Safe Running temps for FIRMA ESCs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamator

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I was wondering what is the safe operating temp for a FIRMA ESC? I have the 100A one if it matters. I use a DX5 Pro and I can set alarms to warm me of things like temps being too high so I was wondering what might be a good temp to set the warning alarm at.

Also, does anyone know the ESC auto cut off for high temps?

212F internally measured by a Thermister on the main board. 212F is where ESC Thermal cut will occur. I think I am correct.:unsure:
But I think that is a bit too high if you ask me. Depends how Smart the Firma ESC and DX5C is. Will it monitor accurately enough? Set the alarm so you will know without looking. Hard to look at Telemetry Data while bashing.
Perhaps set it lower than 212F. Once you hit Thermal cut, the Telemetry info is useless. It's too late. Have to stop and let cool down. You want advance notice. Set it lower.
Others may chime in with their ideas. :cool:

212F it is and DX5 is spot on. You should stay below 190 ish for longer life but I have failed to do so myself many times 😜
No issues though.

I stop looking ran it back to back like 10 times full throttle caught on fire 🔥

C538B611-CCD1-4A3A-BC38-D6C43065A513.jpeg

And my lid has a burnt hole 🕳 😒

If that is the case I am running well within limits. "High" for me is about 170, but that's only in certain situations. Generally speaking my Granite is at about 150 when bashing. I changed the stock motor to a 100A FIRMA of course. (It was a Mega, once upon a time.)

Recently I took it to the coast and bashed along this sandy picnic table area. (Not the full on beach, but still rocky/sandy.) When I do that I actually have a dusty motors cover on, and I know that can raise the temps. During some runs around the sandy ground I was getting about 170 and that was with windy ambient temps and I was running a 3S 100C Battery with my throttle limited to 75%. I only use the dusty motors cover in spots like that to keep stuff clean.

I appreciate the replies, it gives me a baseline and what to look for. I agree about having an alarm set on the controller so I don't always need to look down at it.

By the way, my DX5 Pro actually monitors the FET Temp. (That's what it calls it.) What is FET?
I stop looking ran it back to back like 10 times full throttle caught on fire 🔥

View attachment 166604
And my lid has a burnt hole 🕳 😒
Holy crud. Which FIRMA is this? What Cell Lipo were you using?

I sometimes run 2 batteries back to back. Is that bad? (I have 1 3S and 1 2S. I run the 3S one first.)

If that is the case I am running well within limits. "High" for me is about 170, but that's only in certain situations. Generally speaking my Granite is at about 150 when bashing. I changed the stock motor to a 100A FIRMA of course. (It was a Mega, once upon a time.)

Recently I took it to the coast and bashed along this sandy picnic table area. (Not the full on beach, but still rocky/sandy.) When I do that I actually have a dusty motors cover on, and I know that can raise the temps. During some runs around the sandy ground I was getting about 170 and that was with windy ambient temps and I was running a 3S 100C Battery with my throttle limited to 75%. I only use the dusty motors cover in spots like that to keep stuff clean.

I appreciate the replies, it gives me a baseline and what to look for. I agree about having an alarm set on the controller so I don't always need to look down at it.

By the way, my DX5 Pro actually monitors the FET Temp. (That's what it calls it.) What is FET?

Holy crud. Which FIRMA is this? What Cell Lipo were you using?

I sometimes run 2 batteries back to back. Is that bad? (I have 1 3S and 1 2S. I run the 3S one first.)
That was 8000mah g.ace 120c full 6s bashing lipos I’m glad my lipos didn’t get messed up how can the remote tell you the temp I would love to since now I’m with the temp gun after a few runs.
That was 8000mah g.ace 120c full 6s bashing lipos I’m glad my lipos didn’t get messed up how can the remote tell you the temp I would love to since now I’m with the temp gun after a few runs.
150firma
Touch the motor if you can’t keep your finger on more than 3-5 secs it’s too hot

I have all spektrum stuff, a smart ESC (FIRMA) Spektrum Brushless Motor, and a Spektrum Radio, the DX5 Pro which has a screen. It's able to read data, (telemetry) from the ESC and can tell you things like temps, voltage, RPMs, and even speed.

Last edited:
That fire wasn't caused by high FET temps if I had to guess. Had it been a temp issue, Thermal cut would have resulted and shut you down first. Albeit in a perfect world. It was probably a power supply failure and/or dead short. A defect somewhere. I have had the same with 2 BLX185's, burnt lid, pretty much all the electrics were toast. Lipos never caught. Thank goodness. I was quick to yank the plug and lipo and not get burned doing it.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/notorious-6s-blx185-went-ablaze-on-fire.11675/

Last edited:
FET (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-effect_transistor)
It's the little gadget that controls your speed, and it has a thermal sensor build into it as well. That is exactly where it needs to be, external temps will be barely in the 150F region when it's 212F internally. Keep an eye on motor temps, that one is not protected and matters more imho.

Last edited:
FET (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-effect_transistor)
It's the little gadget that controls your speed, an it has a thermal sensor build into it as well. That is exactly where it needs to be, external temps will be barely in the 150F region when it's 212F internally. Keep an eye on motor temps, that one is not protected and matters more imho.
Ah. Thank you. Very informative and
Good to know.

That fire wasn't caused by high FET temps if I had to guess. Had it been a temp issue, Thermal cut would have resulted and shut you down first. Albeit in a perfect world. It was probably a power supply failure and/or dead short. A defect somewhere. I have had the same with 2 BLX185's, burnt lid, pretty much all the electrics were toast. Lipos never caught. Thank goodness. I was quick to yank the plug and lipo and not get burned doing it.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/notorious-6s-blx185-went-ablaze-on-fire.11675/
I was wondering why thermal never kicked in .
it was weird to me I called horizon told them thermal cut off did not come on they re placed ..,but now you say this I hope is not a short because I’m planning on running they motor from that fire I haven’t ran it since the fire 🔥 any tips?new esc new batteries.

Thermal control needs a little time to react, always possible to trick it by constantly riding at the edge. Materials will break down, this was an internal short though. In case of simple overheat, death is silent but deadly.
Motor might be ok but take it apart and take a look. Typically, overheating ESC coincides with an overheated motor. If the kevlar wrap looks fine you are probably good to go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back