Rounded out set screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninadada

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
  3. Talion
  4. Notorious
I'm performing a full Fast Eddie bearing upgrade on my Notorious. I know the set screws for pinions and diff cups are "notoriously" difficult to remove. Even with a liberal application of heat from a soldering iron, I've managed to round out the 2.5 mm hex socket set screw on one of my input diff cups. Just curious if anyone has found a successful method to remove a rounded out set screw.

You will probably need to drill it out and use an extractor, do you have a set of MIP brand Allen wrenches? If you don’t it should be your next upgrade. They are pricey but worth every penny do to the frustration your about to go through getting it out. Some times you can get lucky by pounding in a little larger Allen and getting it out.

I feel your pain ninadada I stripped a screw on screwing my shock tower into diff case or bulkhead whatever you call it... it is a giant pain in ass you can take a dremel and cut a slit in the top of the head and use a flathead screw driver from there. my solution i just bought new shock tower and diff case cause i stripped 3 of the 4 screws.....like Gt above said get a MIP set well worth it... i was inpatient and used poopy allen keys Arrma supplies and they wear fast and round your screws in no time. Lesson learned for me...be patient and wait for proper tools to arrive.

Third vote for the MIP drivers. (y)(y)(y)

MIP kit.jpg
new tools.jpg

That sucks I just rounded a set screw on my Erevo pinion trying to switch out to Robinson Racing gears. I ended up have to use a dremel and a cutting wheel...lots of sparks!!! Depending on where it’s at that may be a possibility
D8E330AC-985F-43D9-8CF3-DA5AF8911050.jpeg

Oh, and I have a really nice set of Wera drivers that don’t even come close in comparison. You will be tempted to buy the set that comes with more drivers...don’t do that, just go with the MIP’s. Yes, it’s like $10 a driver but it’s worth it.

You might want to consider using a left handed drill bit. I have had a lot of success with those. That said, never had to extract stripped screws since I got the MIP drivers. It even works on partially stripped screws, it's just that damned good!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just ordered the MIP hex driver bits on Amazon. Will give those a try.
I love mine! My old man doesn't do RC and has always been the authority on tools... But he was impressed when I showed him and I got some credit from him for finding something he would use himself. 48 years old and finally found a tool that pleases my father. :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back