Senton Senton 3S BLX vs 6S BLX (vs?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditn0

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the hobby and about to get my very first RC car for bashing. Love the Arrma cars but find it really hard to decide what to go for. Maybe some of you can add insights from a technical perspective. Driving will mostly be in (light) off-road terrain (parks/grass, gravel, some jumps).

Should I go for a 3S BLX or 6S BLX model (visually I prefer Senton over Granite)? In other words, what advantages would for example a 6S Senton have over a 3S one?

Afaik they are both the same size (albeit different weight) and main difference is top speed. I'm sure I'm missing some major technical differences here... I guess I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth to pay the premium for a 6S (plus more battery costs of course) for a newbie.

Thanks for your help with this guys!

+1 on the 3s BLX. Personally I think that’s still crazy much. I vote arrma fury brushed. I started with a brushed car. Simpler times!

If you take the bodies off -

Senton 6s is a 1/8 buggy wearing SCT tires and bumpers.
Senton 3s is a 1/10 MT (long wheel base) wearing SCT bumpers and tires.

With the 6s, everything will cost more. 4s/6s lipos (which will also trigger a need for a bigger charger) bigger motors, bigger ESC's, three diffs. It eats tires on 6s, and needs 17mm hex tires. Not many SCT tires are sold premounted on 17mm hex rims, so you will be either buying loose tires and rims and gluing them yourself, or running 1/8 buggy tires. All in all it is a monster of a SCT.

The 3s runs 2s/3s lipos (so you can use smaller / cheaper chargers) smaller motors/ESC's - This will allow you to use more "budget" support items, if needed. 14mm hex is not common, but Duratrax sells some premounts, plus you can swap to a 12mm hex and then mount most any SCT tire (with proper offset).

Both are very tough, and very fast. The 6s has more growth potential in it. The 3s would make a great starter SCT that you would not grow out of quickly - unless you start to race.

In other words, what advantages would for example a 6S Senton have over a 3S one?

We run one 6s and 2 Megas since july on track and I tried once a 3s.

Driveshafts/diff.;
From our last 4 months of track I have changed about 6 driveshafts (2 center driveshaft), 1 center diff and 1 rear diff on the 6s and only 2 slider driveshaft and no diff at all for the 2 Megas (Mega and 3s have the same slider driveshaft)… Slider driveshaft seems to absorb a lot.

On the track;
We love the 6s on the air and for cornering. Really. Easy to control and the motor/throttle response is so good before taking a jump;

1(2).jpg

I can control a bit the Mega in the air with a 9,6V Nimh, but not that much. I did not try the 3s in the air, but from what I saw here on AF, he seems to be good (to very good) too.

Shocks:
We have a leak on 5 of 8 Megas shocks… (but the 3s shocks, from what I understood, are stiffer…) No maintenance on 6s shocks since july.

I don't understand why is there no stock sway bar on the 6s V3. But there are easy to add on. I will do it this winter.

For an entry RC truck, the 3s is a good deal (brushless and precise power module) I mean, just because of the so-so Mega power module, I will maybe swap 1 Mega for a 3s for next spring.

Just my newbie opinion. Hope it help.
PL

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

@joostin420 : Yes, I agree that it might be better to see whether I'll stay in the hobby and ease of maintenance sure is a crucial thing.

@Jerry-rigged : Awesome, thanks for the detailed technical breakdown, appreciate it. Puts the associated costs for upgrades etc in a better perpective.

@pl9171 : Thanks for the info on the experience you've had with the 6S and Mega so far! Both seem to be great cars- appears I can't go wrong either way.

I'll go with your suggestions here and order a 3S Senton. Seems to be out of stock everywhere in Germany atm so I'll have to be patient...

Hi pal, my pal and I have got into the Hobby recently, we both got an HPI model last year (I got a Blitz Flux, which I love and he went for the Firestorm Flux) Due to HPI parts being more or less zero we are now both in the market for a new model. I’m going Senton 3s BLX and I think my pal is going for the Granite 3s BLX.

Both look epic and 50mph is plenty fast for me.

I went through the same decision in the exact same circumstances. Cost is not an issue for me. I landed on the 3s BLX. It's plenty fast and being able to run on 1 battery was the main deciding factor. Having to deal with twice of everything for the batteries or single very expensive 6s batteries. So far i have not had any issues with durability on my Senton that i decided wasnt right for me and will be selling and moved on to a granite.

is your senton a blx or mega? do you just want the shorter wheelbase or the MT look? if you have the BLX and just want the MT look, throw on a 1/8 MT body(double check size and wheelbase but my maxx proline c10 body looks to fit perfect) and some new wheels/tires and BAM, monster truck.

is your senton a blx or mega? do you just want the shorter wheelbase or the MT look? if you have the BLX and just want the MT look, throw on a 1/8 MT body(double check size and wheelbase but my maxx proline c10 body looks to fit perfect) and some new wheels/tires and BAM, monster truck.

Was this meant for me? I already bought a Granite. So right now I have both In 3s blx form. I think the senton is the same chassis as the big rock. Thinking I might like the longer wheel base in a MT of the big rock. Might convert my senton into a big rock. So on the fence on which one to keep. I know I want MT just not sure on LWB or SWB.

Yeah, that was for you. The "will be selling" confused me, didn't think you'd already pulled the trigger on the granite. Yeah the big rock is a MT'ed senton, and is the route my sentons currently going.

Yeah, that was for you. The "will be selling" confused me, didn't think you'd already pulled the trigger on the granite. Yeah the big rock is a MT'ed senton, and is the route my sentons currently going.

Yeah. I probably have just bough a big rock to begin with. I'm not sure I like how easy it is to wheelie the granite. The senton doesn't wheelie as much. Not sure if it's the wheelbase or if the tires don't have enough bite and just spin more preventing the wheelies. If that's the case and it will have the same thing once it has MT tires then it's not worth it to me.

I'm sure it's a blend of grip/wheelbase. An MT tire with more forward bite should make the senton wheelie easier but the longer wheelbase having more weight forward will make the same setup harder to wheelie vs the granite assuming everything's identical besides wheelbase. Pretty much the only time my senton wheelies is if I come up over a hill while accelerating and it flattens out but the front end keeps going up.

I'm sure it's a blend of grip/wheelbase. An MT tire with more forward bite should make the senton wheelie easier but the longer wheelbase having more weight forward will make the same setup harder to wheelie vs the granite assuming everything's identical besides wheelbase. Pretty much the only time my senton wheelies is if I come up over a hill while accelerating and it flattens out but the front end keeps going up.

Yeah the granite is a wheelie machine. It looks cool but not real great for performance.

Harder to go where you want because your front wheels are always light/in the air so steering suffers... I get it, my maxx is kinda the same way but I love it.

Harder to go where you want because your front wheels are always light/in the air so steering suffers... I get it, my maxx is kinda the same way but I love it.

I totally disagree. I own all 3 and my Senton is most limited due to the small tires and low ground clearance. I love my Granite. Watch @Rich Duperbash last video and tell me if it looks like that truck doesn't steer.

Wheelies look cool but its wasted power as you cant maintain the wheelie for long because you lose steering. Would rather put usable power to the ground.

Learn throttle control and I'm not trying to be an ass. But seriously. It's nowhere near as wheelie happy as my Notorious.

I can control the throttle to control the wheelies but then again I'm losing performance by not being at WOT. Basically making WOT unusable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back