Kraton Screws holding diff case together keep stripping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonio Rocchi

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
On my Arrma Kraton 6s, the screws that hold the diff case closed keep stripping, so I can’t access the diff. This has happened to me 3 times so in order to get into the diff, I have to drill out the screws and replace the diff case.
Any suggestions?

Bad hex drivers will keep you going through this. Also, if you go through water alot the screw heads get rusty and contribute to stripping. I haven thad stripping issues and I wrench my rig alot. I use MIP drivers. And never the Allen wrenches. just some ideas. The above post is correct to remove the stripped 4 diff case screws. It's obviously user error, if you keep going through this. It can happen from time to time with any rig. But you seem to have this problem frequently? Again use proper quality hex driver tools. A Dremel to cut into the screw heads to get a flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Only replace the screws with 12.9 grade hardware which is OE. Stay away from stainless sreel hardware. They strip out easily also.Good luck. :cool:

Are you using power tools or doing it by hand? I also had 2-3 screws strip out from over tightening I believe. Now If I do use an electric screw driver, once the screw bites into the plastic I finish by hand. Jenny rc usually sells a bag of screws & wheel nuts for a few bucks I got two bags and have enough extra screws in case any strip on me.

One last thing Allen/hex screws, come in sae & metric perhaps that tiny bit or difference may be contributing to the heads stripping

If you're just stripping the head , try using a screw extractor. They have a left handed bit on one end and the extractor on the other. If youe are stripping the threads , you can insert a stainless thread restorer coil.

Get mip drivers the trutorque sl looks nice from protect other tan the handles same tip quality or a little bit better than the 15$ amazon for a set of 4 drivers i was pushed to get the protek ones because i needed a long driver to access screws in my rcs

Is it the screw head or the screw holes that are stripping? You can repair a stripped hole pretty easily.

Never stripped a single screw head on my Kraton. Threads in plastic may strip but superglue and/or longer screws fix that.

I use arrowmax and turnigy drivers (not quite MIP but decent, especially Arrowmax) and I grind down the ends a bit when I notice them rounding off.

I'd like to hear your idea.
Having this problem with the motormount. I filled the hole with glue, and then I drilled a new thread into it.
I cut a small piece of a zip tie and glue it in the hole with some CA. Let that cure, then put the screw back in carefully.

I use this guy for removing screws with stripped heads. Works real good.

Attachments

• IMG_20190502_133516_resized_20190502_013545353.jpg
    IMG_20190502_133516_resized_20190502_013545353.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 70
You could also upgrade to an aluminum HR diff case. However if the hex drivers are your problem that won’t help...
Its nice to have $100.00 f./r of HR diff cases, but that wont help the OP here. I would spend $40.00 on a set of MIP drivers and get the power driver tips as well. I use a Milwaukee M12 driver and turn the CLUTCH ALL the way down. But still never tighten with it never. Hand is best for final snug. Many overtighten hardware. Jenny's Hardware kit is the best bet. You get the OE 12.9 screws. They are the best anyway. Stay with the OE. Siometimes I use chapstick/wax to lube the long threaded hardware and always on new plastic parts in general.
Get mip drivers the trutorque sl looks nice from protect other tan the handles same tip quality or a little bit better than the 15$ amazon for a set of 4 drivers i was pushed to get the protek ones because i needed a long driver to access screws in my rcs
I agree about the cheap AMZ drivers. But I have them on hand as backups in my car for the field. They are rarely used. Or they crap out anyway. Proteks are great for the extra length. Cant comment on durability though. The durability of the MIP tips are second to none. Ive bought 3 sets in 30 years. That's good value. But honestly, I prefer the MIP handles the most. Alloy handles just suck when you wrench a lot. I have MIP ball end hexes also. But rarely use them. They are not as durable but can help in certain situations.
If you are invested in this hobby, it pays to have the best tools for the job. Been a Mechanic for years. Good tools are necessary for serious wrenching.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back