Rookie mistake and a question about "failsafe"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I turned my transmitter off before my Typhon 🤦‍♂️ and that thing took off like a bat outta hell. In a busy parking lot.

Thankfully nothing happened but it could've been so much worse. Definitely got my heart rate up.

Looking back, I'm surprised the receiver's failsafe mode didn't activate and kill the throttle. Excerpt from the manual is below.

Any ideas why that didn't work? Is there some setting I have to change?

DX3 transmitter
SR6110AT receiver
MMX 6S ESC

1672544853588.png

Failsafe has saved my cars many times.....far as I know you must turn reverse off..I like mine off,when cars way up the road where I can barely see it....all brakes is a must...I got tired of car rolling off the road when I thought it was stopped an it wasn't,,...I hold brakes alot..something y can't do with reverse..I shut off reverse,setup failsafe, then run car at about 20mph an shut radio off to test..

I was under the impression that when you calibrate your ESC to your TX is where the fail safe is set no? Last time I read up on that, at least with the Spectrum radios, is where I remember reading about that. And I've had two runways. A Felony on 8s (luckily the steering was stuck to the right), and a Kaiju. I'm almost 99% sure I didn't calibrate my ESCs that time 🤦. I make sure that I do it every time now.

I was under the impression that when you calibrate your ESC to your TX is where the fail safe is set no? Last time I read up on that, at least with the Spectrum radios, is where I remember reading about that. And I've had two runways. A Felony on 8s (luckily the steering was stuck to the right), and a Kaiju. I'm almost 99% sure I didn't calibrate my ESCs that time 🤦. I make sure that I do it every time now.

Failsafe is all in the RX/TX - nothing to do with the ESC. The RX tells the ESC what to do. If the RX says "GO!", the ESC pumps power to the motor.

Failsafe has saved my cars many times.....far as I know you must turn reverse off..I like mine off,when cars way up the road where I can barely see it....all brakes is a must...I got tired of car rolling off the road when I thought it was stopped an it wasn't,,...I hold brakes alot..something y can't do with reverse..I shut off reverse,setup failsafe, then run car at about 20mph an shut radio off to test..

Wow, that sounds like a bit of a risky test, if the failsafe isn't set the way you thought, and it rockets off into the distance :)

It seemed to me (reading about the failsafe in the manual) that maybe a good test would be putting the car up on blocks (wheels off the ground), give a steering input and throttle, and then turn the radio off? Or maybe even take the drive wheels off for a test, in case it tried to jerk itself off the blocks.

And that's an interesting point about reverse, and brakes, for the failsafe. It does sound nice to know that the brakes would go on, if the signal was lost. But I don't want to give up reverse, so I'd probably have to deal with it just rolling along in neutral.

Wow, that sounds like a bit of a risky test, if the failsafe isn't set the way you thought, and it rockets off into the distance :)

It seemed to me (reading about the failsafe in the manual) that maybe a good test would be putting the car up on blocks (wheels off the ground), give a steering input and throttle, and then turn the radio off? Or maybe even take the drive wheels off for a test, in case it tried to jerk itself off the blocks.

And that's an interesting point about reverse, and brakes, for the failsafe. It does sound nice to know that the brakes would go on, if the signal was lost. But I don't want to give up reverse, so I'd probably have to deal with it just rolling along in neutral.
I've already know it's going to work,or I would test it this way..my cars are all geared for 120-150mph minimum..I'm always running diffrent motors with diffrent braking power,so I do this to make sure brakes are good enough to stop car..2 of my cars are set at 95% on castle link an brakes are still very weak..here's a prime example of failsafe saving 1 of my cars..this car woulda been totaled for sure

160 mph?? Dear Lord :) That is wild, have fun!
Ya I've lost signal an totaled out a few cars,I had 1 keep going ran off in the ditch where the cattails a weeds are 8ft tall..took me 4 hrs to find it in the weeds in July high 90s heat..it was horrible

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back