Senton Senton 3s servo jamming with stones constantly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh How Original

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Kraton 4s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
Right, so those who own a Senton 3s and run in gravel probably have the same issue, I am constantly having stones get stuck and jamming the servo up.
Basically, the hole in the front of the chassis that the steering rod goes through is where they are getting in, but I am not sure what the best route to go is to stop it happening.
On the bottom of the chassis there's two cut outs, for hex driver access to the servo/horn, I was thinking about cutting out the piece of chassis between these two holes, then there's nowhere for the stones to actually sit, they'd essentially just fall straight out.
But before I void my warranty, does anyone else have a different solution as I'm sure I'm not the only one having the issue.

I would not cut the chassis at all. (n)
I would however find a better place to bash.(y):)
Voiding your warranty is a moot point.

I would not cut the chassis at all. (n)
I would however find a better place to bash.(y):)
Voiding your warranty is a moot point.

Finding a new place to bash isn't an option, I enjoy the place I bash already, but it's covered in gravel, with gravel jumps etc... It's great and very local, within walking distance.
The chassis cut wouldn't weaken it, I'm sure of that based on where it is, it would just be making a hole that's already there a bit bigger to allow stones to fall straight out.

I understand. Places to go bash are far and few for some of us.(y) We want convenience and some place close, and hopefully in our back yard.:LOL:
Make absolutely sure you know where the gravel/rocks/pebbles are entering. If you are confident it is only coming from the servo rod, some how shroud that area, but allowing free servo movement. Dremelling out the chassis is not tragic( warranty should not be the issue), but in my opinion is just a band-aid to the problem of where you are driving. A bad bashing spot is what it is. There are some of my rigs that work better on different surfaces. I learned to accommodate my rigs where they run best. I've been in your dilemma before. A jammed up steering linkage from a rock can destroy your servo real fast. Its a nuisance to deal with. Lost steering when it locks up etc. I get it.
I would rather try preventing rocks from entering. Trying to allow rocks to escape may or may not work depending on size of cut out and the size of rocks you are dealing with at any given time. But cutting it out is your choice. And what do you have to lose? You will learn something. There may be others here to help you better.

Last edited:
I enjoy bashing in gravel too though, we have a lot of quarries and stuff here, they're always excellent with the Yeti and I must admit, aside from this issue I am loving the Senton so far.
I can't shroud the area they are entering unfortunately, because the space is occupied when the servo is moving, it's difficult to explain if you aren't looking at one, if another owner comments they should understand what I mean.
My friend who bashes with me suggested using some very light foam in the area, it will keep stones out, but should still allow the servo arm and rods to move freely, but I am unsure, I think it will just pop out with servo movement.

I completely understand. First and foremost, you are running Short Course body. That is your main problem overall. Its the nature of the beast.
The chassis collects so much debris and doesn't exit.

It’s the same issue with all the 4x4 trucks. I simply put Gorilla tape over the whole in the bottom. You can get a Dusty Motors cover to protect it from the top side. Or you could just cut a piece is window screen to fit over the steering area.

I don't run in gravel for many reasons. But many do for other reasons. All good.(y)

It’s the same issue with all the 4x4 trucks. I simply put Gorilla tape over the whole in the bottom. You can get a Dusty Motors cover to protect it from the top side. Or you could just cut a piece is window screen to fit over the steering area.

It's not getting in through the bottom, it's getting in through the front.
I have tried covering the bottom hole up and it made no difference, that hole in the bottom is a good way for stones to actually escape, which is why my initial and so far best solution is to make the hole bigger so more can escape easier.

Its the body causing the problem. I don't see one simple remedy. I also have a short course ProSe 4x4(AE) I had to get dusty motor shroud. But gear runs hot when over 70Deg F. So I remove it mostly till winter. All SC body's collect tons of debris.
I never ran it in fresh cut grass or heavily graveled areas. Honestly, Short course was originally designed for a groomed track.
You may be spinning your wheels with this problem. I would look to drive elsewhere. If this is a new hobby for you, or your first rig, I would consider different places to run. I wouldn't drive my car in the ocean if it always would sink no matter what I did to prevent it. Get my drift.(y):cool:

Its the body causing the problem. I don't see one simple remedy. I also have a short course ProSe 4x4(AE) I had to get dusty motor shroud. But gear runs hot when over 70Deg F. So I remove it mostly till winter. All SC body's collect tons of debris.
I never ran it in fresh cut grass or heavily graveled areas. Honestly, Short course was originally designed for a groomed track.
You may be spinning your wheels with this problem. I would look to drive elsewhere. If this is a new hobby for you, or your first rig, I would consider different places to run. I wouldn't drive my car in the ocean if it always would sink no matter what I did to prevent it. Get my drift.(y):cool:

Been in the hobby many many years so I get it :) but no I'm not finding somewhere else, I enjoy running in gravel so I will have to find a solution :D it's now my mission.
I don't think the body is making any difference, yes it's allowing stuff to fly in, but I really do think stuff would still get in without a body.
I do have a 6s Kraton coming too, but I really want to use both trucks along with my others, only this one is giving me this issue.
I WILL sort it, it's just a question of how :D

I should try to somehow create some wheelwells.. When drivin a "wheels-inside-body" design.. Most stuff comes in from the wheels.. I know that some UK based company is tryin to make it for the 6s senton..

I know yu can sort it out. You have a grip on the problem. I feel that there is no one solution. Where you run, the type of body, and steering design all to be considered That's all. Opening the chassis with a Dremel may mitigate the problem somewhat. I wish others could chime in here. Good luck. I am not a sc guy. Mine is a shelf queen now. My AE SC runs better on the shelf. With shattered diff gears. No parts train anymore.:giggle:

Yep I will figure something out for sure, I even consdered attaching some mesh to the steering arm itself, so the arm can still move but mesh is moving across the gap where the stones are coming in.

Try blocking the kickup of debris/rocks from the front wheels. That may be more effective. An inner well behind/inboard of the Front wheels?? maybe.

Yes that's definitely an option, it's more a case of how would one mount it, aside from drilling into the arm and bolting some styrene on.

Shroud the inner body behind the fr wheels?
Put a Typhon body on it instead. Or any buggy body. Make the SC an open wheeler:giggle: get creative.

Last edited:
Haha, well don't think I haven't thought about a buggy conversion, a bit like a Backslash 4x4.

I've had this happen with my Granite. It's my driveway, so I'm not finding a different spot either lol
I'm thinking some mesh squares, glued vertically to the chassis guard, over the steering rack. Tall enough that when the body is attached, they hit the hood/windshield area. I don't run a servo saver with the 6s servo, and I had a huge rock get jammed in there couple days ago. Wedged hard enough, I needed a screw driver to get it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back