Typhon RWB Porsche Build Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work duder! Just out of curiosity but, what is that you're working with there? Is black sheet polycarbonate with CF texture or what is that? I'm understanding what you're doing there correctly that you're heating that sheet and shaping it as needed, correct? I dig it man. (y)
Thanks! The trade name of the plastic is Kydex, it's a type of plastic that was developed specifically for thermoforming. Acrylic PVC. and yes, that's an applied texture (was going to use a sheet under the car anyway, might as well make it carbon fiber looking). I'm using a heat gun with a tip to narrow the heat, but yes, otherwise just shaping it with my hands and the back of a screwdriver. My approach was to wrangle it into place and then do the flattening and tidying up after it was positioned. Normally you'd use a form and drape the heated plastic over it and pull a vacuum to get a very precise shape. That requires a large mold, a large vacuum forming machine and knowing what the final shape needs to look like lol

FINALLY got some work in, still very rough, but the bottom plate is bolted in place and I can start getting the ducts to meet the body!

View attachment 304280
YES, it's super bumpy, that will get smoothed out 🤞

View attachment 304281
The screws will get flush mounted or some other means of attachment. Big ones go into the rear Infraction diffuser and small ones go into the Typhon chassis with lock nuts on the opposite side.

View attachment 304282
and UP she goes!, up and with a curve, basically a pain in the ass to keep from turning into a wonky mess.

View attachment 304283
Yes rumpley looking, it should get tighter where I can

View attachment 304284
Still needs major trimming and still trying to figure out what it needs to do in and around the suspension

View attachment 304285
First fold. The goal here is to A: provide an attachment point for the sides of the body. B: Give under the body some structure/protection. C: probably sculpt those up to be some kind of air duct because that would be cool looking

View attachment 304286
Both sides folded. Have to massage the curve to be more pronounced, flatten it more to meet the body and then figure out wtf I need to trim to fit the wheels.

View attachment 304288
Pretty close, still needs some significant work to mate with the body, but it's mounted

View attachment 304289
Progress!
Looking great, man! I can’t wait to see this come together!

FINALLY got some work in, still very rough, but the bottom plate is bolted in place and I can start getting the ducts to meet the body!

View attachment 304280
YES, it's super bumpy, that will get smoothed out 🤞

View attachment 304281
The screws will get flush mounted or some other means of attachment. Big ones go into the rear Infraction diffuser and small ones go into the Typhon chassis with lock nuts on the opposite side.

View attachment 304282
and UP she goes!, up and with a curve, basically a pain in the ass to keep from turning into a wonky mess.

View attachment 304283
Yes rumpley looking, it should get tighter where I can

View attachment 304284
Still needs major trimming and still trying to figure out what it needs to do in and around the suspension

View attachment 304285
First fold. The goal here is to A: provide an attachment point for the sides of the body. B: Give under the body some structure/protection. C: probably sculpt those up to be some kind of air duct because that would be cool looking

View attachment 304286
Both sides folded. Have to massage the curve to be more pronounced, flatten it more to meet the body and then figure out wtf I need to trim to fit the wheels.

View attachment 304288
Pretty close, still needs some significant work to mate with the body, but it's mounted

View attachment 304289
Progress!
What RC body is that? Brand? Type?
Incredibly beautiful project bye the way.
Kydex can be thermoformed very well :)

Last edited:
Awesome Build, cannot wait to see video of some parking lot action :)

Celebrate Ford GIF by Supercars Championship

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back