Seized Stock Kraton Motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully_

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I plan to warranty this motor, but i'm just curious as to what factors could have caused this motor to just lock up and seize mid run. Such a bummer.

First run out after fully upgrading my bearings, diffs, diff oils, and adding all my hot racing and voltage hobby parts. Was super stoked to get a couple nice runs in , and BANG . motors gone. Any help would be appreciated

Overheated or just bad luck. All electronics are like this, every now and then you get a dud o_O

good chance it was an overheat issue then .. ran almost 2 6700 6's packs back to back.. i guess ill have to wait a little longer in between runs or get another truck to bash on while one cools down.. Lesson learned. Thanks @slick2500 !

I'm trying to figure out the cause of the overheat though. Could it have been the 2 back to back runs ? could it of been my punch setting being to high? Could it have been me adding to many shims to my center diff mount to alleviate slop in the spur gear therefor causing to much friction? I can't see why any of these things would overheat my motor to the point that it just locks up. But i'm still new to brush-less. what ya think @slick2500 ?

Now that I think about it, it takes a lot of heat over a long period of time to destroy the magnets in the motors. My best guess is the rotor came apart in the can, this can and does just randomly happen with brushless motors, it is caused by manufacture defects in the rotor.
I was watching one of RC Bashing the Kratons videos where he was bashing his Mugen truggy, not really hard, and the motor just stopped.
I am willing to bet that if you opened the can this is what you would find.
13XT17Kl.jpg

Last edited:
Any chance my batteries had anything to do with it. I didn't have a problem running my onyx 5400mah 50C . now i'm using these SMC's. I'm still very new to lipo's and brush-less so i have no idea if that could of been part of the problem.. Using stock ESC and Motor.

Attachments

• 22782123_10155152013527169_1536776294_n.jpg
    22782123_10155152013527169_1536776294_n.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 49
Hi Sully. I have just had exactly the same issue. Car apart for big service, diff oils, bearings, shims. All back together and running smooth for a 4s battery then locked up halfway through the 6s. Motor has been taken out and can be turned with a set of vicegrips on the pinion, so its tight!!! Going to send it off for warranty, trucks less than 3 months old. How did you get on with that process? Or did you replace/upgrade?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back