Rust on screws after snow and salt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to be splitting hairs over what I'd consider pretty cheap parts to replace if they fail down the road? $50 for the motor and $80 for the ESC? I'd not want to be replacing them weekly but overall if once a year or something <shrug>.

I could probably cost myself more than that on one bad landing LOL.

As stated before, I do run my Crawlers in the wet. Part of what drew me to Crawlers and all.
I usually use SS BB's at the Hubs for the most part. Going thru them more so.
What I do with brand new BB's whether Chromium or SS, is remove the rubber seals , clean out with solvent and install a Marine Grease, ( Lucas) or any is fine. They will last a bit longer in the wet. Fill them with 1/3 grease, no more. Apply grease to both sides, reinstall the rubber seals, spin them by hand to expel any excess , wipe off, then reinstall them. Time consuming, but does work. Marine Grease is generally impervious to Salt water. It is tenacious and stays put, won't separate when gotten wet.

Last edited:
I run em in snow myself.. winter is too long not to IMO. It's an acceptable risk to me. I don't spray my rigs with anything myself. Generally I lay them upside down to thaw..
Seems to me like snow bashing is Arrma reccomended! Y'all have seen the Fireteam promo video right?
It's everyone's call, The Ninja Bus is pretty much a Tank with that cover, and it's a hit and miss with water goin into the electronics and frying $hit up.
upside down is what I would do too.

I'm just being a smarta$$..I understand why people don't want to run in the snow and water, I can respect that. I do however find snow bashing to be a lot of fun myself. ✌

I thought all spektrum gear (ESCs and receivers) was IP67. I've been treating it as if it were... still works.

You mention fluid film (stinky), there is also Boeshield and Corrosion-X that contain lanolin (antioxidant) in the mix. Corrosion-X is happy to instruct you to spray your electronics, including circuit boards, with it for waterproofing. I've done a couple of spektrum air receivers and a racing quad with Corrosion-X, it works.

Flash rust is cosmetic. If it bothers you, you can seal the screws with any waxy oil or grease. I mix pure lanolin with mineral spirits and paste wax for such purposes. For my Arrmas, I just hit the screws and stuff with a tooth brush and call it good.

I also live in Fl.. Tampa at that so yep salt in the air especially along the coastlines.. surrounded by it!!🤣
I thought the Gulf water was not that salty compared to the Atlantic coast water ,:unsure:

How do you dry a rig off quickly?
Pick it up, hold the throttle until the water stops spraying. Then wipe down the parts that don't move. Works for me, but I don't run in particularly wet conditions.

Also, no one has suggested getting stainless steel screws. It's an immediate fix. I've replaced many of my screws with stainless. One caveat is stainless screws bend more easily. This really isn't an issue for most screws though. For screws that take impact and get bent (shock screws, body mount posts, wheelie bar) I've gone back to black oxide.

Last edited:
Pick it up, hold the throttle until the water stops spraying. Then wipe down the parts that don't move. Works for me, but I don't run in particularly wet conditions.

Also, no one has suggested getting stainless steel screws. It's an immediate fix. I've replaced many of my screws with stainless. One caveat is stainless screws bend more easily. This really isn't an issue for most screws though. For screws that take impact and get bent (shock screws, body mount posts, wheelie bar) I've gone back to black oxide.
Actually I did mentioned that I don't like SS fasteners as an option, having used them before. I imagine Quality can vary however. They are softer and bend more easily in high stress parts. But my biggest gripe, is that the Hex heads strip ( being softer) much more easily than even Rusted out Black Oxide variants. So I am gun shy now with SS hardware.
Again SS quality probably matters most?:unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back