Second opinion: is it the differential?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corywest

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I'm looking for a second opinion before I tear things apart one more time :).

First a little backstory: this truck started life out as a Senton Mega because I didn't know better at the time. (It's a V3 so according to the parts diagrams it has the exact same differential and input gears that the BLX has.) After burning through a few brushed motors, we upgraded the drive train to a hobbywing max10 (3200kv) motor+esc, metal spur gear, metal 17t pinion, and a 3S battery. Our tests right after the upgrade were good and it was a hoot to drive.

Then we took the truck out to a field for a big jump test, and it got some kite string wrapped around an axle right at the wheel mount. The string sheared a bunch of plastic off the wheel block and warped the tire rim! (I think maybe I had the slipper clutch too tight and that's why the string did so much damage? I think I have the clutch tension correct now.)

Anyway, I assumed (naively) that the damage was limited to the wheel and wheel block. I took this as an opportunity to upgrade all the A arms and wheel blocks to aluminum. But after finishing the repair and doing a quick test, it's clear that there's still something else wrong. Specifically, there's some bad clicking coming out of the rear, and the rear wheels don't spin down at the same speed - one seems to seize up. I'm assuming it's something wrong with the rear differential. Does this sound like the right diagnosis to y'all who have more experience than me?

Here's a video (but the clicking sound doesn't really come through all that well): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FJ6BdaIX0R0gRErjpddBTOxW7SRuqrR9/view?usp=sharing

Is there anything else I should be looking at here?

Thanks for the help!!

agreed the diff might be busted up some!
check jennysrc.com for a low priced replacement
68AF9352-193B-45A0-BACC-32906E88EB63.png

https://jennysrc.com/collections/arrma-senton-3s-blx-ar102668

B88F94F7-1066-40B4-A9B3-10958EF6795F.png

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back