Limitless Running hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane6939

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Helo I am new to this forum I have a limitless. I put a max8 combo in it after 10 mins of running it shut off it was very hot and it popped the capacitors. I put a blx185 in after 5 mins. It gets up and cuts out.

What KV motor is it and what batteries are you running? Do you have a cap pack? Motor fans? Any other electronics like lights?

I’ve only ever seen the Max 8 combo paired with the sensorless HW 4074 2200kv motor, so I will assume that’s what you’ve got.
Running numbers with 2200kv on 6s you’re Limitless is mathematically geared for about 125mph. That’s good for 2 or 3 all out speed runs before you need to potentially stop, and let things cool down. If you’re running it around for 10min with gearing that tall try gearing it down to under 100mph and keep a close eye on your temps

27T pinion and 34T spur is for 90+ speeds and should only be used to make upto 2 passes, then requires a cool down break of 5 mins.
If you are looking to run for extended periods of times you will need to drastically change the gearing.
You will need a larger spur and smaller pinion much like the standard 6s line, which use a 50T spur and pinion in the mid-high teens.

thanks for posting this helped me i have the same motor and esc. I ll gear mine at 18 pion and 50 diff. I have heard thats a great ratio to run for over 10 mins. Look up on youtube there jaytee with his he gave me the idea to run that gear set he loves his. ANd still its quick

What KV motor is it and what batteries are you running? Do you have a cap pack? Motor fans? Any other electronics like lights?
The 1st setup was a max8 combo with ezrun 4274 2200kv fan on esc no motor fan. 2nd was blx185 and blx2050 fan on esc not on motor. Batteries are 3s 7000mah 100c. No other accessory
thanks for posting this helped me i have the same motor and esc. I ll gear mine at 18 pion and 50 diff. I have heard thats a great ratio to run for over 10 mins. Look up on youtube there jaytee with his he gave me the idea to run that gear set he loves his. ANd still its quick
I cant fine a spur gear larger than the stock 34t and 27t is the smallest pinion that will mate with it

I cant fine a spur gear larger than the stock 34t and 27t is the smallest pinion that will mate with it

I changed from the spool to the 50t center diff from a kraton(jennysrc), ordered a 20t mod1 pinion from amain.

I changed from the spool to the 50t center diff from a kraton(jennysrc), ordered a 20t mod1 pinion from amain.
Thanks. Why would arrma put out a car with no gear options ,knowing they are going to overheat

Thanks. Why would arrma put out a car with no gear options ,knowing they are going to overheat
They don’t know how hot your roller is going to be ??‍♂️ They didn’t sell you electronics at all. That’s what buying a roller is about. Taking the chassis and adding appropriately. If you don’t know enough, and that’s not me judging you, then buy the RTR Infraction. Even then you need to still watch temps and tune to the environment and driving style.

The car was built for speedruns as it comes out of the box. This means 1-2 passes with a cool down period.
They do offer different gearing on the website (image below) or you can always switch over to the setup found on the infraction as mentioned 50/18 or 50/20 seem to be a commonly liked gearing setup for long duration use without the heat issues.

The optional spur gears wouldn't quite get you there for cool operating gearing. Saga Custom RC offers 8mm bore pinion gears that will fit the Limitless spool acting as the spur gear and they offer nearly any size you can imagine!

optional gears Capture.JPG

They don’t know how hot your roller is going to be ??‍♂️ They didn’t sell you electronics at all. That’s what buying a roller is about. Taking the chassis and adding appropriately. If you don’t know enough, and that’s not me judging you, then buy the RTR Infraction. Even then you need to still watch temps and tune to the environment and driving style.
The point I was trying to make is from what have gathered from Amain and arrma is they have two pinions [ 26t/27t] and two spur gears [34/36] that will work with the center diff it comes with and short of a McLaren F1 engine it will overheat. I tried the blx that horizon and the max8 that a main recommended both get hot .I have been in the hobby since 1969 jondilly1974 I have bought and raced many rollers rc10's b4's/b5's/b6's/tlr22's and many more. They all have parts that you can work with you don't have to go buy a transmission out of another car to make it work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The point I was trying to make is from what have gathered from Amain and arrma is they have two pinions [ 26t/27t] and two spur gears [34/36] that will work with the center diff it comes with and short of a McLaren F1 engine it will overheat. I tried the blx that horizon and the max8 that a main recommended both get hot .I have been in the hobby since 1969 jondilly1974 I have bought and raced many rollers rc10's b4's/b5's/b6's/tlr22's and many more. They all have parts that you can work with you don't have to go buy a transmission out of another car to make it work.
Woahhh, slow your roll buddy. Jondilly is a well respected and very knowledgeable guy. I don't see anything wrong with the info he gave you. He even said he wasnt judging you, sounds like you need to grow some thicker skin. Adios bud.

@Lane6939 I think you might need to see if from a different perspective. The Kit cars that you had run in the past had gear ratios setup for acceleration and lower speeds (below 50mph). The gear ratio of the Limitless is all about top speed.

In electric motors if you gear for speed and draw high amps there is no such thing as long term use. It is 1 or 2 short passes or bursts of speed and then needs a cool down. This is regardless of how big the motor is, it will still get hot after 1 or 2 passes. A real car like the McLaren F1 is hard to compare with given it has a liquid cooling system. Electric RC boats can pull off long run times and higher speeds because they can take advantage of liquid cooling.

FYI you won't find a better forum than this one. Trust me I have been to them all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back