Senton Senton 3's cogging first run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny b

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
  2. Typhon 3s
Hey guys...as it states. First run. Proline trenchers, 15 tooth pinion. Everything else 100% stock. I did research cogging issues extensively prior to posting. Let me add that the trencher tires are very close to stock size. New to electrics but I'm certain its cogging. Need your expertise in helping me minimize it if possible. Adding a sensored system is not yet an option. My pinion mesh is perfect around the entire spur. Bearings intact and functioning smooth everywhere. Did not tear into the motor just because its new. Visually inspected all connection wires between motor and esc . I believe slipper clutch is properly set. My thought Is start with the easy things. Threw the stock tires back on and look for change, then perhaps adjust punch? I'm not sure where its at now but know how to change it. Finally, I'm running a smc 3s 5200 135c pack. Having said all that, In my excitement, I never got the tx off 75%. A stupid fast wheelie machine. 😁 Loving it!.... appreciate your input and knowledge. Thanks!

Don't know which ESC you are using but you can play with the timing settings.

Did you do any soldering? Check for cold joints.

Punch IMO should always be 100%, you control the rest with your TQ.

Don't know which ESC you are using but you can play with the timing settings.

Did you do any soldering? Check for cold joints.

Punch IMO should always be 100%, you control the rest with your TQ.
Stock blx 100 esc. No soldering. Thanks for your input. Not familiar with timing settings...lots to learn.

Do you have a video? 3s line cogging is normal from a stop but it shouldn't be too bad. If it is really bad you could have a defective motor or esc.

Sorry no video. Yes, the cogging is only present from a stop or near stop when I'm off the throttle and not consistent. Based on this I'm guessing its not the esc. but again, I'm inexperienced. A little stumped since the 15 tooth pinion should play in my favor. Stock is 20 tooth. Motor was just slightly warm to the touch. Some have mentioned a change to the punch setting seemed to help. Who knows?

Hey guys...as it states. First run. Proline trenchers, 15 tooth pinion. Everything else 100% stock. I did research cogging issues extensively prior to posting. Let me add that the trencher tires are very close to stock size. New to electrics but I'm certain its cogging. Need your expertise in helping me minimize it if possible. Adding a sensored system is not yet an option. My pinion mesh is perfect around the entire spur. Bearings intact and functioning smooth everywhere. Did not tear into the motor just because its new. Visually inspected all connection wires between motor and esc . I believe slipper clutch is properly set. My thought Is start with the easy things. Threw the stock tires back on and look for change, then perhaps adjust punch? I'm not sure where its at now but know how to change it. Finally, I'm running a smc 3s 5200 135c pack. Having said all that, In my excitement, I never got the tx off 75%. A stupid fast wheelie machine. 😁 Loving it!.... appreciate your input and knowledge. Thanks!
I tried 17t and 13t on my Senton no cogging even from being stopped. Something could be wrong with your car.

I tried 17t and 13t on my Senton no cogging even from being stopped. Something could be wrong with your car.
Very possibly, I'll check into it more. Thankfully Horizon is very good with warranties. Thanks for responding.

I have seen a couple cases here of cogging and it did turn out to be a bad ESC however if the motor has any windings that are starting to go that can also cause some weirdness. You can use a multimeter and check the resistance on each phase of the motor to see if they are consistent with each other (phases AB, BC, CA)

If you use an Android and have a Google account, uploading private (only people with the link can see it) videos is really easy. (y)

I appreciate that. Oddly enough the cogging would only happen when the truck was farthest away from me at the far end of the field. Batteries in the tx were not new but obviously not dead. I was running near our airport. Wonder if that could have anything to do with it. Wouldn't think the stock slt3 radio would be that glitchy though. Thoughts?

It does run on 2.4GHz, you might be on to something there.

It does run on 2.4GHz, you might be on to something there.
I initially ran it in my backyard. Responded perfectly as I had to run slow in a confined area. Ill try that again. I'm sure ill get it sorted. Appreciate your help!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back