Kraton K6EXB - Main Basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 3s
So the 3S Typhon was enough to get me itching for a 6S... Picked up a mostly loaded 1/8 Kraton EXB.

Great condition and built with the following:
  • HW Max 6 ESC
  • HW 4985 1650kV Motor
  • Ecopower WP110T
  • RPM skid plate
  • WTF Fans 2x
A.jpg

I originally thinking of going the TP route, but I'll use up this setup as much as I can and learn off of it. Luckily had two SMC 3S hardcases so that will hold me through for awhile.

Noticed pulling it out that the dog bones between the diffs were rotating in opposite directions, found that the rear was installed backwards:
B.jpg

Easy fix, took it out for a quick rip today and was happy, didn't quite get it full speed, but sent it a handful of times off my homemade ramp. This thing is made to jump, I'm excited to take it to a skate park to see what it can do.

Did notice that there was significant clicking under braking or near full throttle and decided to pull apart all the diffs:
C.jpg

Rear was missing the diff gasket so it was mostly empty and rather dry. I had checked the slop before tearing these apart and they seemed tight enough, front had a bit of play. All the gears look good through, center was black in color as was the front.

Getting new gaskets and o-rings and new fluid to bring these back up to snuff. Will get some shims too so I can make sure they aren't moving around too much.

Would you shim the spiral/spur gear side after it is filled or test it before filling to get a rough idea of the shims needed?

So the 3S Typhon was enough to get me itching for a 6S... Picked up a mostly loaded 1/8 Kraton EXB.

Great condition and built with the following:
  • HW Max 6 ESC
  • HW 4985 1650kV Motor
  • Ecopower WP110T
  • RPM skid plate
  • WTF Fans 2x
View attachment 258547
I originally thinking of going the TP route, but I'll use up this setup as much as I can and learn off of it. Luckily had two SMC 3S hardcases so that will hold me through for awhile.

Noticed pulling it out that the dog bones between the diffs were rotating in opposite directions, found that the rear was installed backwards:
View attachment 258548
Easy fix, took it out for a quick rip today and was happy, didn't quite get it full speed, but sent it a handful of times off my homemade ramp. This thing is made to jump, I'm excited to take it to a skate park to see what it can do.

Did notice that there was significant clicking under braking or near full throttle and decided to pull apart all the diffs:
View attachment 258551
Rear was missing the diff gasket so it was mostly empty and rather dry. I had checked the slop before tearing these apart and they seemed tight enough, front had a bit of play. All the gears look good through, center was black in color as was the front.

Getting new gaskets and o-rings and new fluid to bring these back up to snuff. Will get some shims too so I can make sure they aren't moving around too much.

Would you shim the spiral/spur gear side after it is filled or test it before filling to get a rough idea of the shims needed?
I always pull on the cup and see if it has any play. With the exb's you might have to add it outside the cup. On the rtr's i would always add it behind the pin. I can only think of maybe one or two times it caused problems with mesh afterwards out of doing literally dozens of diffs. Tekjo on ebay makes some awesome gaskets for these. I've heard a lot of people don't like the lsd plates because they lock up or something happens over time. I know you have to be careful when you put them in to make sure they are facing the right way. The few trucks i bought with them i went ahead and pulled the plates and put the spacer in to make them open diffs.

Looks like they flipped it on it's lid a few times, the front body posts are almost gone! Might need to get a few replacements

I always pull on the cup and see if it has any play. With the exb's you might have to add it outside the cup. On the rtr's i would always add it behind the pin. I can only think of maybe one or two times it caused problems with mesh afterwards out of doing literally dozens of diffs. Tekjo on ebay makes some awesome gaskets for these. I've heard a lot of people don't like the lsd plates because they lock up or something happens over time. I know you have to be careful when you put them in to make sure they are facing the right way. The few trucks i bought with them i went ahead and pulled the plates and put the spacer in to make them open diffs.

Looks like they flipped it on it's lid a few times, the front body posts are almost gone! Might need to get a few replacements
A lot of great information here, thank you very much @calebgilmore!! I had heard these esb diffs had some issues in the past, and looking at the plates I thought there may be a trick to the way they face, might be why the gasket got obliterated. I will for sure check out the Tekjo gaskets, thanks for that!

Yeah, luckily the only real damage is those posts. Luckily was sent with replacements. Had to have been an epic flip from the looks of it!

Thanks for the post, much appreciated!

Finally got all the diffs sorted out. Rear plates were catching so replaced them and then cleaned and refilled the mid and front diff too. Came out much smoother.

Got the body finally and things felt all wrapped up.
20221213_214017 (1).jpg

Got it out today with the kids and got to do my first back flips...very addicting...

I love my oldest on that one, humoring his dad acting like a little kid. The middle child sent his car into my face shortly before that... good times!

Noticed the steering was fading when load was on the front of the car... then it started just cutting out completely. Lipo alarms went off brought it in and it was smoking pretty good.

Fried the servo. I got this 2nd hand and didn't check the BEC voltage, I was putting 7V on a 6V servo and I'm pretty sure I didn't dial in the endpoints as well as I should have. Lesson learned.

Also saw that the punch was 2...I can't imagine what 5 is... Someday I'll find out!

I'm not sure what I'm doing for a replacement servo (that thing stinks by the way, very acrid smell...) Thinking about DS3235... Not sure if there will be damage running 7V to it when it is rated at 6.8V. Could just do the 6V setting I guess...

Finally got all the diffs sorted out. Rear plates were catching so replaced them and then cleaned and refilled the mid and front diff too. Came out much smoother.

Got the body finally and things felt all wrapped up.
View attachment 262932

Got it out today with the kids and got to do my first back flips...very addicting...

I love my oldest on that one, humoring his dad acting like a little kid. The middle child sent his car into my face shortly before that... good times!

Noticed the steering was fading when load was on the front of the car... then it started just cutting out completely. Lipo alarms went off brought it in and it was smoking pretty good.

Fried the servo. I got this 2nd hand and didn't check the BEC voltage, I was putting 7V on a 6V servo and I'm pretty sure I didn't dial in the endpoints as well as I should have. Lesson learned.

Also saw that the punch was 2...I can't imagine what 5 is... Someday I'll find out!

I'm not sure what I'm doing for a replacement servo (that thing stinks by the way, very acrid smell...) Thinking about DS3235... Not sure if there will be damage running 7V to it when it is rated at 6.8V. Could just do the 6V setting I guess...

I've run those servos, and with that rig I would push it to 7v for BEC. Really helps to move those big tires.

Man that’s awesome bro! Enjoy those little ones my friend…. They’ll be grown & gone before you know it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back