Big Rock Santa brought me a Traxxas Rustler for Christmas’s. Should I still get the 1/10 Big Rock 4X4 that I’ve been saving for? Is Rustler Better than BR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC fan

Military Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been having a blast with my new Rustler all day today. I’ve been saving for a Big Rock 1/10 4X4 for a few months. I got some Christmas money and I have enough to get the truck. Now i’m Wondering if I should purchase the big rock because the Rustler 2.0 is a lot of fun. How is the Big rock in comparison to the Rustler? Which one is more durable and more fun. Should I invest in a Big Rock or not?

The rustler 4x4 is traxxas’s counterpart to the big rock. One is better in this way... one is better in that way. I wouldn’t get both. If you want another rc get a short course truck or something of a different genre.

The Rustler 4x4 looks like a fun RC. I know someone that got one recently as an upgrade to their old 2WD Rustler and they're very happy with it. I'd say get used to driving it, you'll get an idea what direction you want to go for your next RC after a couple of weeks (MT, buggy etc..).

I say enjoy the Rustler 4x4, they can be fun! And keep saving for a Outcast or a Kraton.
I already have a Kraton, an Outcast, an Xmaxx and an E-Revo 2.0. I wanted a 4X4, brushless, one battery all tarain vehicle to add to my collection.

I already have a Kraton, an Outcast, an Xmaxx and an E-Revo 2.0. I wanted a 4X4, brushless, one battery all tarain vehicle to add to my collection.
Nice! I would drive it and see if it suits your needs. If not the good thing is that Traxxas RCs resell well.

Throw some Trenchers, MX28's or Badlands on the Rustler and go nuts don't like it keep the wheels and throw them on the BRCC if your not happy with the Rustler and decide to get the BRCC.

The Rustler 4x4 isn't bad it has some weaknesses that have been carried over from the 24 year old designs the parts are based on. They still use the same old Traxxas Ultra Shocks that are notorious for popping shock caps, I would get some aluminum caps, Traxxas and STRC make them in a wide range of colors. And the driveshafts while they have been beefed up compared to the older counterparts are still a weak point, the best solution I have found are the MIP driveshafts. The VXL system tends to be a little on the weak side, at least in the Stampede 4x4 it is anyway, keep an eye on temps, you may have to gear down. I don't recall if the Rustler 4x4 comes with the slipper or center diff but I am pretty sure the Slash 4x4 center diff will fit. Add a Hot Racing spur and pinion and it will be pretty bulletproof. These suggestions are based on my experience with the Stampede 4x4. I want one but I feel the price is a little high for what you get compared to comparable models from other manufacturers.

The Rustler 4x4 isn't bad it has some weaknesses that have been carried over from the 24 year old designs the parts are based on. They still use the same old Traxxas Ultra Shocks that are notorious for popping shock caps, I would get some aluminum caps, Traxxas and STRC make them in a wide range of colors. And the driveshafts while they have been beefed up compared to the older counterparts are still a weak point, the best solution I have found are the MIP driveshafts. The VXL system tends to be a little on the weak side, at least in the Stampede 4x4 it is anyway, keep an eye on temps, you may have to gear down. I don't recall if the Rustler 4x4 comes with the slipper or center diff but I am pretty sure the Slash 4x4 center diff will fit. Add a Hot Racing spur and pinion and it will be pretty bulletproof. These suggestions are based on my experience with the Stampede 4x4. I want one but I feel the price is a little high for what you get compared to comparable models from other manufacturers.
I second this advice from my experience building Traxxas RC. Well said.

Have you opened it yet? Can you take it back? I ask because some places have the Losi Rock Rey Kit in stock for $249. Its BY FAR the best deal in 4x4 bashing right now and can be setup for crawling or rock racing as well as bashing.. $249 kit which includes tires and body. Throw your electronics in and that thing EATS.

I'm running MX28 badlands on mine right now for bashing with some hobbywing rebrand I had lying around.

I suggest that only because you have several trucks but none like that Rock Rey and it satisfies your needs. Food for thought.

Have you opened it yet? Can you take it back? I ask because some places have the Losi Rock Rey Kit in stock for $249. Its BY FAR the best deal in 4x4 bashing right now and can be setup for crawling or rock racing as well as bashing.. $249 kit which includes tires and body. Throw your electronics in and that thing EATS.

I'm running MX28 badlands on mine right now for bashing with some hobbywing rebrand I had lying around.

I suggest that only because you have several trucks but none like that Rock Rey and it satisfies your needs. Food for thought.

It's definitely a fun truck! I love my Rock Rey!

I’ve looked and I can’t find any available on line at that price. Can you provide a link. I think they are no longer available. Looks like i’m To late. You’re right “it’s the best deal in 4X4 bashing” in my opinion ever!!!

I’ve looked and I can’t find any available on line at that price. Can you provide a link. I think they are no longer available. Looks like i’m To late. You’re right “it’s the best deal in 4X4 bashing” in my opinion ever!!!

They discontinued the kit. I grabbed the last one from my LHS. It's a shame they killed the kit version. It's such a great vakue. I already had a spare servo, ESC and motor floating around so it was literally $250 for an awesome rock racer. I have a thread in the Other RC forum.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back