Run away Max5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a2lowvw

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Talion EXB
  7. Typhon TLR
  8. Vorteks
After a fun filled afternoon I was starting to clean up and load things back into my truck. I typically just feel the car and see if the fans are running. I thought my outcast was turned off but the fan had failed and when I turned the transmitter off the truck took off and ended up getting ran over by a Volvo. I’m super lucky as the car is fine minus some damage to the body and a couple scrapes on the aluminum chassis. Other than always checking to see if the car is off what is a fool proof way to prevent this from happening?

It’s and outcast 8s using a HW Max5, Spektrum DX5C radio, Srs6000 receiver

9AECDA37-7007-4114-B28E-0145886C57CA.jpeg

60D3EACB-CFD4-44C6-A5F5-A1A35DA9BA2C.jpeg

After a fun filled afternoon I was starting to clean up and load things back into my truck. I typically just feel the car and see if the fans are running. I thought my outcast was turned off but the fan had failed and when I turned the transmitter off the truck took off and ended up getting ran over by a Volvo. I’m super lucky as the car is fine minus some damage to the body and a couple scrapes on the aluminum chassis. Other than always checking to see if the car is off what is a fool proof way to prevent this from happening?

It’s and outcast 8s using a HW Max5, Spektrum DX5C radio, Srs6000 receiver

View attachment 206231

View attachment 206232
Damn!! Did you get their insurance card at least!?🤣 That is weird though, I thought the runaway issue was a thing of the past? I mean, I haven't experienced that kinda issue since radios used crystals, and THAT was a LONG time ago..
TBH I forget to turn the radio off routinely 🤪 but IDK what can be done other than unplugging the battery.
Glad she wasn't hurt too bad.

Lucky for everyone the dude who hit it was one of the guys bashing with us. He hit it with both wheels and was only going 5-10 mph as he just pulled out onto the street to leave. If I hadn't been close and able to grab it when I did it would have continued to speed away. It could have been much worse and I'm thankful that nothing more happened. I'm just trying to figure out a good way to keep me or my kid from having an issue again.

Well, I guess YOU won't forget again any time soon? Now you have to learn the kid. JK with ya.
Maybe an additional led or light wire up? They sell all kinds of lights for rc's. Hopefully it never happens again.

I do practice ESC off and radio last...

BUT I thought once you calibrated the TX/RX after doing all the tripper pulls for neutral, throttle, brake, right, and left that the failsafe prevents this from happening??? @morrjr71

Last edited:
When it ran away, was it in reverse?

I asked the group we were with if anyone knew for certainty which direction it was going, heat of the moment I don't remember.
I do practice ESC off and radio last...

BUT I thought once you calibrated the TX/RX after doing all the tripper pulls for natural, throttle, brake, right, and left that the failsafe prevents this from happening??? @morrjr71

I thought so. but clearly not 100%. I checked the truck and transmitter when I got home and throttle trims were centered on the remote. Powered it up ran it outside for a minute and then brought it inside the garage and held the outcast off the ground and powered off the remote and nothing happened so, I'm at a little bit of a loss.

Was there anyone else at the location who was still running? Don't these radios have frequency hopping? Perhaps the receiver switched frequency after you shut the radio off? Not likely, but?
Out of curiosity, I would pull the wheels or pinion and turn the truck on without the radio just to see if it happens again. It is scary when a rig takes off unexpectedly.😮
I've noticed on TRX rigs,if I forget to turn the radio on first, the rig won't connect until I cycle the rig off/on again after turning the radio on..
I always found it annoying but considering the alternative, not so much now.

There were probably 10 other guys running stuff while it happened and I would guess that over half of them are running Spektrum radio's.

Perhaps your receiver did indeed pickup someone else's signal. As to a fail safe, that's a tough one.. I know it sounds silly, but it really wouldn't be hard to just simply run a light or led off an open channel on the receiver if one is available. Low watt led mounted on the chassis?

I wasn't trying to be an a**hole when I said you won't forget. It's quite a memorable event when it happens😱

When binding the radio, the fail safe can be set to a brake (reverse throttle signal). When the ESC's last position before signal loss was either a full stop brake or reverse, the receiver may have sent a reverse throttle signal to the ESC, which may have made the ESC reverse and run away, instead of brakes

The receiver doesn't differentiate between brake and reverse - the ESC does. It just sends a reverse throttle signal. This is why I always set my fail safe to neutral instead to brake (/reverse)

Was there anyone else at the location who was still running? Don't these radios have frequency hopping? Perhaps the receiver switched frequency after you shut the radio off? Not likely, but?
Out of curiosity, I would pull the wheels or pinion and turn the truck on without the radio just to see if it happens again. It is scary when a rig takes off unexpectedly.😮
I've noticed on TRX rigs,if I forget to turn the radio on first, the rig won't connect until I cycle the rig off/on again after turning the radio on..
I always found it annoying but considering the alternative, not so much now.
yes it is scary it happened to me years ago with an fg marder luckily the carpark was empty it ended up hitting a tree bending the chassis and turning upside down :(

Really sounds like a freak incident to me, especially knowing there were others running with same/similar radios.
The failsafe, from my understanding is supposed to return throttle and steering to neutral positions. If however, another radio is on..and being used,IDK it may very well have picked up the OP signal.
Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you.
I'd love to say I always turn the radio on first, off last,but that's not always true😏
Good luck bro👍

As stated above... Unplug those batteries, this will surely prevent a runaway..

@Yas has a good point above.. I would surely look into how the failsafe is setup.. I'm sure a user manual can easily be found online or tutorials on how to set it up so it can't be a runaway..

Perhaps your receiver did indeed pickup someone else's signal. As to a fail safe, that's a tough one.. I know it sounds silly, but it really wouldn't be hard to just simply run a light or led off an open channel on the receiver if one is available. Low watt led mounted on the chassis?

I wasn't trying to be an a**hole when I said you won't forget. It's quite a memorable event when it happens😱

After surviving the early 00's on VWVortex where the troll's were brutal I have very thick skin. Honestly I figured posting here would bring some awareness and hopefully help someone else from having the same issue down the road. I'm willing to admit my mistakes and try to prevent it from happening.

When binding the radio, the fail safe can be set to a brake (reverse throttle signal). When the ESC's last position before signal loss was either a full stop brake or reverse, the receiver may have sent a reverse throttle signal to the ESC, which may have made the ESC reverse and run away, instead of brakes

The receiver doesn't differentiate between brake and reverse - the ESC does. It just sends a reverse throttle signal. This is why I always set my fail safe to neutral instead to brake (/reverse)

I'll have to double check the manual how to set that when I get home.

Your set your fail safe when you bind your receiver. When I bind my receiver, I give it a little brake and steering, so if you go out of range it will turn and brake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back