Notorious Running wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakeaowen15

Reaction score
On my notorious v4 I want to add a heat sink and fan, and can only get power from my receivers aux port. So basically I heard that there’s a space under the esc to run wires, is that true? If so anyone have a good video as to how to remove the esc and see wires?

On my notorious v4 I want to add a heat sink and fan, and can only get power from my receivers aux port. So basically I heard that there’s a space under the esc to run wires, is that true? If so anyone have a good video as to how to remove the esc and see wires?
Just unscrew it and it'll come off. Not hard at all.

It's great practice to start studying your rig and the exploded view of parts on Horizon Hobby's site to understand how it's built, where things go, etc.

It can seem intimidating your first time, but it is not difficult at all. Once you do start taking things apart and putting back together you will gain tons of confidence and enjoy wrenching even more!!! (y)

Research, research, research. (y) I've probably completed hundreds of hours researching all kinds of stuff to educate myself.

You can Google just about anything to do with wrenching on RCs and there will be a video out there about it. 😁✌️

The stock spektrum esc has a 2nd female plug next to the fan plug. You should just plug the fan(s) in there

I have a notorious 6s v4, and without taking out my esc, is there room to run wires under my esc. I’ve heard that if you take out your esc, underneath where it would go there’s grooves to be able to run wires underneath it? I’m wondering bc I need to get a heat sink and fan but the only way I can power it is by plugging it into my receiver, and don’t wanna expose those wires too much if I don’t have to.

I have a notorious 6s v4, and without taking out my esc, is there room to run wires under my esc. I’ve heard that if you take out your esc, underneath where it would go there’s grooves to be able to run wires underneath it? I’m wondering bc I need to get a heat sink and fan but the only way I can power it is by plugging it into my receiver, and don’t wanna expose those wires too much if I don’t have to.
Totally not necessary. If your esc has an extra female plug you can just plug it in there. If it doesn't, just put a y splitter & plug it in there. Not if, but WHEN your motor fan(s) die, you don't wanna hafta take out your esc to swap in a new one every time. Just my opinion 🤷‍♂️

Totally not necessary. If your esc has an extra female plug you can just plug it in there. If it doesn't, just put a y splitter & plug it in there. Not if, but WHEN your motor fan(s) die, you don't wanna hafta take out your esc to swap in a new one every time. Just my opinion 🤷‍♂️
There’s not a port for me to plug in a fan on my esc, but built into my esc is a port that I think the esc fan is plugged into, so you think I should get a splitter and plug the splitter into where the esc fan is, and plug the esc fan into one of the 2 splitter ports and plug the fan into the other?

There’s not a port for me to plug in a fan on my esc, but built into my esc is a port that I think the esc fan is plugged into, so you think I should get a splitter and plug the splitter into where the esc fan is, and plug the esc fan into one of the 2 splitter ports and plug the fan into the other?
That's exactly how I do it without any issues

20230119_125022.jpg

The port on the ESC is only designed for the ESC fan or a programming card, and depending on the motor fan or fans, they might draw too much current from the single port on the ESC. You plug the motor fan into an empty slot in the receiver, not the ESC.

The port on the ESC is only designed for the ESC fan or a programming card, and depending on the motor fan or fans, they might draw too much current from the single port on the ESC. You plug the motor fan into an empty slot in the receiver, not the ESC.
Then I stand corrected, I've never had any problems 🤷‍♂️

Just remove the esc and look for yourself. :rolleyes:

Sorry to be blunt, but you've asked this question in other threads and have been getting the same answers. If you don't get used to wrenching on your rig or don't want to, then you are in the wrong hobby. 🤷‍♂️

It's not hard at all. You need to make the leap and just take off the esc. Trust me, you will feel better after you do. (y) You got this. 👍😁✌️

The programming card uses all 3wires ( + & - , signal) for power and read/write to the ESC.
The stock fan only uses 2wires ( + & - ).
They won't cross "contaminated" each other.

Nor would you stress out the ESC port -while just sitting idle- for you to adjust its settings.

Just remove the esc and look for yourself. :rolleyes:

Sorry to be blunt, but you've asked this question in other threads and have been getting the same answers. If you don't get used to wrenching on your rig or don't want to, then you are in the wrong hobby. 🤷‍♂️

It's not hard at all. You need to make the leap and just take off the esc. Trust me, you will feel better after you do. (y) You got this. 👍😁✌️

Woah.. my friend.
Blunt away! No one will take offense..

But, the same courtesy should be given to others who MAY feel uncertain about these New fangle electronic doodads...

It's okay. Right?
We're all here to help.

Yeah, he shouldn't have to ask the same question in multiple threads..
But some folks may have a little OCD and want to cover All angles and get many input from multiple people.
Just so they feel they got a solid consensus on the matter..
It's okay. We understand.

Last edited:
Not a Notorious, but here is my setup on my Kraton.
20230119_141720.jpg

My motor fans are plugged into my receiver. I used heat shrink to keep the wires neatly bundled together. Then zip tied them to my chassis brace.

Don't be afraid to tear down your rig and put back together. Worst that will happen is a screw will bounce off to the place 10mm sockets go!

The programming card uses all 3wires ( + & - , signal) for power and read/write to the ESC.
The stock fan only uses 2wires ( + & - ).
They won't cross "contaminated" each other.

Nor would you stress out the ESC port -while just sitting idle- for you to adjust its settings.

My reply has nothing to do with using the port for the ESC fan and a programming card at the same time. My concern is that multiple motor heatsink fans might draw more current than the ESC port was designed to provide.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back