Screws...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
  2. Vorteks
The original phillips screws on my Raider weren't the easiest to R&R.
Got a supply of hex button head 3.0mm x 8,10,12,15 and longer for the shocks, which are systematically replacing the phillips heads.
Just finished maintenance from bashing; shock oil, dogbones, etcetera. With the hex head, the screws fly out and back into place, cutting maintenance time.
Anything to save time, lol!

@Steve did you buy a screw kit from somewhere to replace the philips screws or just bought individual hex heads?

Hey WoodiE,
I bought individual packs at Tower, under the replacement parts section for the Raider.
The part number sequence is pretty logical, if the last 3 digits are "308", it's a 3mm x 8mm long screw.
I noticed the photos at Tower have a hex or allen head, so I made a rough estimate of the number of each screw with check marks on the exploded view.
Could have got them off eBay, but just added them to a Tower order to get to the the next discount level.

If you have the time and patience, and a store like Fastenal near by, you can save a bunch and get a lot better hardware for most of your normal screws, nuts, and such. Most of the hardware I've needed for my R/C's comes from there for 1/4-1/2 the cost of hobby shop prices. Unless you're trying to get that next level discount at TH, like I was just 30 minutes ago...lol.

If you have the time and patience, and a store like Fastenal near by, you can save a bunch and get a lot better hardware for most of your normal screws, nuts, and such. Most of the hardware I've needed for my R/C's comes from there for 1/4-1/2 the cost of hobby shop prices. Unless you're trying to get that next level discount at TH, like I was just 30 minutes ago...lol.

Thanks, just looked them up, there are 3 within 10 minutes of the office.
That would be a great lunch-break trip!
Yeah, the hobby store is pricey, but if I'm getting advice from them, I don't mind paying the extra.
Gotta be a tough business, hobby store, competing with online, eBay and the cost of running the business.

I hear you. But for me, Fastenal is 20 minutes away, hobby shop is an hour. But with Fastenal you need to know exactly what you need, I.e. 3x8mm button head, or cap screw, etc. sometimes good to bring an example. And you usually have a choice of grades, steel or stainless, etc. I've been surprised at their selection at our small store. And they also have some small e clips that have come in handy on other r/c's.

@stevenc I picked up a few packs of screws from Tower Hobbies to use with the mud scrapers that someone had recommended. I thought the prices were reasonable enough, but to @MSgt 's point, you'll probably get a better deal at a hardware store.

I hear you. But for me, Fastenal is 20 minutes away, hobby shop is an hour. But with Fastenal you need to know exactly what you need, I.e. 3x8mm button head, or cap screw, etc. sometimes good to bring an example. And you usually have a choice of grades, steel or stainless, etc. I've been surprised at their selection at our small store. And they also have some small e clips that have come in handy on other r/c's.

I'll take some samples, to be sure the pitch is correct, along with my vernier calipers. I got the calipers at HF, they've been helpful on measuring all the tight tolerance stuff, like this.

@stevenc I picked up a few packs of screws from Tower Hobbies to use with the mud scrapers that someone had recommended. I thought the prices were reasonable enough, but to @MSgt 's point, you'll probably get a better deal at a hardware store.

Agree, the prices aren't bad, considering the cost of the fasteners, the packaging and so on.

Thanks, just looked them up, there are 3 within 10 minutes of the office.
That would be a great lunch-break trip!
Yeah, the hobby store is pricey, but if I'm getting advice from them, I don't mind paying the extra.
Gotta be a tough business, hobby store, competing with online, eBay and the cost of running the business.

Looking thru old posts and saw this .... Had to share my story. Had some other places to go with wife and daughter the other day .... Said lemme stop at the LHS while we were out (were going to be close by). Needed a few little things, plus I like to just look around and dream. Anyway, got there at 715 (they close at 8) to find a sign on the door "sorry closing at 3pm today"

Went home and got on the Tower web site..... And they wonder why!!!!

I get its a tough business, but it sure would be nice to have a good shop around other than the inter web!

Looking thru old posts and saw this .... Had to share my story. Had some other places to go with wife and daughter the other day .... Said lemme stop at the LHS while we were out (were going to be close by). Needed a few little things, plus I like to just look around and dream. Anyway, got there at 715 (they close at 8) to find a sign on the door "sorry closing at 3pm today"

Went home and got on the Tower web site..... And they wonder why!!!!

I get its a tough business, but it sure would be nice to have a good shop around other than the inter web!

Most of the black oxide coated screws have rusted pretty badly, and since coming to AF, I've been re-acquainted with eBay.
I have been systematically changing out the black oxide screws for stainless steel M3 button head's now.
They take forever and a day to get here, so they were "toolbox" orders for me.
Anyway, I spent a total of like $12 for 4 different sizes in packs of 100 and still have plenty.
I've even sent some to a couple guys here on the board.
The search at eBay was, I believe, "M3 Hex Stainless Steel Button Head Socket Cap Screws".
I tried to send a link from my purchase but it's dead now.

Amazon has SS screw sets for the Arrma line. I had no plans on doing an entire screw set swap, but I bought a screw set anyways just to have a box full of all the size screws I would need for *whatever*. It has been really handy.

Amazon has SS screw sets for the Arrma line. I had no plans on doing an entire screw set swap, but I bought a screw set anyways just to have a box full of all the size screws I would need for *whatever*. It has been really handy.

Do you have a link, in case someone on the board wants to buy it?

If y'all are like me, and are trying to maintain several cars, here is a list of most of the screws used in Arrma 1/10th models with package prices from two of the cheaper places I've found to buy in bulk, McMaster-Carr and Grainger. Most of them you will be buying them in packs of 100. The ones highlighted in yellow are the cheapest per unit or the only option.

RC Screws.PNG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back