Kraton Rpm arms what’s the deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m looking to use that high temp red engine paint sticks stupid good on plastic. Upper and lower arms will be painted, I’ll be the tester and post later today
I want to try SEM Colorcoat.
I was trying to see if there was anyway to get them to do a limited run of red... but it looks like it may be too expensive.. :(

I really wanted to do it... but they said qty 500 minimum of each part. So 500 fronts and 500 rears. Plus 80-200 setup per mold (2 molds, 1 front 1 rear). Gahhh
Woa woa woa back the truck up. Why do they need to make a new mold to make a different color? Them saying they need to make a new mold is complete malarkey.

I want to try SEM Colorcoat.

Woa woa woa back the truck up. Why do they need to make a new mold to make a different color? Them saying they need to make a new mold is complete malarkey.
I was thinking the same thing but maybe the dye penetrates the mold and could contaminate future batches? Not too sure on that one.. I know that red dye can reek havoc on other colors... don’t want their next batch of blue turning out to be purple... or do I ... ?... YES I DO! lol

Front done, rear tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 74
They answered...

“ Dear Mr (name removed),

Traxxas is the biggest name in radio control. It's a silly slogan but it's also a cold hard truth. Our product line for Traxxas vehicles tends to sell quite a bit more than our ARRMA line but more importantly, Traxxas rarely changes their vehicles. For example, our a-arms for the Traxxas Slash 2wd have been around for well over a decade and are one of our top selling parts. Additionally, colors other than black aren't nearly as popular so their sales are lower. Since our Traxxas products have shelf-life and longevity, we can offer additional colors without fear of a loss (American-made molds are not cheap to build) because we know how long they'll stick around.

As for ARRMA, the Kraton 6S, for example, has only been around for 4 or 5 years and it's already on version #4. Every time they make a change, our products stand a chance of no longer fitting, which means we can be stuck with product on the shelf that may never sell. Because of that, we're cautious with the ARRMA line. Don't get us wrong, we're still kicking out more and more parts for the ARRMA line, but most of them will be black with the possibility of blue, but since other color options aren't nearly as popular as black and blue, it is unlikely we will release additional color choices in the foreseeable future. I hope you understand our perspective on this topic.

Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.”
That is a very well written response.

That is a very well written response.
Yea, I was pleased with how they answered. Even came back at me with real figures when I asked about a limited run of the color red. If I was rich I’d totally spend like 20k and have the only red arrma a-arms in the world lol... like 1500 of them. Ha.

Last edited:
You should have asked them what's a minimum order for red.. I'd buy them ? sell them on eBay as LTD EDITIONS...???

I was trying to see if there was anyway to get them to do a limited run of red... but it looks like it may be too expensive.. :(

I really wanted to do it... but they said qty 500 minimum of each part. So 500 fronts and 500 rears. Plus 80-200 setup per mold (2 molds, 1 front 1 rear). Gahhh

You should have asked them what's a minimum order for red.. I'd buy them ? sell them on eBay as LTD EDITIONS...???
As soon as you do that, they now have sold enough to stock them ??‍♂️??‍♂️????

Gonna look sharp when it’s done ??
fragile process but will look like s**t After first bash looks good until then, Found bent arm hinges in the process. Looks good for now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 60
For my Tmaxx (is that an auto-censored word?) RPM made dye-able A-arms. They are transluscent white and you use fabric dye to make them whatever color you want. I did red on my Tmaxx and they came out great (no pics since Tmaxx is long gone).

Maybe get RPM to make dyeables for the Kraton, then anyone can do any color.

For my Tmaxx (is that an auto-censored word?) RPM made dye-able A-arms. They are transluscent white and you use fabric dye to make them whatever color you want. I did red on my Tmaxx and they came out great (no pics since Tmaxx is long gone).

Maybe get RPM to make dyeables for the Kraton, then anyone can do any color.
They don't make the dyeable ones for anything anymore last I checked ?

First I will say that this response is awesome and I will continue to buy RPM parts no matter what car I get. But regarding the molds, that does not make any sense. You are changing the color of the plastic, not making a new mold. Couldn't they just use the same mold but use the red plastic formulation? Any machinists or people that make this kind of stuff for a living out there that could explain the need for a diff mold just because the color changed?

First I will say that this response is awesome and I will continue to buy RPM parts no matter what car I get. But regarding the molds, that does not make any sense. You are changing the color of the plastic, not making a new mold. Couldn't they just use the same mold but use the red plastic formulation? Any machinists or people that make this kind of stuff for a living out there that could explain the need for a diff mold just because the color changed?
I thought it might have something to do with the dye they use ??‍♂️

Guys.
It’s simple.
Color options are user selected. If you make several colors there’s a risk that less popular colors sit on the shelf and don’t get used. This means higher prices on all parts to make up for the wasted colors that don’t sell well. What happens to the non selling colors? They sell them, (if they’re lucky) at cost. Usually for less than cost to get rid of them.
Solution?
Go with black.
It worked on the Model T for a similar reason. It took extra time, resources, and storage space to do multiple colors. Which is why you could get them in any color you wanted, as long as it was black.

Another factor to consider is that sometimes adding a particular color dye to paint or plastic can weaken it. This probably isn’t the case here, but it can be a factor.
Examples...
Red is the most expensive color for most paint due to the price of the dyes.
Gold Legos are much weaker than other colors.
There are other examples but you get the point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back