Rubber shielded motor bearings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I've seen conflicting opinions throughout various threads on this forum. I've had issues with bearings getting crunchy, especially motor bearings. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-son-knows-how-to-kill-an-rc-faster-than-i-do.57800/

Jims has abec 5 rubber shielded bearings. Do you think they are worth getting instead of the regular metal shielded ones? Seems to be basically same specs as the regular metals shielded motor bearings.
Screenshot_20221217-164230_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221217-164159_Chrome.jpg

I don't have much experience in terms of replacing motor bearings as it just hasn't been necessary as of yet. But when the time comes, I'm going with ceramic hybrid metal shield bearings. They only cost a few bucks more and they're just better. But that's just me. I'm sure those would work too.

I don't have much experience in terms of replacing motor bearings as it just hasn't been necessary as of yet. But when the time comes, I'm going with ceramic hybrid metal shield bearings. They only cost a few bucks more and they're just better. But that's just me. I'm sure those would work too.
Would you still go for ceramic hybrid metal shielded in a motor that you know a son or daughter would be continually destroying bearings in? ;)

I've seen conflicting opinions throughout various threads on this forum. I've had issues with bearings getting crunchy, especially motor bearings. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-son-knows-how-to-kill-an-rc-faster-than-i-do.57800/

Jims has abec 5 rubber shielded bearings. Do you think they are worth getting instead of the regular metal shielded ones? Seems to be basically same specs as the regular metals shielded motor bearings.
View attachment 263346
View attachment 263347
Wouldn’t the rubber shielded ones be a potential problem in the motor where heat could possibly melt the rubber?

Metal shield keeps the bugs out but not the fine powder dirt. The rubber seal bearings keeps the fine powder dust out. In automotive any bearing exposed to the elements will have a rubber, not really rubber, seal to keep the elements out. Yes, go with the rubber sealed bearings al least over the metal shield. Retired HD mechanic. And no, heat is not a problem, the material is designed to stand the heat. The seal is a special compound and not rubber.

View attachment 263346
View attachment 263347

The first bearing you listed does not appear to be a motor bearing and I would never run a standard bearing in a motor as they are not rated for the same speeds.

The first bearing you listed does not appear to be a motor bearing and I would never run a standard bearing in a motor as they are not rated for the same speeds.
What specs should one look for. for a motor bearing?

What specs should one look for. for a motor bearing?
It will specifically state motor bearing. I cannot remember what the exact differences are but iirc most motor specific bearings are rate for 50k+ rpms while a standard bearing might be rated for 10-40k rpms.

It will specifically state motor bearing. I cannot remember what the exact differences are but iirc most motor specific bearings are rate for 50k+ rpms while a standard bearing might be rated for 10-40k rpms.
Normally I'd agree. But looking at the specs, they are both the same. And the costs match up. Jim's doesn't sell regular bearings for $2 each. Only motor bearings. Both abec 5. Seems to match up.

Interesting question. How do they kill motor bearings so consistently?
Me: "don't drive through that water."
Kid: drives through water.
Me: 🤦‍♂️
Abec has nothing to do with the speed of the bearing. Abec is the tolerance of the bearings. Bocas motors bearings are ABEC 7.
Perhaps, but i've never seen a motor bearing that's less than abec 5. Might just shoot jims bearings a message to ask, cause with how identical the specs are, it's definitely a consideration.

Me: "don't drive through that water."
Kid: drives through water.
Me: 🤦‍♂️

Perhaps, but i've never seen a motor bearing that's less than abec 5. Might just shoot jims bearings a message to ask, cause with how identical the specs are, it's definitely a consideration.
You could always go baller status https://www.bocabearings.com/products/smr625c-2os-7-nb2-18172

Jim, I can't remember the guys name off the top of my head from TRBRC and Boca are always more than willing to answer your questions.

-edit- And I lied Boca has an ABEC 3 motor bearing and some are rated at 5 https://www.bocabearings.com/products/smr625c-zz-3-l55-2654

-edit2- for wet conditions I would recommend either a stainless steel motor bearing or a hybrid ceramic motor bearing.

-edit3- Like these https://trbrc.com/trb-rc-5x16x5mm-hybrid-ceramic-brushless-motor-ball-bearings-2/

Last edited:
You could always go baller status https://www.bocabearings.com/products/smr625c-2os-7-nb2-18172

Jim, I can't remember the guys name off the top of my head from TRBRC and Boca are always more than willing to answer your questions.
Tempting. But like I asked Diem Turner above, would you outfit those in a motor that was going to be.... less well taken care of? By a 6 year old?

I'll put it this way: if I knew they would last the life of the motor under dirty/wet and low maintenance conditions, I might seriously consider them.

I've had good luck, my 3s models aside, with the TRBRC hybrids. Nothing I put in my 3s Arrmas has lasted more than 3-4 runs because of that stupid motor module design, I only run in dirt or gravel, I even tried the $50 in Bocas and they only lasted 3-4 runs before they were packed full of dirt and ruined. I've given up on the Typhon and only let my nephew run the Senton every once and while. I've had that truck for almost 3 years and have maybe driven it a couple dozen times, I've either replaced or had to clean and relube the bearings at least 6 times in the motor.

I kept remember when i changed bearings from my 4274sd g2 hobbywing 2250kv motor that the front bearing was sealed with rubber.
for the rear it isnt necessary.

The rear Hybrid motor BB should have the rubber seal facing the armature. With a closed endbell.
If the rear endbell is open, exposing the armature shaft, place the rubber seal outward.

I've had good luck, my 3s models aside, with the TRBRC hybrids. Nothing I put in my 3s Arrmas has lasted more than 3-4 runs because of that stupid motor module design, I only run in dirt or gravel, I even tried the $50 in Bocas and they only lasted 3-4 runs before they were packed full of dirt and ruined. I've given up on the Typhon and only let my nephew run the Senton every once and while. I've had that truck for almost 3 years and have maybe driven it a couple dozen times, I've either replaced or had to clean and relube the bearings at least 6 times in the motor.
I've been contemplating this since Sunday. That was really the crux of my post: the 3s power module kills bearings--so does buying more expensive bearings prevent that or just end up being a waste of money?

I'm leaning towards just continuing with el cheapo. If I'm going to replace them regularly, might as well spend $2 every 10 runs than $15 every 20 runs.

Might even try the rubber sealed one from my OP. Couldn't hurt. And maybe it would keep the dirt out a while longer.

I don't own any 4x4 rigs. But many guys who clean out the PM often enough, have less issues. Need to be on top of your BB's also. Becuse when they blow out, this is what ruins the motor armature. Eating motors. Lube the motor's cleaned out BB's with a synthetic oil

I've been contemplating this since Sunday. That was really the crux of my post: the 3s power module kills bearings--so does buying more expensive bearings prevent that or just end up being a waste of money?

I'm leaning towards just continuing with el cheapo. If I'm going to replace them regularly, might as well spend $2 every 10 runs than $15 every 20 runs.

Might even try the rubber sealed one from my OP. Couldn't hurt. And maybe it would keep the dirt out a while longer.
Now that I think about it no the rubber seals did not help. As my slipper bearings were rubber sealed and those always got packed with dirt too.
I don't own any 4x4 rigs. But many guys who clean out the PM often enough, have less issues. Need to be on top of your BB's also. Becuse when they blow out, this is what ruins the motor armature. Eating motors. Lube the motor's cleaned out BB's with a synthetic oil
As I have said in other threads it needs to be done every 3-4 runs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back