Senton Senton 3S slowed after running through the grass just fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think it's possible that the LVC setting on my LVA is higher than the ESC. I'd hear the alarm go off but the truck was still running normally. I have to check the setting on my LVA and make sure it's the same as the ESC's. That's probably a better way to have it setup - at least for troubleshooting. It may be I just can't remember but the truck would go into limp mode even at times when the LVA wasn't going off. And the first time it just totally died I had just started out. Ran the truck down a hill and was running it back up and it just slowed down to a crawl then died - like a minute into using it. No LVA, no limp mode, just a crawl and then no throttle, just steering servo until I toggled the power. Went up and down the same hill about 4 more times without issue with the same battery.

Spoke with a Lectron support rep this morning (who were very helpful and took the time to get a good understanding of what was going on which was nice) and they suggested charging the battery and running the IR Meter Program that's on the charger against it to test voltage sag as it's possible there's an issue with the battery if it's charged up to 4.2v/cell and within a minute of use it's sagging enough to trigger my LVA set at 3.6v as some of you have suggested might be the case.

Irrc the lvc on the blx escs is set at 3.2v but I need to double check that.

What type of connector is on the ESC? Is it the one it came with or has it been changed. If it's been changed, who soldered it? Are you using any adapters. The one thing that I find interesting is this:

So the external alarm also detected a low voltage situation. So both the ESC are sensing a voltage drop.
Exactly. Two devices are saying your lipo is sh!t but you think it’s not the Lipo ??‍♂️?

EC3

Both batteries have EC3 connectors on them so I don't need an adapter.

Do you mean EC5? EC5 is what comes on the truck, EC3 would be too restrictive of a connector and definitely need to be changed out.

Are both of your batteries the Lecton Pro product? I thought you had bought a different battery type for your second battery.

I just ordered an 8000 mAh SMC branded 2S to maximize the run time for my son while using it RC club. Fedex ground shipping from VA to NC should only be 1 day so I think I should have it by Wed, or Thurs at the latest. I will try it again once the battery arrives. It would be nice it this was the solution.

OK thanks. The reason I was pretty sure it was not the battery was because I thought you had a different battery. I'll update as soon as we run it on the new battery. I'll charge it and run it while he's at school (the benefit of working from home). :)

Ok so I tested the first battery I purchased, the Lectron Pro 3S 5200mAh 50C.

1) Charged fully *I did learn something potentially critical (I'm a little embarrassed to admit but for science I will make that sacrifice) that there was a setting on my charger - kinda like a backup Killswitch - that limits the capacity to prevent overcharging. The default setting is 5000mAh. I did not change the setting as the directions aren't really clear about how that should be set and as a newby I was paranoid about starting a fire... That's my excuse. Not sure if it was the culprit though.

2) Checked ran the IR Meter Program and the battery read 6.3 mO. Now the support guy said 2-6 is normal so I'm not sure what being 6.3 makes the battery. But from what I've seen online this battery doesn't appear to be race-worthy at that number and accordjng to Lectron support is at the high end of resistance that would be considered "normal".

3.) Discharged the battery the fun way. The vehicle ran without issue until the motor got too hot and it went into limp mode but I am certain it was do to running nonstop in grass from 4.2v to 3.76v when I stopped.

4) I ran the IR Meter on the battery at 3.76v and it read 23.4mO

So it did run better but is 6.3mO too much resistance and perhaps indicative of a faulty battery? And is normal to be so high with .36v remaining before LVC?

1) Charged fully *I did learn something potentially critical (I'm a little embarrassed to admit but for science I will make that sacrifice) that there was a setting on my charger - kinda like a backup Killswitch - that limits the capacity to prevent overcharging. The default setting is 5000mAh. I did not change the setting as the directions aren't really clear about how that should be set and as a newby I was paranoid about starting a fire... That's my excuse. Not sure if it was the culprit though.

2) Checked ran the IR Meter Program and the battery read 6.3 mO. Now the support guy said 2-6 is normal so I'm not sure what being 6.3 makes the battery. But from what I've seen online this battery doesn't appear to be race-worthy at that number and accordjng to Lectron support is at the high end of resistance that would be considered "normal".

3.) Discharged the battery the fun way. The vehicle ran without issue until the motor got too hot and it went into limp mode but I am certain it was do to running nonstop in grass from 4.2v to 3.76v when I stopped.

So it did run better but is 6.3mO too much resistance and perhaps indicative of a faulty battery? And is normal to be so high with .36v remaining before LVC?
I did the exact same thing as #1 when I was new to lipo. Don’t beat yourself up. ??

I did the exact same thing as #1 when I was new to lipo. Don’t beat yourself up. ??
Same here, but my hangup was the timer which I had unknowingly left at 30 minutes. That was NOT enough time to charge from LVC. I watched like a hawk every time I had to start it up for a second time to get a full charge...

Your readings are they total or each individual cell IR readings?

2-6 is what should be considered normal for each individual cell in the battery IMO.

Which charger are you using? Some (most?) of the IR meters are pretty unreliable, and totally fluctuate depending on whether the battery is charging, discharging, etc.

Which charger are you using? Some (most?) of the IR meters are pretty unreliable, and totally fluctuate depending on whether the battery is charging, discharging, etc.
It's the Lectron Pro AC-DC10a charger.
Your readings are they total or each individual cell IR readings?

2-6 is what should be considered normal for each individual cell in the battery IMO.
Not sure when you run it it just says Main Out: 6.3mO. I guess I didn't try to see if it broke it down or if this is an average or what. I'll try that tonight when I test my other battery.

You don't check ir immediately after charging or at 3.7v or at storage voltage as it will always give you a false reading.

Discharge the battery down to 3.4v per cell then charge the battery to 4.2v per cell now here is the important step wait an hour for the battery to get to room temperature then check the ir.

You don't check ir immediately after charging or at 3.7v or at storage voltage as it will always give you a false reading.

Discharge the battery down to 3.4v per cell then charge the battery to 4.2v per cell now here is the important step wait an hour for the battery to get to room temperature then check the ir.
Thanks for the tip. Just curious, what is the importance of running down to 3.4v per cell prior to charging it? I'll try this this weekend on both batteries. It may be premature but I am hoping the issue was just with that mAh limit that was too low by default.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back