Talion Second run with the EXB. Car park bash breakage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMarcus172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Vorteks
Hey Guys

I'm very new to 6S cars but quite experienced with the 3S range. I really enjoyed my first off road session with the Talion EXB. Some big tumbles and some bigger air with no breakages apart from a split in the rear wing. Yesterday, however things didnt go as well, doing a simple car park speed test, next to my friend's infraction
Car is stock other than a rocket v2 motor fan and an upgrade from the stock pinion to an 18t.

On about the second pass, following some hard acceleration and breaking there was a quiet "bang" . I limped the car back to me and we noticed that the bearing had exploded and the drive shaft come out. Its a bit hard to tell from this picture but is there a known issue with drive shafts coming out that I need to know about.....and a fix. I remember hearing about it on older Kratons.

IMG-4958.JPG

Then I noticed that there were screw holes here and having checked the official images, noticed that I was missing some hexes. Can anyone tell me what I need as the holes look small ? Im guessing whatever it is needs loctiting.

IMG-4957.JPG

And finally, can you please reccomend me some bearings. Im in the UK so would normally get "Jim's bearings" which are sold here by CRCU but theyre out of stock. Ive noticed that some places advertise the ABEC rating. ABEC 5 bearings seems to be about 50% more than ABEC 3s. Happy to pay the extra if its worth it.

Last edited:
On my Infraction I'm exceedingly happy with the ceramic hybrid metal shield bearings I purchased from Scorched for drivetrain and wheel hubs, though I wouldn't recommend those if you're running in dirt/mud conditions. On my spool I'm using the ones that came on the Joe Diaz spool (ceramic hybrids which I believe are from a company called 2Cool Custom RC). From what I know AVID RC makes really good bearing kits at a variety of price/quality points from basic to plaid. Among other things they make hybrid seal bearing with metal shield on one side and rubber on the other (rubber facing outward for better protection from dirt and dust, metal on the inside for friction reduction).

On my Infraction I'm exceedingly happy with the ceramic hybrid metal shield bearings I purchased from Scorched for drivetrain and wheel hubs, though I wouldn't recommend those if you're running in dirt/mud conditions. On my spool I'm using the ones that came on the Joe Diaz spool (ceramic hybrids which I believe are from a company called 2Cool Custom RC). From what I know AVID RC makes really good bearing kits at a variety of price/quality points from basic to plaid. Among other things they make hybrid seal bearing with metal shield on one side and rubber on the other (rubber facing outward for better protection from dirt and dust, metal on the inside for friction reduction).
Thank you. You clearly know your bearings !

That sucks man. Same happened with my new Kraton, 5 or so minutes into it’s first run. Right front inside wheel bearing exploded with a loud crunch. Broke the cup, slightly bent the shaft and gouged the arm bad. Crappy bearings.

7C5F3DDD-AFD1-41E9-9692-3BCB3C1DE240.jpeg

That sucks man. Same happened with my new Kraton, 5 or so minutes into it’s first run. Right front inside wheel bearing exploded with a loud crunch. Broke the cup, slightly bent the shaft and gouged the arm bad. Crappy bearings.

View attachment 217495
thats damn near exactly what it looks like but I think I might have gotten off more lightly than you. Better bearings ordered and on we go.

thats damn near exactly what it looks like but I think I might have gotten off more lightly than you. Better bearings ordered and on we go.
Turns out I gouged the arm really badly but new bearing is “in”, car got a lovely clean and some 4S backflips

7C4A5C4F-4B72-4107-92AF-1A916A2177DD.jpeg

Turns out I gouged the arm really badly but new bearing is “in”, car got a lovely clean and some 4S backflips

View attachment 219565
Very nice. Since my car was brand new and was distributed directly from Amazon I swapped it out for a new one. First thing I did was put new wheel bearings all the way around 😂 Still working on the rest of it and hoping for the first run by weeks end.

Very nice. Since my car was brand new and was distributed directly from Amazon I swapped it out for a new one. First thing I did was put new wheel bearings all the way around 😂 Still working on the rest of it and hoping for the first run by weeks end.
So pleased you are getting some RC time. I know you have a lot of challenges in your life. How are things at the moment ?

So pleased you are getting some RC time. I know you have a lot of challenges in your life. How are things at the moment ?
Thanks man. Yeah me to. That mini infection I got is far more fun than I expected. Spent a good amount of time with it yesterday at the park.

We are slowly but surely getting past the challenges. My wife is cancer free now and is three weeks past her final surgery, recovering slowly but well. We are now switching gears and working on my chronic pain and issues. Got my psychological exam for the spinal stimulator coming up on the 31st. I’m hoping the following two week trial is successful and then surgery within a month. It can’t happen too soon at this point and I’m praying it works.

We’re nervous about the kid visiting her idiot father in Washington for two months this summer… but we have so many checks and controls in place as well as the legal ability to come down on him like a ton of bricks if he screws up in the slightest. He’s also still being tested weekly for drugs and alcohol, must attend sobriety classes and has to blow into one of those booze testers in his car before he can drive. We’re going up in the middle of the visit (part of the court decree) and we have her to ourselves for three days to make sure she’s OK. It’s also a mini vacation for us. We haven’t done much of anything fun over the last 16 months.

I’ve developed a secret code with the kid so when she talks to her mom daily she can communicate with us if there’s problems. We have notified child protective services as well as the local police that she will be there. It’s a very small town he’s in so everybody’s familiar with the situation. I think things will work out okay but I like to prepare for worst case scenarios because that’s what I’m used to. We’re almost ready for the next problems to come up, whatever they may be 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back