Senton senton 3s is a tire eater!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exc3l

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
I got street tires and they should be arriving soon. I had dboot multybyte and I think driving on the street killed them/ ripped them up. If not how can I prevent my soon arriving street tires to not rip? THX FOR ANY HELP ;)

The streets are not kind to rubber. The only was to prevent wear is to not use them, you can drive zless aggressively and it will lessen the wear but there is no stopping it. I switched to rally type tires for tooling around and knobby tires when going off road for reals. The ones I got are stupendoussly cheap and hold up pretty well all things considered.

To prevent tearing: let off the throttle when the tires start to balloon, glue tirea to rim and vent your tires if they aren't already. I also strap my tires on my kraton but don't bother strapping the senton.

Here's what I've been using, they're pretty decent all around tires and rims for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073WCQ17L?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The tires ballooning and shredding themselves on the body is a possible culprit as well. My dad's gone through several Badlands due to this very thing. He ended up trimming the body back and it solved his recurring issue of shredding rubber.

The street won't directly cause a tear. This can happen anywhere but usually happens due to the tires ballooning so much that they can't handle the stress and tear. You have to control your throttle ahem wheels are off the ground. If you're taking a sharp turn and end up on two wheels (or one wheel) all your power will go to those two (or one) that is off the ground causing it to instantly expand and if you have a body like the senton it's basically a knife waiting to slice your tires. On that not, when I strengthen my bodies with shoe goo and drywall tape I put some shoe goo along the edge of the wheel wells to make it less sharp.

At any rate, tires exploding have more to do with driving style than surface ;)

The tires ballooning and shredding themselves on the body is a possible culprit as well. My dad's gone through several Badlands due to this very thing. He ended up trimming the body back and it solved his recurring issue of shredding rubber.
hes Im pretty sure thats the culprit for the front!
Thanks every one. The arrma forum communtiy is amazing!

Grrat tips. I've been wondering this myself. I guess trimming the body it is another thing I need to to. I already vented the tires, I learned from my first set..lol

I agree, this community is amazing

I got street tires and they should be arriving soon. I had dboot multybyte and I think driving on the street killed them/ ripped them up. If not how can I prevent my soon arriving street tires to not rip? THX FOR ANY HELP ;)

What street tires are you getting and from where? I need to order some for my Senton, as I have burnt through 2 sets already

Grrat tips. I've been wondering this myself. I guess trimming the body it is another thing I need to to. I already vented the tires, I learned from my first set..lol

I agree, this community is amazing
Don't need to trim the body, just fix the ballooning. If you tighten the slipper/center diff (depending on which you have) it will help. I believe the 3s comes with a center diff, if so put some super heavy fuel in there or do like I do and put the silicone ear plugs instead. With the slipper I usually tighten that sucker up because I bash till the wheels fall off and they haven't done that yet ;)

I don't have any ballooning anymore unless I'm on the back or side, locking the center diff puts the power more evenly to the tire so you'll no longer have the front ballooning so much. You can also glue some fishing line or something around the tires to physically prevent ballooning too but much hard to do on 10th scale ;)

Haven't strapped by 10th scale tires, haven't had a need yet. Have done my Kraton though because that thinv was too nutty before I ear plugged the center diff ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_085420.jpg
    IMG_20200724_085420.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 67
wow. Thanks, I got soo much to learn,. thats part of the fun of this hobby though.. fish line around tires, wow, that never even occurred to me, i could hear a little rubbing of the body on occasion too, but this may further minimize that or eliminate it.... interesting.

wow. Thanks, I got soo much to learn,. thats part of the fun of this hobby though.. fish line around tires, wow, that never even occurred to me, i could hear a little rubbing of the body on occasion too, but this may further minimize that or eliminate it.... interesting.
Get some shoe goo and strengthen your body with that and drywall tape and while you're there put some shoe goo along the edge of the body where the wheels go to help prevent the knifng action. Shoe goo is also really good for holding straps on the tires as well as strengthening the body and is generally the best of awesome stuff to have regardless...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002L9AL84?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Here's what my bodies look like after putting the mesh drywall tape (sticky on one side) then liberal amounts of shoe goo on top. Senton took almost two full tubes before I was done,, did the kraton in just over one tube. Doing this not only strengthens the body and can make the edges less sharp if applied right but it also lower the noise you get out of the body. No more hollow plastic bouncing around noises ;)

Attachments

• 20200810_235436.jpg
    20200810_235436.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200810_235348.jpg
    20200810_235348.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Thank you. So I need 2 bottles?

I think I saw a video of someone also putting plasti dip? Should I stick to shoe goo.

Edit: how long does it take to dry?

Thank you. So I need 2 bottles?

I think I saw a video of someone also putting plasti dip? Should I stick to shoe goo.

Edit: how long does it take to dry?
Shoe goo is the best for this, plastidip didn't bond well when I tried if and ended up cracking off but shoe goo turns into a hard rubber layer that's super tough and bonds very well to most surfaces. Takes about 15 minutes to be tacky (touchable) but I'd give it a few hours minimum, over night is best. The longer it's out of the tube the tougher it gets.

I use popsicle sticks to spread the goo, put the drywall mesh down where you want reinforcement the slather the goo all over. It will settle into a flat surface naturally so don't be too shocked how ugly it is while applying, just try and spread it as evenly as possible and make sure to get along the edge with tape. Also,, where you can't get tape fill with goo. Then lay it upside down and let it cure, may want to leave in a well ventilated place or the garage, it gets strong smelling for a bit ;)

This is the drywall tape I use, turns it into fiberglass basically:

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-1-88-In...e&qid=1597134345&sprefix=drywall+mesh+&sr=8-3

What street tires are you getting and from where? I need to order some for my Senton, as I have burnt through 2 sets already
I got proline street thrasher 2.2/3.0 from big boys with cool toys. They have this loyalty thing where you sign up and stuff you get 25$CAD of your order. Thats one set of tires. The tire are $24.95CAD for two!Hope that helps!

I believe the 3s comes with a center diff, if so put some super heavy fuel in there or do like I do and put the silicone ear plugs instead.

Can I just say that the 3S line does not have a centre diff. Just a slipper clutch. Also I'm sure you don't mean heavy fuel but heavy oil :D.

I got proline street thrasher 2.2/3.0 from big boys with cool toys. They have this loyalty thing where you sign up and stuff you get 25$CAD of your order. Thats one set of tires. The tire are $24.95CAD for two!Hope that helps!

I must be blind because I can only find Pro-line Street Fighter's

I got Duratrax Bandito MTs on my Senton since I do a lot of driving on concrete. They're holding up way better than any other tires I've tried. No separation. Traction on grass isn't as good as stock, but acceptable as long as it's not super wet.

I raised the body to accomodate them.

S.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back