Running a large pinion on 6s vs 4s does it make a difference to heat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primarrma

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
I'm trying to figure out if I can make a Kraton run fast enough on 4s with a large pinion without it overheating, or is it a waste of time and should I just run 6s. I've always run 6s then I bought 2 4s packs thinking I'll save on weight and look after the drive line a little and stop the car overheating in summer, but it's too slow. I want to get some speed back, will running a large pinion still overheat on 4s like it does on 6s, or is the motor going slow enough to equal out?

Thanks.

Photo just for attention.

Last edited:
I have an outcast, pretty much the same driveline aside from longer/shorter axles/bones. I ran 6S once, was a bit of a handful to drive. Otherwise I've run 4S only the rest of the time. I use 2 of the SMC 7400mah 2S 2S2P packs.

With the stock tires on 4S, you should be able to run a 16/17 pinion, maybe 18 if you have a motor fan. I run a cheap $10 hobbywing heatsink/40mm fan on my motor, powered off a splitter on the esc fan plug.

I run a 15T and it tops out a bit above 40mph, but I'm running proline trencher 3.8's, which are about 100 grams heavier per tire and larger OD than stock kraton wheels/tires. With 15T, I'm right on the edge of too high when I run in grass a lot, the esc will shut me down. Usually ok if the ambient temps are less than 80F. I can run pack after pack ate the skate parks though. It's only when I run at the park and do a lot of WOT runs when it's warm out.

I have an outcast, pretty much the same driveline aside from longer/shorter axles/bones. I ran 6S once, was a bit of a handful to drive. Otherwise I've run 4S only the rest of the time. I use 2 of the SMC 7400mah 2S 2S2P packs.

With the stock tires on 4S, you should be able to run a 16/17 pinion, maybe 18 if you have a motor fan. I run a cheap $10 hobbywing heatsink/40mm fan on my motor, powered off a splitter on the esc fan plug.

I run a 15T and it tops out a bit above 40mph, but I'm running proline trencher 3.8's, which are about 100 grams heavier per tire and larger OD than stock kraton wheels/tires. With 15T, I'm right on the edge of too high when I run in grass a lot, the esc will shut me down. Usually ok if the ambient temps are less than 80F. I can run pack after pack ate the skate parks though. It's only when I run at the park and do a lot of WOT runs when it's warm out.
Ok, thank you. I just wonder if running 4s with a larger pinion equates to the same as running 6s with a smaller pinion in terms of heat, maybe I'll just have to test it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back