Screw extractors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Infraction 4x4
I need to extract a screw with a stripped 2mm head, and I can't get in to cut a slot in the head with a Dremel or pound in a Torx. What set of screw extractors should I use, and do you have a link?

Thanks.

I need to extract a screw with a stripped 2mm head, and I can't get in to cut a slot in the head with a Dremel or pound in a Torx. What set of screw extractors should I use, and do you have a link?

Thanks.
Most of the time I just drill the head off the screw then remove the pice that it was holding on. Then use a pair of knipex pliers

C4C5ED02-4069-41B2-A4BD-0AFC16B47890.jpeg

to remove the threaded section. But if the screw is lock tighted into metal then you may be SOL

Most of the time I just drill the head off the screw then remove the pice that it was holding on. Then use a pair of knipex pliers

View attachment 215746

to remove the threaded section. But if the screw is lock tighted into metal then you may be SOL
I don't have room to get pliers in there, or I would have tried to grip the head of the screw with vice grips.

Any #1 size flute style extractor should work. Be aware that they tend to be made from a very hard, brittle steel and snap fairly easily if you apply force too quickly or in excess, so if it's a tight and/or threadlocked screw be sure to get it hot before you attempt extraction. If the extractor breaks inside the screw you'll have a problem you can't drill out.

I use reverse threaded drill bits. Works pretty much every time.

If it's thread locked good and it's safe to apply heat. Do so. You don't need a lot, just use a pin torch close to the threads evenly until you get the puff of smoke. It's small, pay attention. Once it puffs the thread locker is gone and it should easily unscrew.

Good luck

Thanks.

I NEVER had any success with screw extractors....until I ran across this video and I bought this set since it is for smaller screws like on the RC. Damn, it actually worked for me to get out an RC screw...other sets I bought never worked for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q60UOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I NEVER had any success with screw extractors....until I ran across this video and I bought this set since it is for smaller screws like on the RC. Damn, it actually worked for me to get out an RC screw...other sets I bought never worked for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q60UOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks!
Any #1 size flute style extractor should work. Be aware that they tend to be made from a very hard, brittle steel and snap fairly easily if you apply force too quickly or in excess, so if it's a tight and/or threadlocked screw be sure to get it hot before you attempt extraction. If the extractor breaks inside the screw you'll have a problem you can't drill out.
Thanks! I have no experience with screw extractors, and I wasn't sure if a #1 would work.
What screw is FUBR???
I was replacing the stock steering blocks with the HD ones, and the head of one screws that holds the small steering arm to the steering block stripped. I wasn't even cranking down on it that much when it stripped, and I was using a quality hex driver (the head of the screw seems a bit shallow).

For now, the stripped screw is holding things together OK. If I ever need to replace the steering block, and I can't get the stripped screw out with an extractor, I have an extra steering block, and I could put a new steering arm on the new block.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back