Senton Rubber sealed bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could last longer but if they let water in it could be worse. It would make it more work to get the water back out too. I avoid running in the rain or snow for this reason. But if you don’t mind the extra work, it’s not the end of the world. I’m just more lazy than some.

They could last longer but if they let water in it could be worse. It would make it more work to get the water back out too. I avoid running in the rain or snow for this reason. But if you don’t mind the extra work, it’s not the end of the world. I’m just more lazy than some.
I can relate to the laziness

They do rust just like the others.. even a sealed bearing isnt completely sealed.. if you want to run In the rain or snow i would invest in a set of stainless bearings. Or ceramic with stainless races.. but both come at a cost, one more than the other..

For the cost of ceramic bearings would it be cheaper to buy a few sets of rubber sealed bearings and just change them as needed?

Anyone tried rubber sealed bearings from places like Ali express? Surely RC companies are just buying in bulk from places like that and repackaging them as RC bearings and adding a premium price.

I just buy Eddy’s in bulk. I don’t buy the kits anymore. I have enough on hand to do two swaps at least.

I just buy Eddy’s in bulk. I don’t buy the kits anymore. I have enough on hand to do two swaps at least.
Are most of the bearings the same size in the Senton? I know there are some larger bearings but it looks like the bearings that are exposed are about the same size... I've not had any bearing issues since getting the Senton so I'm in no rush to replace but having the right thing on hand might be a good idea... though I'm gonna run the stock bearings till the wheels fall off ;)

For the cost of ceramic bearings would it be cheaper to buy a few sets of rubber sealed bearings and just change them as needed?

Anyone tried rubber sealed bearings from places like Ali express? Surely RC companies are just buying in bulk from places like that and repackaging them as RC bearings and adding a premium price.

I'd say buy a set and see what happens in your situation first. Then buy individual as needed. Eddy's is good. I like AVID Racing and the AVID come in the kit with steering bearings to replace bushings. After we have a couple or few trucks we have extras and can just buy as needed...at first though, kits cost less.

At AVID we can maybe add or replace individual kit items with ceramic etc
https://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=2898&kitname=Senton+4x4+3s

Rubber sealed will better keep out dirt and keep lube inside but not so much water. Water gets past the seals. And chromium BB's always rust when wet. The Balls rust and the bearings get bricked fast. I see stainless steel BB's starting to showing up now. Ceramics have their purpose. I just cant justify them for bashing. Ceramics wear out just as fast because they are "Hybrid ceramics". And Full ceramic bearings are cost prohibitive for this hobby and generally not found as kits for RC.
I tried kits from FE, DSM, RBRC. DSM claims to use Marine grease. They feel the stiffest when new. RBRC says they use a high grade commercial lube. Don't know what it is. But it seems way smoother than the DSM's when new. The FE bearings don't claim to use any specific type of lube or oil. I find that they all wear out the same. And that you can find a new defective BB in a kit also. I found that common in all of those brands. I spin test bearings out when new on my dremel tool. The owner of RBRC said it good break them in.. And a bad one will show up out the gate.

Last edited:
Rubber sealed will better keep out dirt and keep lube inside but not so much water. Water gets past the seals. And chromium BB's always rust when wet. The Balls rust and the bearings get bricked fast. I see stainless steel BB's starting to showing up now. Ceramics have their purpose. I just cant justify them for bashing. Ceramics wear out just as fast because they are "Hybrid ceramics". And Full ceramic bearings are cost prohibitive for this hobby and generally not found as kits for RC.

Thats why I like AVID. We can easily build our own kits and learn in the process what we need or don't need with low investment.

Yes a good hybrid bearing is expensive but for certain applications like say a motor I only use the best. Everything else I just run stainless steel at the wheels and a cheaper hybrid in the diffs. Warning don't use hybrid on your wheels or steering if you are a basher.. ceramic can not take impacts well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200110-064439_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200110-064439_Samsung Internet.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 60
Are most of the bearings the same size in the Senton? I know there are some larger bearings but it looks like the bearings that are exposed are about the same size... I've not had any bearing issues since getting the Senton so I'm in no rush to replace but having the right thing on hand might be a good idea... though I'm gonna run the stock bearings till the wheels fall off ;)
I have three 4x4 series rigs; Granite 3S, Typhon 3S, and Kraton 4S. They all use very similar sets of bearings. Enough so that I just buy large amounts of the common ones and then a smaller amount of the uncommon ones.
I'd say buy a set and see what happens in your situation first. Then buy individual as needed. Eddy's is good. I like AVID Racing and the AVID come in the kit with steering bearings to replace bushings. After we have a couple or few trucks we have extras and can just buy as needed...at first though, kits cost less.

At AVID we can maybe add or replace individual kit items with ceramic etc
https://www.avidrc.com/flexkit/?kit=2898&kitname=Senton+4x4+3s
Fast Eddy has started including the steering bearings in some of his kits. We still need to verify when buying, but the last guy I helped, I noticed the 5x10x4 (x4) were included.

I have three 4x4 series rigs; Granite 3S, Typhon 3S, and Kraton 4S. They all use very similar sets of bearings. Enough so that I just buy large amounts of the common ones and then a smaller amount of the uncommon ones.

Fast Eddy has started including the steering bearings in some of his kits. We still need to verify when buying, but the last guy I helped, I noticed the 5x10x4 (x4) were included.

I bet there's no difference between the top brands in quality. I like the AVID because I can build the kit with specifics and get free shipping at $50. They have some other bling I've bought like wing buttons to get to the free shipping min and I like their Slip bearing oil in the hypodermic dispenser.

I bet there's no difference between the top brands in quality. I like the AVID because I can build the kit with specifics and get free shipping at $50. They have some other bling I've bought like wing buttons to get to the free shipping min and I like their Slip bearing oil in the hypodermic dispenser.
You are correct they all use the same quality abec 5 rubber sealed bearings. Even most of your ceramic hybrid meet the same standards just roll a little better and need oiling less.

Bit of a thread resurrection...

I changed several bearings on my son's Granite yesterday night for Fast Eddy Bearings. One of the front hub bearing was completely seized. I found that all the bearing from the Fast Eddy kit were low on grease and some were almost completely dry. I recommend popping the seal of the new bearing to check this out and add grease if needed. I will do this to the rest of the kit and to my Kraton bearing kit as well, so that they are ready to be installed when I need them.

The difference in smoothness is so worth it. Wow! Excellent upgrade to do rapidly on a new rig!

I changed several bearings on my son's Granite yesterday night for Fast Eddy Bearings. One of the front hub bearing was completely seized. I found that all the bearing from the Fast Eddy kit were low on grease and some were almost completely dry. I recommend popping the seal of the new bearing to check this out and add grease if needed. I will do this to the rest of the kit and to my Kraton bearing kit as well, so that they are ready to be installed when I need them.

The difference in smoothness is so worth it. Wow! Excellent upgrade to do rapidly on a new rig!
Yup always check your bearings before putting them in the quality control is over the place on all the budget bearings
The most important bearings are the ones from the differentials if one goes out bye bye differential ring gear in my case the plastic housing completly melted

Yep. smart to check for grease/lube when new. (y) I've been finding dry bearings when new out the package all the time. I've said that many times here on AF. FE mostly, but sometimes even with TRBC and DMC O/R. Once you start to check them, then you notice one here and there, before installing. So you just add a bit to most/all of them. (1/3 filled) Too much goes against you and can blow out the seals at high revs. Spin them up after to expel any extra grease and double check that seals stay in place.
Dry new bearings happens frequently. Many don't do this and end up with bricked bearings after just a few runs, wondering why. My bearings last way longer now.:cool:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back