Safe temperatures for LiPo and Spektrum Smart high temp exception

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criav

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
I am using the Bat-Safe to charge my LiPos (and to store some of them). Yesterday was quite hot the whole day and I was charging my Spektrum Smart LiPos (2x 5000 mAh, 100C, 3S, HC) inside the Bat-Safe. All went good, no errors whatsoever, they weren't hot when I plugged them off. I went to drift around with my Felony and once I returned home I've plugged the batteries to the Smart Charger to storage charge them. Now I see that both the batteries I have previously charged have an "Exception" on my Spektrum Smart Charger saying that the LiPo (both of them actually) was overheated 1 time. Both batteries have only been used for 3 cycles so they are basically brand new. Could I had shortened their lives a bit because of charging or driving in hot? What are the safe temperatures for the LiPos to be charged and run at? I saw different numbers on the Internet, some of them saying that 95*F / 35*C should not be exceeded. I have no idea when did the exception pop up. I know the charger shows the battery temperature but I wasn't looking at it for the whole time. Does anybody know what temperature is considered by Spektrum as unsafe and causes this exception to be registered on the battery? The manual doesn't say that.

I don't use Spektrum lipos but high temps are not good for any lipo. Never charge or use a warm lipo, let them cool. I really don't have a issue with lipo temps so usually don't temp them, just feel them. Running in the heat will make them hotter, running them hard throttle pegged also. Don't charge in the heat, bring them inside.

I would guess anything in the 90°to 110°F range would be ok, maby 120. I remember reading somewhere that 140F is hot for lipos and could do damage. Can't say if you hurt your lipos because don't know the temps at the time. I wouldn't worry about it, just charge and run them. As long as they fully charge and balance they're good to go. Get a temp gun or feel them during a run to see how hot they get.

I am using the Bat-Safe to charge my LiPos (and to store some of them). Yesterday was quite hot the whole day and I was charging my Spektrum Smart LiPos (2x 5000 mAh, 100C, 3S, HC) inside the Bat-Safe. All went good, no errors whatsoever, they weren't hot when I plugged them off. I went to drift around with my Felony and once I returned home I've plugged the batteries to the Smart Charger to storage charge them. Now I see that both the batteries I have previously charged have an "Exception" on my Spektrum Smart Charger saying that the LiPo (both of them actually) was overheated 1 time. Both batteries have only been used for 3 cycles so they are basically brand new. Could I had shortened their lives a bit because of charging or driving in hot? What are the safe temperatures for the LiPos to be charged and run at? I saw different numbers on the Internet, some of them saying that 95*F / 35*C should not be exceeded. I have no idea when did the exception pop up. I know the charger shows the battery temperature but I wasn't looking at it for the whole time. Does anybody know what temperature is considered by Spektrum as unsafe and causes this exception to be registered on the battery? The manual doesn't say that.
Hi criav having the same issue, 2 batteries with overheated faults. Can’t find much info what temp it gets triggered at.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back