Sensored ESC & motor for Granite 4x4 blx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLXLyfe

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
What combo would give similar or more power than the stock setup? im looking at sensored...
Would like to use the HW XR8 SCT or PLUS but not sure what to look for in motor replacement?
is stock a 550 size motor, so like the pro4 motor by tekin?

Hmm good question. Not sure to be honest. But I too would be interested to know.

Hmm good question. Not sure to be honest. But I too would be interested to know.
The tekin pro 4 is available in 3000kv. About 4-5mm large diamater but should fit and about 2mm or so longer for the sensor board so is a possible replacement. The xr8 sct should be more than enough as its a 8th scale esc that i use in my race ebuggy. Its only 109usd new..

Last edited:
The tekin pro 4 is available in 3000kv. About 4-5mm large diamater but should fit and about 2mm or so longer for the sensor board so is a possible replacement. The xr8 sct should be more than enough as its a 8th scale esc that i use in my race ebuggy. Its only 109usd new..
To be completely honest I am not too familiar with the sensored setups, I've only run 1 sensored system and that was a Hobbywing 10BL60 sensored and a Leopard Hobby 2838 4500kv sensored motor in my LC Racing Truggy(1/14 scale). Didn't have much time to mess with any of the settings in the esc before my motor ate a bearing.

To be completely honest I am not too familiar with the sensored setups, I've only run 1 sensored system and that was a Hobbywing 10BL60 sensored and a Leopard Hobby 2838 4500kv sensored motor in my LC Racing Truggy(1/14 scale). Didn't have much time to mess with any of the settings in the esc before my motor ate a bearing.

HW 1/10-1/8 3s combo
found it, this 3200kv motor is the sensored full option version of the one in the granite 4x4 blx(one in granite is the base version without the heat port etc.)

so this combo would make the granite 4x4 into a full sensored beast with a good 140amp esc

HW 1/10-1/8 3s combo
found it, this 3200kv motor is the sensored full option version of the one in the granite 4x4 blx(one in granite is the base version without the heat port etc.)

so this combo would make the granite 4x4 into a full sensored beast with a good 140amp esc
But is it worth spending 2/3 the cost of the car on a motor and esc combo
dailystruggg.jpg

But is it worth spending 2/3 the cost of the car on a motor and esc combo

It was more about finding the combo for a "what if" when either esc or motor goes i will be replacing with this combo.
its also basically the max all out performance you should be using in this little truck without going to a full blown 1/8 setup(which you might struggle to fit the 1/8 motor)
the XR8 sct is a 1/10 and 1/8 buggy esc.. i run this in our two Mugen ebuggys.
For more than 4s though or truggy, really need the xr8 PLUS

HW 1/10-1/8 3s combo

I'd be interested to see how this runs. The non-sensored version was't great once you went up with the gearing.

Another option-
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...-w-1415-sensored-motor-cse010-0160-00/p578319

I ran my granite on a 4074 size motor for a while. On 4S, it was really too much power. Now I run a motor that is the same size as the BLX motor. A racerstar 3660 sized 3800 KV. It is a wonderful fit for the granite. Great power, enough to do wheelies and backflips almost at will. Not quite enough power to do a standing backflip. That castle 1415 motor, I am not sure if it would put you back into the overpowered category, or whether he would give just enough power bump to be able to do the rolling backflips.

I also have a pro 4 4600 KV motor in my Tekno SCT410. I run it on 2 s only. Power is great. Compared to the 3660 n my granite, it is a bit less then the 3660 On 3s, but more than me 3660 On 2s.

20180319_203705.jpg

I’ve got a Tekin Pro 4HD motor in my converted Granite Mega, and it fits just fine. The HD versions are the longer can size, so a standard Pro4 would have room to spare, although I like the longer can for the extra torque and surface area for cooling. I bought the motor used with a Tekin RX8 ESC as a package deal, and didn't pay nearly what I should have for it so I'm using the RX8 for now...on 2S. To say it is overkill would be more than a mild understatement. You really don't need that much ESC for 2S or 3S, but I got it cheap so I use it. It does work really well though. Low speed control is very good, and there isn't even a hint of cogging.

If you are willing to go used, there are some interesting options that pop up on eBay and sites like that with some frequency. There are used Novak sensored motors showing up pretty regularly for not-terrible amounts of money, as well as used Tekin's. Novak may be out of business, but they made some nice motors. Also, I've had good luck with used LRP ESC's for 2S/3S. Warranty support would be a problem, but if you are buying used the warranty is kind of a moot point anyway. Lots of LRP's models are sensored and can handle 3S. The only down-side is that they market themselves as a 'racing' product so sometimes they do annoying stuff like not having reverse!

I wish Castle made that motor in a higher Kv. You need to run a 20t pinion to get the same speed as the stock motor. Actually, that's not too bad, lol. I already have the Mamba X.

I wish Castle made that motor in a higher Kv. You need to run a 20t pinion to get the same speed as the stock motor. Actually, that's not too bad, lol. I already have the Mamba X.
Not if you run it on 4s lol

Not if you run it on 4s lol

I don't like the weight of 4s for the 3s trucks. Also, I could barely get the battery in. But you are correct. 4S and a15t pinion will put you right where the stock motor is.

I don't like the weight of 4s for the 3s trucks. Also, I could barely get the battery in. But you are correct. 4S and a15t pinion will put you right where the stock motor is.
Really dumb that the 1415 is pretty much their only motor that only has 1kv option. All of their other motor sizes have 2-3 different kv options.

Is the Castle stuff seriously on backorder until October 2019?

Last edited:
i've really hated every castle system i've had, right off the bat, more upright cost
I'd be interested to see how this runs. The non-sensored version was't great once you went up with the gearing.
i've ran it in 4wd short course and its silly fast, turn up the punch on bigger wheels and it was awesome... in a MT it might be a bit much
I used the Xr8 SCT with the arrma 3200kv today, it got rid of 90% of the cogging these cars seem to come with,(i hate the cogging from stock, full throttle from a stop it cogs for half a second while its firing all coils.) i even ran it on 4s for a minute and holy moly, with a pinion change it'll do 65mph+ atleast, i knew it would get hot only ran it for a minute to try - i don't have a HW 3200sd motor at the moment to try

Wont be using any castle products, Where i live the support is nothing and any i've seen have always had issues and are not really that user friendly.
The HW wifi module is just awesome.

i've really hated every castle system i've had, right off the bat, more upright cost

i've ran it in 4wd short course and its silly fast, turn up the punch on bigger wheels and it was awesome... in a MT it might be a bit much
I used the Xr8 SCT with the arrma 3200kv today, it got rid of 90% of the cogging these cars seem to come with,(i hate the cogging from stock, full throttle from a stop it cogs for half a second while its firing all coils.) i even ran it on 4s for a minute and holy moly, with a pinion change it'll do 65mph+ atleast, i knew it would get hot only ran it for a minute to try - i don't have a HW 3200sd motor at the moment to try

Wont be using any castle products, Where i live the support is nothing and any i've seen have always had issues and are not really that user friendly.
The HW wifi module is just awesome.

I ran a Mamba X and their 1410-3800Kv motor in my Mega Granite. Standing backflips all day long and silly fast. The only issue I had was heat with the motor. I went with HW this last time around and it turned out to be a colossal waste of money. The Max10 SCT paired with the 3660 motor performs *exactly* like the BLX100 system at a much higher cost. I run a Max6 in my Kraton and it's been great so far. No complaints other than the cheap fan that is on it's last leg. I also run a MMX in my Typhon and that ESC is the sh!t.

I ran a Mamba X and their 1410-3800Kv motor in my Mega Granite. Standing backflips all day long and silly fast. The only issue I had was heat with the motor. I went with HW this last time around and it turned out to be a colossal waste of money. The Max10 SCT paired with the 3660 motor performs *exactly* like the BLX100 system at a much higher cost. I run a Max6 in my Kraton and it's been great so far. No complaints other than the cheap fan that is on it's last leg. I also run a MMX in my Typhon and that ESC is the sh!t.

i find the stock system quite bad at low speed, especially if you come to a stop. the xr8 sct/plus is the answer to most ESC isssues. they Really are the best, full alloy cases, low heat, reliable as and are not expensive

I run the Mamba X with the stock unsensored motor and it barely cogs. But you are right in that it is expensive.

My main gripe with Castle is their crap power switches, I have 4 packs through my MM2 and the power switch is already going out............The one on my Sidewinder 3 lasted about the same amount of time.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back