Sacrilege? Don't care!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always liked the look of the traxxas XO-1, but was never willing to jump ship & buy one. Since I now have an Infraction I thought I'd just buy a shell & put it on there since they're so close in size. After very little research I bought one. When I got the clear body in my hands my very 1st impression was what a cheap, flimsy piece of sh!t that it is!!!😆 I had to do some trimming around the rear diffuser & ream 4 new body post holes. Once I got it fitting pretty well I noticed that normal grps don't fill out the wheel wells how I'd like, since the xo wheels are bigger. After conferring w/ @Diem Turner (who was a big help once again!) about bigger tire options I ended up buying a set of XO-1 tires from Jenny's. They look so much better & the rears are wider, but read that they balloon too, so I trimmed a little material around the wheel arches so I hopefully won't slice those $85! (🤨😳) traxxas tires. On to paint, chose tamiya dark metallic blue ps-59 & tamiya bright gun metal again ps-63. Left the windows & "engine" cover clear, did the hood & back deck lid in the bright gun metal. I really like how it turned out, but it's not perfect. This definitely took a lot more paint than the buggy bodies that's for sure, glad I'd bought enough to finish. Anyways, thanks for looking @ the new Chinook, v2😃👍🤘

View attachment 277412

View attachment 277413

View attachment 277414

View attachment 277415

View attachment 277416

View attachment 277417

View attachment 277418

View attachment 277419

View attachment 277420

View attachment 277421

View attachment 277422

View attachment 277423

View attachment 277424
Love it!! Creativity has no boundaries sometimes. Good job with the paint also. I like how you left the back part clear, just like on a full-size supercar.

Looks great! I also agree that TRX did a good job with the XO1 body, I’ve always thought it was a great looking car. Be careful with set up, I do know the XO1 is a little notorious for blow-overs. But that could be a chassis issue or something as well.
I think your finished product is fantastic!

I've always liked the look of the traxxas XO-1, but was never willing to jump ship & buy one. Since I now have an Infraction I thought I'd just buy a shell & put it on there since they're so close in size. After very little research I bought one. When I got the clear body in my hands my very 1st impression was what a cheap, flimsy piece of sh!t that it is!!!😆 I had to do some trimming around the rear diffuser & ream 4 new body post holes. Once I got it fitting pretty well I noticed that normal grps don't fill out the wheel wells how I'd like, since the xo wheels are bigger. After conferring w/ @Diem Turner (who was a big help once again!) about bigger tire options I ended up buying a set of XO-1 tires from Jenny's. They look so much better & the rears are wider, but read that they balloon too, so I trimmed a little material around the wheel arches so I hopefully won't slice those $85! (🤨😳) traxxas tires. On to paint, chose tamiya dark metallic blue ps-59 & tamiya bright gun metal again ps-63. Left the windows & "engine" cover clear, did the hood & back deck lid in the bright gun metal. I really like how it turned out, but it's not perfect. This definitely took a lot more paint than the buggy bodies that's for sure, glad I'd bought enough to finish. Anyways, thanks for looking @ the new Chinook, v2😃👍🤘

View attachment 277412

View attachment 277413

View attachment 277414

View attachment 277415

View attachment 277416

View attachment 277417

View attachment 277418

View attachment 277419

View attachment 277420

View attachment 277421

View attachment 277422

View attachment 277423

View attachment 277424
Looks great!! Hate to see it ruined jumping those snowbanks but, what can you do? 😎🤘🍻

Guess what? Amain hobbies had the clear XO-1 body on sale & I bought another one last week. Fitting to the infraction was much easier this time around, although something is wonky in the back end & their predrilled post holes aren't quite square to everything else. Maybe that's why it was only $30?😅 You guys ever see traxxas put out a subpar product?🤣
Didn't really wanna spend any more $$ on paint either, so I used the rest of the bright gun metal & dark metallic blue that I had left. I tried to take a shortcut & just used the window decals to mask the inside of the windows- just like I did the 1st time. After masking everything I shot the blue, but as soon as the paint hit those decals they wrinkled & puckered up like crazy!! I noticed it happen on the 1st one, but must've lucked out & only had the wrinkles in the middle. This time it was all over, w/ some bad spots along the edges. ☹️🤬 So, naturally there were spots where it bled under the edges that I wanted to keep clear. I went ahead & sprayed the silver anyways, trying to think of a way to hide those bad spots. I decided to trim about a 1/4" around all of the clear areas & try to paint a "frame" around everything to cover those spots w/ some black. Color # 3!!!😅
I know, it's another traxxas XO-1 body & it looks awfully similar to the 1st one, but I don't really care! I LOVE these colors & although it's definitely not perfect I'm still pushing & teaching myself new skills. I'll just try to learn from my mistakes & do better on the next one (which there certainly will be- I've already been looking for the new puzzle to tackle 🙂) Anyway, hopefully someone will see my efforts & realize that it IS possible to create something unique, cool looking & challenging @ the same time. 😃😁👍🤘🤘

20230226_192216.jpg

20230226_192233.jpg

20230227_182349.jpg

20230227_182402.jpg

20230227_222103.jpg

20230227_222006.jpg

20230227_222236.jpg

20230228_000047.jpg

20230228_000201.jpg

20230228_000223.jpg

20230228_000430.jpg

20230228_000446.jpg

20230228_000413.jpg

20230228_000618.jpg

Looks great bud! Sucks the window masks did that. I can't tell from the pics, so who cares!!

You're one that inspired me to start painting. I don't know whether to thank you or say 🖕 for making me fall down another rabbit hole in this hobby!! 🤪:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Can't wait to see your next color scheme. Still trying to decide mine for the next shell coming this week. (y) :LOL::unsure:

Guess what? Amain hobbies had the clear XO-1 body on sale & I bought another one last week. Fitting to the infraction was much easier this time around, although something is wonky in the back end & their predrilled post holes aren't quite square to everything else. Maybe that's why it was only $30?😅 You guys ever see traxxas put out a subpar product?🤣
Didn't really wanna spend any more $$ on paint either, so I used the rest of the bright gun metal & dark metallic blue that I had left. I tried to take a shortcut & just used the window decals to mask the inside of the windows- just like I did the 1st time. After masking everything I shot the blue, but as soon as the paint hit those decals they wrinkled & puckered up like crazy!! I noticed it happen on the 1st one, but must've lucked out & only had the wrinkles in the middle. This time it was all over, w/ some bad spots along the edges. ☹️🤬 So, naturally there were spots where it bled under the edges that I wanted to keep clear. I went ahead & sprayed the silver anyways, trying to think of a way to hide those bad spots. I decided to trim about a 1/4" around all of the clear areas & try to paint a "frame" around everything to cover those spots w/ some black. Color # 3!!!😅
I know, it's another traxxas XO-1 body & it looks awfully similar to the 1st one, but I don't really care! I LOVE these colors & although it's definitely not perfect I'm still pushing & teaching myself new skills. I'll just try to learn from my mistakes & do better on the next one (which there certainly will be- I've already been looking for the new puzzle to tackle 🙂) Anyway, hopefully someone will see my efforts & realize that it IS possible to create something unique, cool looking & challenging @ the same time. 😃😁👍🤘🤘

View attachment 281781

View attachment 281782

View attachment 281783

View attachment 281784

View attachment 281785

View attachment 281786

View attachment 281787

View attachment 281788

View attachment 281789

View attachment 281790

View attachment 281791

View attachment 281792

View attachment 281793

View attachment 281794
What's the wing on there Josh? Looks perfect for a thing ah've got here!
Ah hate predrilled bodies for that very reason, end up having tae put mounts on the wonk tae straighten a'thing up!

View attachment 277412

View attachment 277413

View attachment 277414

View attachment 277415

View attachment 277416

View attachment 277417

View attachment 277418

View attachment 277419

View attachment 277420

View attachment 277421

View attachment 277422

View attachment 277423

View attachment 277424
Beautiful 🥰🥰 job well done 👍.I'm not a fan of blue but I must say it looks sweet on your rig.the gun metal looks great also.nice color combinations.your wheels came out really nice also.hope to see what else you do to this.keep up the good work 👍😁

What's the wing on there Josh? Looks perfect for a thing ah've got here!
Ah hate predrilled bodies for that very reason, end up having tae put mounts on the wonk tae straighten a'thing up!
I'm also curious about what wing that is

I'm also curious about what wing that is
It's this cheapo plastic amazon wing that I found while looking for a real carbon fiber wing. I drilled the holes to mount it. I think it's actually meant to be put on a 1:1 car as a joke😆
1677592024371.png

just used the window decals to mask the inside of the windows-
I was going to try this very thing on my next paint job here soon. I won’t be now. Thanks for being the Guinea pig here, Josh!!
Oh, the car looks great man! Good job on your second time around!

I was going to try this very thing on my next paint job here soon. I won’t be now. Thanks for being the Guinea pig here, Josh!!
Oh, the car looks great man! Good job on your second time around!
Thanks velo!!🥰😊 Yeah, I would advise against doing that. If your body comes w/ that translucent light blue film for masking the windows I'd probably feel okay using those. I used em for my jconcepts Baja body & they were perfect, but if they're just the vinyl (?) window decals I wouldn't- especially if they're traxxas!!😅

Thanks velo!!🥰😊 Yeah, I would advise against doing that. If your body comes w/ that translucent light blue film for masking the windows I'd probably feel okay using those. I used em for my jconcepts Baja body & they were perfect, but if they're just the vinyl (?) window decals I wouldn't- especially if they're traxxas!!😅
I was going to try using all of the little stickers, like for the doorhandles and other details, on the inside of a proline jeep body to mask off the areas so I could paint them, instead of using stickers on the outside.

Taking a lazy approach I guess as opposed to cutting out my own masks since I have all the material needed to do so. Instead, I will use all those little detail stickers as templates for what I need to cut proper masks out of vinyl. You saved me some grief man and I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back