Rubber Sealed Bearing Maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
This is probably a stupid question but my dad always said the stupidest questions are the ones that are never asked. How do you maintain a rubber sealed bearing? Is there a way to lubricate inside the bearing? Or do you just clean the dirt off the outside? I’m really not sure what to do. Thanks!

I seen a couple videos where people use WD40 with a bearing blaster (could have the name wrong) to clean them, then put lube in the bearings. Some vids I seen people put grease, others I seen them put a light bearing oil.

Just posting here because I don't know and want to see what others have to say. Im going to be using my cars in the winter and would like to know how to properly maintain the bearings as well

I seen a couple videos where people use WD40 with a bearing blaster (could have the name wrong) to clean them, then put lube in the bearings. Some vids I seen people put grease, others I seen them put a light bearing oil.

Just posting here because I don't know and want to see what others have to say. Im going to be using my cars in the winter and would like to know how to properly maintain the bearings as well

I always assumed that rubber sealed bearings were meant to keep water and dirt out of the inside of the bearing. If you can put lube inside the bearing, then I guess the rubber seal isn’t doing its job. That’s why I’m not sure if you have to try to do anything to the inside, like lube or clean. Honestly, I’ve never done anything but clean them off. If they feel crunchy or if the seal has lifted, then I replace them. But if there is a proper way to maintain them I’d like to know.

You have to take the rubber seal off. In the video I seen they use a hobby knife to pluck it out. Ill try and find it

I think this is it

Pull all the bearings and remove all rubber seals with the tip of an exacto knife.

Clean both sides of the seals with a toothbrush and solution of 1:4 simple green and water.

Take all the bearings (minus seals) and put them in a large mouth plastic bottle (Gatorade bottle works well) with 4 or 5 ounces of acetone. Put lid back on bottle and shake well for 5 minutes l. Acetone will dark grey to black depending on how dirty they are. Drain dirty acetone and refill with fresh acetone. Shake well for 5 more minutes.

Drain acetone and dry bearings. Spin each bearing individually to ensure operation is smooth and not gritty.

Install one clean rubber seal on each bearing and add 3 drops of __________ (insert whatever brand of thin oil you prefer here)
I use a synthetic oil called SuperLube or regular old 3to1 oil.

Reinstall rubber seal and spin each bearing to ensure smooth operation

Done

Pull all the bearings and remove all rubber seals with the tip of an exacto knife.

Clean both sides of the seals with a toothbrush and solution of 1:4 simple green and water.

Take all the bearings (minus seals) and put them in a large mouth plastic bottle (Gatorade bottle works well) with 4 or 5 ounces of acetone. Put lid back on bottle and shake well for 5 minutes l. Acetone will dark grey to black depending on how dirty they are. Drain dirty acetone and refill with fresh acetone. Shake well for 5 more minutes.

Drain acetone and dry bearings. Spin each bearing individually to ensure operation is smooth and not gritty.

Install one clean rubber seal on each bearing and add 3 drops of __________ (insert whatever brand of thin oil you prefer here)
I use a synthetic oil called SuperLube or regular old 3to1 oil.

Reinstall rubber seal and spin each bearing to ensure smooth operation

Done

So just replace them. Got it ;) :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back