Senton Sealing the spur gear and motor housing from water.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManhattanRC

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Last Sunday I took my Senton out for a proper bashing, and it was quite muddy in NYC. As a result, the motor and spur gear housing we're quite saturated with Mud. I cleaned it 2 days later, but there was still substantial rust on the bearings, and I was wondering if there was a trick to sealing off the housing even if temporary.

I was thinking silicone, but wondered what you all say. I also know that the drive shaft won't seal, so it might only reduce the intrusion and not eliminate.

Thought I would attach a pic of the result.

Attachments

• IMG_20190127_151259_271.jpg
    IMG_20190127_151259_271.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 53
Ah there's no point, if the bearings wear out they wear out. Sealing it wouldn't be possible and the stuff that does make it through will wreak havoc as they can't exit.

It's not so much the water, but I was surprised at how much mud made it through. Are the dust motor shrouds effective?

Hello fellow NYCer, I can probably recommend marine grease to seal things out but it will be a routine you will need to do before taking your truck out and more important, if you have rust that means you didn’t clean it right after. Cleaning/ maintenance is the number 1 remedy to running in water/ snow/ mud etc.

If you like to bash in all types of weather, the cover is a great idea. If your still running with stock bearings, change them out for new rubber shielded ones. Until then, cover it, clean it and a few drops of bearing oil after each time you do.

What size shroud should I get? I figure I need the universal correct?

If you like to bash in all types of weather, the cover is a great idea. If your still running with stock bearings, change them out for new rubber shielded ones. Until then, cover it, clean it and a few drops of bearing oil after each time you do.

This is spot on. I wouldn't recommend sealing it up. Everything in there is plastic except for a few items. Get rubber shielded bearings (if the in the slipper assembly we're bad, think of the ones in your wheel hubs) and remove and clean the power module after a wet/muddy session.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back