Typhon Sensored motor and esc needed for track duty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratonage

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Ive never tried one at my local 1/8 track so im wondering if it really is advantageous to purchase one for my typhon. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

No, especially not right off at the very least.

I have hours of track time on my V1 Typhon(indoor clay track) and the non-sensored orange can motor kicks it just fine. In fact I have never been outran down the straights by any other 1/8 buggy and slow speed throttle modulation has been fine.

Ive never tried one at my local 1/8 track so im wondering if it really is advantageous to purchase one for my typhon. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
At my track i can definitely see the benefit of a sensored motor and does equate to faster lap times. With my stock electronics ive been able to hang with some much faster/expensive setups at times. Number one thing i needed to compete was some quality aka tires. 2nd i switched my diff fluids. Still trying to tune it to my liking but currently im 5k,10k,5k. Im gonna put 3k in the rear to help it slide more. Im still learning myself. 3rd thing to compete is practice. I see so many guys spending $700-$1000+ on truggy/buggy setups but drive poorly. Good setups are only as good as the driver behind them. Stock electronics are plenty fast to compete if you can drive. If only i could drive perfectly

At my track i can definitely see the benefit of a sensored motor and does equate to faster lap times. With my stock electronics ive been able to hang with some much faster/expensive setups at times. Number one thing i needed to compete was some quality aka tires. 2nd i switched my diff fluids. Still trying to tune it to my liking but currently im 5k,10k,5k. Im gonna put 3k in the rear to help it slide more. Im still learning myself. 3rd thing to compete is practice. I see so many guys spending $700-$1000+ on truggy/buggy setups but drive poorly. Good setups are only as good as the driver behind them. Stock electronics are plenty fast to compete if you can drive. If only i could drive perfectly

Right on!!!! Yeah im finally getting my typho fine tuned for my local track and i can say i can finish top 4 (as long i drive well) against associated, teknos, losi's, xrays and mugen. Running 5k 7k 3k, 74mm yellow team durango front springs and 84mm black rear springs with aka soft long wear tires at a loamy, hard packed dusty/ no dust track.

I just got a Castle Sidewinder 8th ESC/Motor combo for my Typhon. It's been raining and haven't been able to test it on the track yet. I couldn't pass up the deal. But with a more customizable ESC with the PC, I'm hoping it will perform a tiny bit more effectively. I race on a relatively small dirt/loamy outdoor track. My last enhancements were customizing droop and tires. Instant 25% improvement on performance. I'm also running 5k/7k/3k in my diffs. I have stock springs in shocks with about 30wt shock oil. I'm able to keep up with Losi's, Mugens, etc.

Just as a follow up to this.. .I've now had the chance to run my new Castle Sidewinder (sensorless) and motor... I have some more speed/punch than stock (a little, not a ton)... however, whenever I run someone else's buggy (with sensored esc/motor), I definitely feel an improvement. Smoother acceleration and a little more pop.

Also, most other buggies are quite a bit lighter than my Typhon. My plan is to upgrade to a sensored setup... I'd LOVE to get the Tekin RX8 gen 3 (just released)... but can't justify cost... So might go hobbywing or Castle... either way... Sensored does EVERYTHING sensorless does.. but better.

Just as a follow up to this.. .I've now had the chance to run my new Castle Sidewinder (sensorless) and motor... I have some more speed/punch than stock (a little, not a ton)... however, whenever I run someone else's buggy (with sensored esc/motor), I definitely feel an improvement. Smoother acceleration and a little more pop.

Also, most other buggies are quite a bit lighter than my Typhon. My plan is to upgrade to a sensored setup... I'd LOVE to get the Tekin RX8 gen 3 (just released)... but can't justify cost... So might go hobbywing or Castle... either way... Sensored does EVERYTHING sensorless does.. but better.
Another thing to keep in mind is that I don't believe that there are any waterproof sensored setups without waterproofing it yourself. So if you plan on bashing at all and hitting any puddles, rain or snow, that would be something to remember. So it may not do EVERYTHING better:) but as far as racing goes it is superior.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I don't believe that there are any waterproof sensored setups without waterproofing it yourself. So if you plan on bashing at all and hitting any puddles, rain or snow, that would be something to remember. So it may not do EVERYTHING better:) but as far as racing goes it is superior.

Good point. The Tekin setup is not waterproof. However, the Castle Mamba Monster X Extreme is waterproof... it's one that I'm considering... actually.

Good point. The Tekin setup is not waterproof. However, the Castle Mamba Monster X Extreme is waterproof... it's one that I'm considering... actually.
You might want to check with Castle on that. I believe that the motor and the ESC are waterproof when being ran sensorless but I don't believe that the sensor board in the motor is waterproofed for running sensored. So if you are running it as a sensored setup it isn't waterproof.

You might want to check with Castle on that. I believe that the motor and the ESC are waterproof when being ran sensorless but I don't believe that the sensor board in the motor is waterproofed for running sensored. So if you are running it as a sensored setup it isn't waterproof.

Ooooooohhhhhhh.... interesting... will definitely look into that!! thanks!

Ooooooohhhhhhh.... interesting... will definitely look into that!! thanks!
You're welcome. Let me know what you find out because I'm kind of interested as well. I just don't want you to ruin a new system and then have them not cover it for warranty and you're out the money. That would suck.

You're welcome. Let me know what you find out because I'm kind of interested as well. I just don't want you to ruin a new system and then have them not cover it for warranty and you're out the money. That would suck.

agreed. The Tekin is an amazing setup. I know guys with it and it's just awesome... but I wanted to avoid $300. :) If/when I get one, i'll update. thanks again!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back