S.S.T.Y.H.D.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to reverse my aileron inputs in my transmitter for my Spitfire Mk IX warbird. Maiden voyage, I accelerated down the runway, liftoff was as anticipated, then rolled right to begin my figureight routine flight....... and she rolled left. Increased panic set in, and orientation was lost instantaneously. Fuselage snapped in half on impact...

Months to afford it,
Hours to build it,
Seconds to destroy it.

I've been trying to get my dad into RC for a few years now. He's good with electrics and very capable of figuring out problems.....more patient than I am. He's also been into hot rods since he was barely old enough to work for a living and we've had a couple garage builds in my youth (62 chevy impala, 70 roadrunner.)
The drones didn't get him interested enough at 68 years old so I switched to trucks because I thought they would peak his curiosity. At least for modding and maybe, eventually get a muscle car body shell and paint it in colors he'd want. This is what I hoped for...and still do.
It was my Slash 2wd on 3s and he was watching me drive. Couple years ago. We were doing speed runs on the street in front of my house with my cell phone strapped inside. We both wanted to get faster and he was excited as much as I was.

I drove right into his legs really bookin it and smoked my dad right off his feet. It made me feel so bad but he took it like a champ. I know it hurt. I still feel bad now because he was bruised and I know it hurt him. My Vietnam combat veteran Father will not allow himself to show pain.. I should've known. As ungovernable as I was in my youth, he was always willing to kick my ass straight in line...and come find me wherever I tried to hide.

edit: I'd still never try to fight him. lol

dads roadrunner.jpg

Not just stupid, but posted it like I was a champ. Charging batteries while in the rig. Also left batteries connected on the rc while stored in the trunk of the car. Got lucky that I caught it in time that nothing catastrophic happened, but had to defib the batteries to bring them back to life. So much more, but I just started with the light stuff.
Oh I've done all of that.

slipped with hex wrench and stabbed myself . then did same two week later . first time out with kraton hit my foot and takes big toe nail off

I had just rebuilt a losi mini 8T after hitting a curb and my buddy and I found this wide open parking lot to do speed runs and drag race our fairly new 14th scale rigs. He parked. We got out and turned the cars on, made my first run and as I past myself, slammed into a single random 2x6 laying in the parking lot. Never thought to check my path of travel behind me. From day one, that car was cursed.

Stripped a rear diff in my 1/18 Ecx Ruckus and while I was waiting for another $25 rear bulkhead assembly to come in I filled the diff cup with epoxy and closed it all up. I let the epoxy set for about 10-15 min(it was 5 min epoxy) and went to put it back in and realized I forgot to put the bearings on before I put the drive cups on..............Then in the process of trying to get the bearings on I broke both diff outdrives off..........
RmTdr8Z.jpg

That truck was seriously the biggest turd I have ever owned.
2nd or 3rd battery through the truck the rear diff stripped.
4th battery one of the metal u joints snapped.
6th battery rear diff stripped again.
7th battery esc/rx burned up.
8th battery motor burned up.
9th battery rear diff stripped.
10th battery esc/rx burned up.
I ended up giving it away to some guy on the Ecx Forums. I would much rather buy a Traxxas than ever buy one of those turds again.

Lost 2 drones so far. Thankfully just the cheaper variaty. Speck of pepper in the sky and could not get them back...

Sprayed my real car with rocks a few times with my rc trucks...

Soldering connectors on a battery and shorted it for a couple seconds when the wires got away from me. Nothing too crazy but certainly woke me up. .

Lost 2 drones so far. Thankfully just the cheaper variaty. Speck of pepper in the sky and could not get them back...

Sprayed my real car with rocks a few times with my rc trucks...

Soldering connectors on a battery and shorted it for a couple seconds when the wires got away from me. Nothing too crazy but certainly woke me up. .
Oh yeah, forgot the " soldered the XT 90 backwards" debacle. Learned quick that yellow plastic only likes a tiny bit of heat before saying " I'm mellltttiinnnnggg"

I've told this story during the summer when it happened so here is the short(er) version:

I purchased a Dynamite GPS to record too speeds on my RC's. The very first day I had it I taped it to the hood of my Senton to do a speed run. I came flying down the road full throttle and the front end caught air. Up went my Senton like a kite, flipped several times and hit a tree. No real damage to the Senton but the GPS was gone. The tree was in the middle of my neighbor's landscaping. I spent 2 hours looking for it in bushes, leaves, lawn, etc. No dice. Gone.

The next day my girlfriend is over and she asks if I want help looking. Sure, why not? Low and behold she finds it in my other neighbor's yard. Joy ensues. So now I decide I'm going to test the top speed of my Typhon....with untaped/unwrapped Badlands. I go into town by the local river where there is a nice long stretch of freshly paved road. This time I taped the GPS to the top of the reviver box under the body. I make a few passes but I'm.looking for more speed. The Typhon is all over the place as the Badlands balloon to the size of food platters. No matter. So on the last pass I lose control. Typhon slides sideways and slams into the guardrail that separates the road from a bike trail and the river. It hit with such force that it just stuck to the metal post. Silence for a few seconds and then I hear a splash as my GPS hits the water about 20 yards out. All I see is the widening ripple in the middle of the river. Head hung low, I gather up my busted Typhon and kiss $100 goodbye.

True story. ?

I've told this story during the summer when it happened so here is the short(er) version:

I purchased a Dynamite GPS to record too speeds on my RC's. The very first day I had it I taped it to the hood of my Senton to do a speed run. I came flying down the road full throttle and the front end caught air. Up went my Senton like a kite, flipped several times and hit a tree. No real damage to the Senton but the GPS was gone. The tree was in the middle of my neighbor's landscaping. I spent 2 hours looking for it in bushes, leaves, lawn, etc. No dice. Gone.

The next day my girlfriend is over and she asks if I want help looking. Sure, why not? Low and behold she finds it in my other neighbor's yard. Joy ensues. So now I decide I'm going to test the top speed of my Typhon....with untaped/unwrapped Badlands. I go into town by the local river where there is a nice long stretch of freshly paved road. This time I taped the GPS to the top of the reviver box under the body. I make a few passes but I'm.looking for more speed. The Typhon is all over the place as the Badlands balloon to the size of food platters. No matter. So on the last pass I lose control. Typhon slides sideways and slams into the guardrail that separates the road from a bike trail and the river. It hit with such force that it just stuck to the metal post. Silence for a few seconds and then I hear a splash as my GPS hits the water about 20 yards out. All I see is the widening ripple in the middle of the river. Head hung low, I gather up my busted Typhon and kiss $100 goodbye.

True story. ?
So you didn't jump in to try to rescue it? I'd have jumped in for a wheel nut;)

So you didn't jump in to try to rescue it? I'd have jumped in for a wheel nut;)

It's a wide river. There was no way I was swimming for it!

Some of the guys in my neighborhood and i were building our own course in the field, i guess you could call it (it is actually a real muddy, swampy, rutted pit that has a river next to it that floods several times a year), out back of our houses. We built some ramps, and some curves, and wanted to test out how well our dirt ramps worked, so, me being me, i stand right next to the end of the ramp as my neighbor goes up it WOT with a JLB Cheetah that decided it all of sudden didnt want to go in a straight line (for those that don't know, the JLB Cheetah is a moderately heavy 4WD that runs on 3S, so its pretty quick). I had a concussion for 2 days after it hit me in the head. A few days later, one of the neighbor kids thinks its a bike track, and almost got beheaded by my Granite as it came off a ramp. luckily he ducked, but, the Granite didnt fair as well. It didnt do much damage, just a front a-arm and a wheel. I bought a Force RC warhawk, and, going by the manual, did the break in properly, and, after using 3 6-cell NIMH packs to break it in, put a 2S pack in it, and promptly hit the only pole in a 4 acre field (did the same thing with the Outbreak i bought, but, that one, it didnt happen until the second day). I could make a worst hits highlight reel out of just how many times i have slammed that pole with different cars. It just jumps right out at me constantly. As far as drilling my hand, i did that with a hand drill reaming out a 4X4 to bolt to a 2 x 6 for a shed i was building. My wife says if it wasnt for insurance, we couldnt afford my medical bills from all the dumb RC and non-RC related stuff i have done. My worst has to be my drift car though. I bought a package deal used, that included an Exceed Drift King, that, the guy i got it from said he ran it maybe twice. In the last year, i have replaced the body 11 times, and every plastic component on it at least twice. The chassis i replaced 3 times. Its not because im hard on it, it just has an odd quirk that always catches me off guard. One minute, it wont have any traction, the next, it bites like its on sticky slicks. I have crashed it into myself, my kids, my neighbors kids, my neighbors cars, to the point where now it just sits on a shelf.

I actually have a new one to add to this. A couple weeks ago we got some heavy snow, that, due to nearly freezing temps the last week, the piles that were plowed from the road are still pretty much the same as they have been, so, today, i went out and made a couple ramps just to mess around on. I had my frankensteined Redcat Volcano/Tornado, that i recently put a 3600KV 3650 and Hobby Wing 60A ESC in, was standing on the wrong side of the ramp, and drove straight at myself. It cleared the ramp, and proceeded to hit me square in the chest. Luckily, because it was so cold out, i had several layers of padding on, so, it didnt hurt much, but, since that car has a full aluminum chassis, it is a bit heavy, so it could have been much worse. After it happened, i found out my wife recorded the whole thing on the new action cam she picked up, and keeps threatening to put it on youtube. I still don't know why i just stood there and watched it as it tried to run me over. The one thing i didnt expect, since it was previously the stock brushed setup, was just how quick it would move.

I actually have a new one to add to this. A couple weeks ago we got some heavy snow, that, due to nearly freezing temps the last week, the piles that were plowed from the road are still pretty much the same as they have been, so, today, i went out and made a couple ramps just to mess around on. I had my frankensteined Redcat Volcano/Tornado, that i recently put a 3600KV 3650 and Hobby Wing 60A ESC in, was standing on the wrong side of the ramp, and drove straight at myself. It cleared the ramp, and proceeded to hit me square in the chest. Luckily, because it was so cold out, i had several layers of padding on, so, it didnt hurt much, but, since that car has a full aluminum chassis, it is a bit heavy, so it could have been much worse. After it happened, i found out my wife recorded the whole thing on the new action cam she picked up, and keeps threatening to put it on youtube. I still don't know why i just stood there and watched it as it tried to run me over. The one thing i didnt expect, since it was previously the stock brushed setup, was just how quick it would move.

Let's see the video!!!!

I left my Spektrum DX5C at the bash spot yesterday. Didn't realize it until this morning. Took a ride over just now and it's gone. I have 10 trucks bound to it. Looks like I'm buying another Spektrum ☹️

Here's what I think. You should post a notice at both the local hobby shops, and make it in big letters. You're from an area where it's bound to get noticed. Maybe someone picked it up, and brought it to one of the shops. If they use it, it's going to highly visible, and you might end up bumping into them in the future. Tell the hobby store owners, that if anyone comes in looking for a spektrum receiver on it's own, to take notice. Check ebay for a listing of your radio, starting now. Sorry this happened, but your not totally lost yet. If it was a random passerby, they probably don't know what they have, and might be trying to find a way to get it back to it's owner. I know you're probably thinking to just get a new one, but I wouldn't give up quite so soon. Maybe people can still surprise us.

Here's what I think. You should post a notice at both the local hobby shops, and make it in big letters. You're from an area where it's bound to get noticed. Maybe someone picked it up, and brought it to one of the shops. If they use it, it's going to highly visible, and you might end up bumping into them in the future. Tell the hobby store owners, that if anyone comes in looking for a spektrum receiver on it's own, to take notice. Check ebay for a listing of your radio, starting now. Sorry this happened, but your not totally lost yet. If it was a random passerby, they probably don't know what they have, and might be trying to find a way to get it back to it's owner. I know you're probably thinking to just get a new one, but I wouldn't give up quite so soon. Maybe people can still surprise us.

Not a bad idea about checking with the hobby shops. There is one that is fairly local. My guess is some kid grabbed it and is trying to figure out what it is. I wanted a better model anyway, lol.

Now if I buy a new model and find the old one in my house somewhere, then I'll be making another post in this thread, lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back