SC10 Steering bellcrank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
Hi

Here is a pic of the Stock Arrma steering bell crank next to the Associated SC10 steering bell crank that I am going to put in my Arrma Raider XL. The red arrow shows where I had to grind down the ball stud mount so that the ball stud would be at the right height. I still have to get some more bearings to replace the bushings and get some spacers made to keep it from moving up and down. The bad news is that the nut with the bearing on top of the servo saver has to be perfectly aligned with the lower bearing in order to get a pin to fit through without binding. I couldn't do that so I did what Team Associated did, I made the pin just small enough to get it threw the bearing with out binding. I then mad the ends of the pins small enough to fit into the stock mounting holes. As soon as I get the rest of the parts I will post the finished results. I did do a test fit of the servo save side and I can say this for sure, there will be no more play in my steering anymore. The one thing I wish I had right now is a small metal lathe so that I could make the pins and spacers for other people that wonted to do this mod.

steering_zpsv2q4herj.jpg

Hi

I got the SC10 steering assembly in my raider and it works great but the plastic is a little bit soft so next month I'm upgrading to a full aluminum steering bellcrank, I'm going to use the STRC HD steering bellcrank for the SC10.

Hi

Here is the STRC HD Steering Bellcrank for the SC10.

steering_zpsprj0jmmp.jpg

Too any one that would like to do this upgrade make sure you get the aluminum upgrades and not the stock plastic parts, the plastic parts are way to soft and flexible. The STRC HD Steering Bellcrank works great and it is a upgrade I would recommend if you are willing to make the pins or get some one to make them for you.

Here is a link to them on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...RC0.H0.XSPTSTC9659.TRS0&_nkw=STC9659&_sacat=0

And here are the other parts you will need to do this mod upgrade:
  • 2x ASC6270 Associated Ball Joint Male 4-40 2.19 each set
  • 1x ASC9659 Associated Steering Set B4/T4 5.39
  • 1x ASC9610 Associated Servo Saver/Steering Hardware 3.49
  • 4x 1/8" x 1/4" x 7/64" Metal bearings

Awesome work, thanks again for sharing this type of stuff. Please let us know approximately how many degrees of play at the wheel you get with that fancy new hardware. My slop mod has me in pretty good shape but there is always room to improve, right?

Hi

Well there is still a little bit of play but that's because the holes the pins go into are now oblong, and allow the pins to move around. I also did away with the captured ball end's, I was getting way to much binding up from them.

Hi

Well it's done.

Here it is installed and this thing is rally beefy and smooth moving.
installed%201_zpsxewvgjak.jpg

installed%202_zpstnc5c3sk.jpg

Here is everything that was installed.
Assembly_zpswmps6wci.jpg

Here are the two pins I made I know they don't look pretty but they work great. If I had a metal lathe I would make some so more people could do this mod.
New%20Pins_zps6d2ykfro.jpg

I had to cut this part off because it put the ball stud up to high.
cut%20off%201_zpsvtkuoovg.jpg

cut%20off%202_zpsibvbm2sh.jpg

I had to remove the two center posts because they kept the steering bell crank from rotating back and forth.
modify%202_zps2abod2fx.jpg

Hi

Too any one that would like to do this upgrade make sure you get the aluminum upgrades and not the stock plastic parts, the plastic parts are way to soft and flexible. The STRC HD Steering Bellcrank works great and it is a upgrade I would recommend if you are willing to make the pins or get some one to make them for you.

Here is a link to them on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...RC0.H0.XSPTSTC9659.TRS0&_nkw=STC9659&_sacat=0

And here are the other parts you will need to do this mod upgrade:
  • 2x ASC6270 Associated Ball Joint Male 4-40 2.19 each set
  • 1x ASC9659 Associated Steering Set B4/T4 5.39
  • 1x ASC9610 Associated Servo Saver/Steering Hardware 3.49
  • 4x 1/8" x 1/4" x 7/64" Metal bearings

Hello @ajdragon
is it possible to mount the sc10 steering in the same tilted way as it was supposed to,with some extra holes for screws in the bottom plate?

Hi

You might be able to but I'm not too sure. There is anther member how might be making pins for mounting the SC10 steering. If he does I know I will be buying a set.

Hi

Small update, everything is holding up pretty good, but I did forget to put some thread lock on the two screws that hold the drag link in place and ended up losing one of the screws and a bushing. So if you are going to do this mod be sure to use some thread lock on the two screws that hold the drag link in place.

I know this is an old post, but I have replaced my stock raider xl parts with HR steering aluminum parts. Everything is tightened as much as possible. Mild improvement at best. I love this truck, but the steering slop makes it feel like crap compared to my true 1/8 beasts.

My question...is the sc10 conversion worth the effort...meaning can you ever really get the steering "tight" or "it is what it is". I have upgraded my Raider extensively, so no issue putting in the work. Just nothing worse than an "upgrade", that really makes a minimal difference. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi

The biggest problem is the way the bellcrank is held in place, the upper pin holes are to small and get misshapen quite easily by the rotating pins. By using the SC10 bellcrank you eliminate the rotating pins by allowing the bellcrank to rotate on bearing instead of turning the pins.

Hi

A liitle update, I finally got around to making a better set of pivot posts for the bellcrank and installed a upper aluminum brace to reinforce the upper mounting holes. The end resolute is my steering assembly is nice and solid, now all I need is a new servo to replace my failing old one. Now if we can only find some one to make the 4 needed parts, this would be a great up grade for the steering.

IMG_3655.JPGIMG_3656.JPGIMG_3657.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back