 2 front body pin holders bent the pins and on the rear of the shell the shock towers have busted the back right were the bed ends at the tailgate. I am hoping a proline brute body holds up better than the stock one.

Thats a good idea, I didnt think of that. I seen your post on the other thread about the delrin material, I might see if I can get some of it and make something up. Ive got to buy a new body anyway so I might as well experiment with this one, it isnt even a month old Ive flipped it 4 times and its ripped off the 2 front body pin holders bent the pins and on the rear of the shell the shock towers have busted the back right were the bed ends at the tailgate. I am hoping a proline brute body holds up better than the stock one.
I chewed through bodies pretty fast on my stampede 4x4 before I made a roll bar for it. The buckling of the body causes a lot of damage very quickly. Now that I added a roll bar inside to support the center of the body, it's lasted an entire year, vs the 2-3 bash sessions before.

I don't know if the granite has a roll bar or not, but might be something worth making if not.

I chewed through bodies pretty fast on my stampede 4x4 before I made a roll bar for it. The buckling of the body causes a lot of damage very quickly. Now that I added a roll bar inside to support the center of the body, it's lasted an entire year, vs the 2-3 bash sessions before.

I don't know if the granite has a roll bar or not, but might be something worth making if not.

The same thing happened with my redcat blackout xte pro, top of the rear shocks have went right through the body. The bodies just don't hold up. I don't even do any type of bashing just flat road runs and on grass, occasionally I jump the speed bumps out front but those are nothing. I don't think I've even had them 2 feet off the ground. Even when they have cartwheeled. My Redcat I mainly use for speed runs or on road use. The granite I got more for off roading since its built A LOT better and more ground clearance than the Redcat. I like both brands though.

I had an X-Maxx 6s shortly before I got my Granite and I actually like the Granite better some would call me crazy but for my own use and storage space the 1/10 scale is just better for me. Plus I had to have 2 3s batteries for every run on the X-Maxx which lasted about 15 minutes, I can take those same two batteries and get 2 runs plus triple the run time with the Granite.

I just made a fugly roll bar out of some overly soft aluminum I got at lowes. Wish it was some harder stuff, but considering the weight of the granite, it would probably work ok for it too. Wasn't too hard to make.

It's ugly as sin as I was going to revisit it and at least take off the sharp corners of the horizontal side pieces, but I never did...
2017-0422-StampedeRollBar01.jpg

I just made a fugly roll bar out of some overly soft aluminum I got at lowes. Wish it was some harder stuff, but considering the weight of the granite, it would probably work ok for it too. Wasn't too hard to make.

It's ugly as sin as I was going to revisit it and at least take off the sharp corners of the horizontal side pieces, but I never did...

If it flipped upside down wouldnt the screws just rip out of the sides of the chassis? Or do you run a body shell over this? It don't matter what it looks like really as long as it works thats all that matters.

If it flipped upside down wouldnt the screws just rip out of the sides of the chassis? Or do you run a body shell over this? It don't matter what it looks like really as long as it works thats all that matters.
I always run a body. The roll bar's only purpose is to keep the body from buckling when I land on the roof. It still gets tweaked a bit from time to time, but I just gently bend it back.

I have an updated picture of my roof skid plate on my Arrma Granite 3S BLX. The first time it has screw heads sticking up and was made of metal. This time it is made from a piece of material that T-Bone sent me along with my new bumper. Plus I put a piece of aluminum around the top edge of the tailgate.

And when I talked to Tbone Racing on the phone they said they would soon have a different rear bumper for the Granite 3s BLX.

Another thing, I called RPM Products today they have told me that after winter they are going to start making aftermarket parts for the 3S BLX lineup of RCs

BEFORE
20181228_143345.jpg

AFTER

20190109_003018.jpg

Why didn't you countersink the rear screws?

I have a 1/8" x 2" x 24X hunk of delrin coming in the mail today with my mcmaster order. Was thinking of replacing the aluminum roll hoop I made on my stampede 4x4s with delrin. Hoping I ordered thick enough. Regardless, I should have enough left over to make a roof skid like yours as I've ground through the body entirely on the roof of that thing. I need a new body, then I'll put a "wear bar" on top like you did.

Why didn't you countersink the rear screws?

I have a 1/8" x 2" x 24X hunk of delrin coming in the mail today with my mcmaster order. Was thinking of replacing the aluminum roll hoop I made on my stampede 4x4s with delrin. Hoping I ordered thick enough. Regardless, I should have enough left over to make a roof skid like yours as I've ground through the body entirely on the roof of that thing. I need a new body, then I'll put a "wear bar" on top like you did.

I didnt have a set of flat head screws to put in the rear last night I'm going to pic up some from the hardware store tonight. I need a new body for mine also. Its not worn through except at the back on the tailgate its almost busted completely off. I'm thinking about getting a Brute body for a Stampede and drilling out new holes for the body mounts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back