Senton Senton 4x4 Mega : Journey from stock breakages to brushless and beyond.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Senton and Granite Megas are going to go the way of the Dodo. The Mega series in stock form just isn't worth $230 and poor Curvin paid even more due to living in Australia. In the US you can get a brushless version with a much better driveline for $70 more. You would be hard pressed to convert the Mega to a brushless version for $70. You would have to use bargain basement electronics and you're still not going to get it done.

The biggest problems with the series is the motor and servo. Everything else is fine for BRUSHED power. I am not sure why Arrma designed the Mega with no real path to 3s. Maybe they thought it would hurt sales of their planned brushless version. I bought the Granite first and ran the brushed motor for 1 or 2 days. It didn't fail, but it was just too slow. I went to a Castle SW4/1405-4600Kv combo and ran on 2s problem free. Any breakages were due to driving. When I tried 3s I stripped the spur and that's when I decided to go with the 32p mod. When I bought my Senton I didn't even run it with the brushed motor. Out it came and in went the 4600Kv I had in my Granite (I put a 3800 Kv in it). I also put in the 32p gears. I beat the hell out of the trucks and they have held up. 4s has been tearing up wheel driveshafts but I can't blame the truck for that (not even the new truck is designed for 4s).

I have enjoyed my experience with the Mega's even though I have spent a ton of money on them. I could have bought an Outcast for what I spend on my Granite alone. But I learned a lot. I LOVE the new BLX version. They addressed everything they needed to address with the Mega and delivered it at a very reasonable price. If I wasn't so emotionaly attached to my original Granite I probably wouldn't even drive it. And the Senton? I am not a fan of SCT's I will probably use the chassis and build a Big Rock when they become available :)

As for poor Curvin, I would throw in the towel. The fact that parts are nearly impossible to get makes it a very difficult truck to run. Every RC breaks at some point and if you can't get parts without being bent over a barrel, then it's time to get something else.

I mostly agree with your assessment of the Mega, but I'd also throw the ESC in to the list of basic problems. Maybe that ESC works fine in the 2wd Mega line, but it is not up to par for a 4wd truck. Seems like close to half of us could not get to LVC without it overheating and shutting down. For the motor - power is fine for a brushed truck, but if you are lucky enough to get a ESc that will last to LVC, the fact that they spec'ed BUSHINGS instead of bearings means the motor cannot last a dozen runs before the tail-shaft bushing wears and destroys stuff. And yeah, a 5kg, plastic gear servo on a 1/10 MT is asking for problems. How mine is still living, I don't know... LOL

So for the Mega 4x4, you have to plan on Motor, ESC, Servo, if you want to run more than a dozen or so packs. The sad part (to me) for Arrma, at the OEM level, this is a total of about $5-$15 per truck. For us users, it is closer to $50-$75.

Doing some research on a replacement brushed motor to start the move back to something more stock, not really getting many options, and I reached out to the local RC Buy/swap/Sell community who have served me well for pretty much anything else, and getting crickets.

If I go ARRMA, its almost as much as the GoolRC combo , and from what Jerry just mentioned, is a waste of money and may not be the best choice for who ever I will be moving this on to.

None of the parts required are back in stock as yet, listed ETA is this week, I'll see how that pans out.

FWIW- I am starting to see other Mega 4x4's pop up on the SH market locally, one lists a brushless upgrade , 2S , in good condition, only needing a Spur Gear which is easily and cheaply available on Ebay, apparently, LOL.

I bit my tongue :p

Traxxas makes a 550 12t brushed motor with bearings instead of bushing. Replacement cost is the same $20 US as the Arrma motor. With the bearings, it will last longer, but the brushes will still wear out...

If I was looking for 'like stock' performance, I'd get a F540 brushless motor, in a KV between 3000-3500. These systems are cheap, and power is very similar to the brushed 550 12t that came in the truck stock. BUT - longer battery life and the motor will last almost forever. I did run my Granite with a 3000kv F540 motor that I have in the toolbox, and it did pretty good.

I wish the Traxxas motor was $20.00 here , both the ARRMA and Traxxas will set me back delivered between $50-60.00.

I have found a 550/12T from YeahRacing that could be an alternative, but no details on whether its bushed or bearing , and its listed for Rock Crawling, but can't see how it could be that different to the stock motor unless the 21,000 RPM is way down on stock ? RPM is not specified by ARRMA for the stock engine.

I hear ya re the Brushless 540 and lower KV being a good alternative, but I just want to get it back to brushed and sell it on with the NIMH batteries and have a clearer conscience selling it to the next owner.

Last edited:
I owned one of the first Arrma cars back in 2013, and after that a new 2014 model (big revision at the time). And the mega servos broke soon, and the motors were blown also within an hour! Especially on 2S lipo (outperforms all ni-mh packs by far!). Stock plastic shocks were broken soon after.
Same with other brand cars.

RC hobby grade cars are not consumer electronics. Most people do not understans that!

Love the new 4x4 Arrma's, but wish they sold them as kits or rollers too.

Haven't updated for a while, I was hoping to do just one last post with the truck stitched together as a brushed unit and heading to market, but ETA for the needed ARRMA parts keeps getting pushed back. What started as end of August turned into end of September then end of October , now mid to late November. At this point no one is believing anything the new distro is telling them re ETA.

ARRMA supply locally in Oz continues to be a running joke unfortunately , the new distro isn't exactly inspiring any confidence , and in the 6 months we have owned the truck, if it wasn't for the upgrades and the generosity and assistance from the forum community here to help with importing some parts , the truck would essentially have been broken for 5 1/2 months of the 6 months of ownership.

Lesson learned for anyone new to RC, always confirm parts availability before purchasing !

FWIW - Still no confirmation of the pricing for the 3BLX , let alone ETA.

Last edited:
I hear you Curvin, I've owned my Fury for almost 12 months now and everytime I've gone to order parts (quite often!) its been hit and miss (see my thread on DIY slipper clutches).

From my local dealer, the spur (AR310799) is now BO from Horizon…
Just received my 3D printed plastic bushing but still waiting for a new spur. The 3D bushing helped, but there's still a little whobble with the spinner.
A 3D bushing + Spur kit combo can be do. I don't know if it worth.
Thanks Curvin for all the thread info.
PL
note: by the way, we have changed nearly everything on our 2 kids Megas since july… (extreme driving at the track)

So I found this interesting thread from 2018...I will save everyone from reading all 10 pages of trials and tribulations but essentially it is about distribution problems during the Horizon translation (particularly to Australia) and, more importantly, quality issues with the entire MEGA line. From this thread a lot of opinions are shared that the MEGA line is just garbage. Besides the brushed motor and servo, which are still known to be problematic today, there seemed to be a lot more issues than what still seems common today.

I was not around then so I don't know but has Arrma addressed a lot of the quality issues? The attitude toward the Senton seems to have changed since this thread was started... I am assuming that is because the quality improved.

Cheers,
Andre

I purchased a Granite Mega early 2018 and had a few issues with it. The C-blocks broke very easily. Obviously the motor and ESC were not great. The included NiMH pack got used exactly twice. The charger was useless. I purchased a 2S lipo and charger from Amazon and it was more fun then. The 3S lineup wasn’t around then. I bought the Granite BLX as soon as I discovered it. Was shortly after they launched it. Much more durable and fun, even thought they shared some common parts.

My daughter still has her Mega Truggy/Senton LWB.
(the 2s 3200kv brushless is still too fast for her)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back