S.S.T.Y.H.D.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it's stupid or not seen many people do it but I don't know why I constantly feel like it's ok to drive my r/c's directly back straight toward my legs and body. Never seriously hurt myself but have a couple scars I am almost like a deer in the headlights.
When I was a teen I did this with my T-Maxx 3.3. Hit myself so hard it took me off my feet, I don't do it anymore.

Lunch time, beautiful day! I packed two of my trucks to bash at a new spot I found at a local park. Last year's flood left a lot of washouts and holes, looks like it will make a great bashing area. But, where are my remotes? WTF where are my remotes?!? Gak...

Today was supposed to be the first run for my siren, but I guess I'll go to Subway and get a tuna fish sandwich instead. SMH..
20190322_112746.jpg

20190322_113140.jpg

Lunch time, beautiful day! I packed two of my trucks to bash at a new spot I found at a local park. Last year's flood left a lot of washouts and holes, looks like it will make a great bashing area. But, where are my remotes? WTF where are my remotes?!? Gak...

Today was supposed to be the first run for my siren, but I guess I'll go to Subway and get a tuna fish sandwich instead. SMH..
I did that on Monday. Packed a hockey bag with my truck, tool box, spare parts and batteries. Got to work and realized no remote. Oh well, got more work done that day.

I know this is an old thread, but i was searching through some of my older content, looking for a specific post, that i still haven't found, but i came across this, and thought, i have the perfect one to add to it. I had an issue with the pinion on my Granite, which is factory box stock, meaning i have never touched one screw on it until yesterday. The pinion came loose, so, i took it apart, and reset the screw, ran it, it came loose again by the second battery, so i thought, ill fix it, so i used red Loc-Tite, thinking, that will hold it, but, i didn't have it entirely lined up right, and didn't realize it for over an hour, so, i tried getting it to come loose with no luck, so, i thought, ill drill it, which i did, right through the grub screw, motor shaft, and through the back of the pinion. I rethreaded the pinion, since i didnt have another one, but, only threaded one of the now 2 holes it had, went to put the pinion back on, and the screw went a bit far, which is when i remembered that i drilled through the motor shaft, but, the screw seemed like it wasn't falling out the other side, so, my dumb ass decides to just thread in a screw on top of the screw that went too far. It seemed to hold, so, i figured it was fixed, let it sit overnight, went out this morning, got it to go about 10 feet, and then i heard an odd noise, right before it stopped moving. Stupidly, i hit the throttle again, and the loose screw came out of the opening in the pinion, and straight through the motor case. I essentially destroyed the pinion, spur, and motor case. Another one i did recently was on a DHK Wolf 2. I picked up a Hobby King Quanam Vandal with a HW 3S capable ESC, and BL motor im still not sure of the specs on, but, 2 days after i got the Vandal, i proceeded to run it straight into a pole in an open field, and parts are never available for it, so i stripped it, and put the ESC and motor in the Wolf. It ran awesome for probably the last 2 months or so, but, a few days ago, it seemed to only be running one the rear diff, so, i took it apart, and found the screw in the input shaft, that holds the gear on the shaft was loose. Again, red Loc-Tite, but, this time, everything went together correctly, but, i forgot the screws that actually hold the diff case together, which then started to separate. Let me just say that metal gears coming apart cause massive destruction to a diff case.

I was rebuilding the diff on my 1/18 mini Ruckus and I didn't feel like spending $24 for a new diff to replace the craptastic butter soft plastic internal diff gears. Short story long the diff outdrives keyed into the end of the sun gear then a tiny screw held them on, well the key was D shaped and if you looked at the truck wrong they would round out the inside of the gears. So being the savy person I am I decided to just put epoxy in the diff and hope for the best, well after the epoxy dried I realized that I forgot to put the bearings back on......

Technically, the dumbest thing I've done so far, is convince myself that I can send it like @RC DUDE81, @Rich Duperbash, @bicketybam, @Thomas P and a host of other excellent rc'ists, and believe that I will return home with my truck intact. So far I'm batting close to 1000 in the damaged to the point of no longer running category. Maybe one day. A guy can dream can't he......... And for those who are wondering about my videos, creative editing means you only see what I want you to see. Never the walk of shame back to the car, with a damaged rc in hand. Thank you Powerdirector.

Technically, the dumbest thing I've done so far, is convince myself that I can send it like @RC DUDE81, @Rich Duperbash, @bicketybam, @Thomas P and a host of other excellent rc'ists, and believe that I will return home with my truck intact. So far I'm batting close to 1000 in the damaged to the point of no longer running category. Maybe one day. A guy can dream can't he......... And for those who are wondering about my videos, creative editing means you only see what I want you to see. Never the walk of shame back to the car, with a damaged rc in hand. Thank you Powerdirector.
Practice makes perfect, I used to be just like you, I still break stuff but not every single time I go out to bash. If I had to guess I would say I have spent about $1,600 on my Outcast since I purchased it. Mainly breakages, some parts just wear out over time like the ends of the steering links, body mounts ect and plenty of optional parts. Somehow I am still using the stock battery tray that came with my Outcast 2 years ago. My steering and rear toe links are still factory too.

And for those who are wondering about my videos, creative editing means you only see what I want you to see. Never the walk of shame back to the car, with a damaged rc in hand. Thank you Powerdirector.
I usually include that too. It's good to show that everything breaks. ;)

I bought the 4s Kraton tower to tower brace to put on my Typhon and never even thought about how the body would fit with it on there..............

I bought the 4s Kraton tower to tower brace to put on my Typhon and never even thought about how the body would fit with it on there..............
I did it again, was buying some Proline Badlands MX28s, I didn't pay attention and bought 2 pairs of the MX28s for the rear of a Traxxas Stampede.................. I contacted the seller and received an automated response basically saying that they are out of the office until Monday morning but their warehouse still ships orders out that are received by 9am Saturday, so I'm going to have to send those back.

I did it again, was buying some Proline Badlands MX28s, I didn't pay attention and bought 2 pairs of the MX28s for the rear of a Traxxas Stampede.................. I contacted the seller and received an automated response basically saying that they are out of the office until Monday morning but their warehouse still ships orders out that are received by 9am Saturday, so I'm going to have to send those back.
I did the same once and bought wheels that were made for the front of 2wd trucks. I bought two sets of two because the deal was so good. When they arrived, I almost cried.

A month after getting new V4 Kraton 6S (April) I decided to push the envelope with Trencher Xs, 14T pinion, off road (baseball field) full throttle passes and aged stock diff oil. I measured temp after a few seconds following LVC and hit 210F, so may have hit 220F. ?

I did the same once and bought wheels that were made for the front of 2wd trucks. I bought two sets of two because the deal was so good. When they arrived, I almost cried.
I did this with a set of Jato wheels and tires too, they were $6 a pair and I didn't pay attention that they were for the front. The front of the Jato runs on bearings not a hex............... I wanted them for the rear of my Hpi Firestorm.

I did this with a set of Jato wheels and tires too, they were $6 a pair and I didn't pay attention that they were for the front. The front of the Jato runs on bearings not a hex............... I wanted them for the rear of my Hpi Firestorm.
I did this once awhile ago. I wanted some buggy wheels for a custom redcat 2WD buggy i was building awhile back, and, forgetting that it had hexes. I got some ultra cheap wheels for a Futaba FX10, that has bearings instead of hexes, and, after i got them and realized my mistake, i made it worse. I epoxied hexes to the back of the wheels, and then put them on the car. Problem was, they stuck out a bit far, so when i put the axle nut on, it didnt even go on far enough to lock in in any way. Long story short, the wheel nuts came off, and i still, after almost 2 years, don't know where those wheels are. I also did a slightly different version of this, in that, i had a custom built (basically whatever parts i could find that i could use on a chassis i had) drift car, and after putting a BL system in it, had a problem blowing the centers out of the cheap Ebay wheels, so, i thought, ill spend a bit more, and get aluminum wheels and hexes, but, didnt replace the wheel nuts, and from changing the wheels so many times, the nylon in the wheel nuts were wore out, but i didnt think about it, put the aluminum wheels on it, and then proceeded to watch one come off the car and put a decent size dent in the back door of my Jeep. The wheel hit so hard it flattened one side of it. I have also had the front wheels come of my Racers Edge Pro 2, multiple times, and it only took about a dozen times putting them back on, using whatever nuts i had in a box, before i finally went and bought new ones. Now, every time i change tires, i replace the nuts, even if, like on my latest drift car, its every 2 days, because i use rubber tires that shred easily (on the hard smooth plastic wheels, on asphalt, the car doesn't do anything but spin the tires, so i use grain rubber ones to at least get some traction), i replace the nuts every time. I could probably fill a dozen pages with all the dumb RC things ive done. My favorite though has to be from quite awhile back. I got one of the early Novak NESC-1 electronic ESC's (they had only been out, at most, 3 years at that time) put it in a Tamiya Grasshopper, and, since it came all enclosed, i thought, it has to be able to go through at least a small puddle, then stood there with a deer in the headlights look as it caught on fire and completely destroyed the car.

Stabbed my fingers with a hex wrench a couple of times. Forgetting a part and having to tear down again too many times to count. Launching my truck into a stream, 20 meters down a slippery muddy slope in the woods.

But the best one was driving my Wraith on a dry lake and flipping it. Guess what, the top inch was dry but under that, a mile of mud. Almost lost my sneakers while wading to retrieve it :D

Oh man where do i start with this thread, so I'll start with the granite 3s and changing the slider drive shafts i kept popping out the pins to screw the screw into the diff, thinking or so i thought was the only way, till just yesterday i was fitting a new one as the old one kept popping off... And realised you can just slip the driver down the whole thing in the hole on the end ? what a plank!

So then I'll move to the 6s where for 3 days on and off i was trying to link my rx with my tx..... Searching all over YouTube tryin a tonne of different things.... Etc etc... Till i looked at the plug in my rx.... And there it was the plug was the wrong way around ?? couldn't believe it.... Felt so stupid!! ?

That's what comes to mind atm ??

A couple year's back i jumped a traxxas bandit and hit my 6 year old daughter square in the forehead. She was playing right by my ramp. Felt stupid but luckily she just got a knot on the head. No real damage.
Ya, humans heal, R/C cars don't.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back