Senton Senton 4x4 Mega : Journey from stock breakages to brushless and beyond.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bicketybam,

Cool, thanks for that.

Any modification needed to fit ?

Do you have a snapshot with them fitted you can post up ?

Here a picture of the traxxas adapter..
20180731_100038.jpg

Guess I should share this . The big plan of running with my grandson came to a smoky end before it got started . ESC had melt down,, Could've been worse .Prawn says I was geared to high ,,Maybe cant remember 14 or 17 , 90 deg no thermal shutdown ,

Attachments

• IMG_20180801_120752348.jpg
    IMG_20180801_120752348.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20180801_120830876.jpg
    IMG_20180801_120830876.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 56
Guess I should share this . The big plan of running with my grandson came to a smoky end before it got started . ESC had melt down,, Could've been worse .Prawn says I was geared to high ,,Maybe cant remember 14 or 17 , 90 deg no thermal shutdown ,

What ESC is that?

Yep, she is cooked !!

Was that on 2S or 3S ?

I have the 3900KV version, so hopefully I have a little more headroom.

Standard gearing on the Senton is 17 , 14 on the Granite.

Who's prawn btw ?

@GuyFromCanada,

Thats a 60A GoolRC

Prawn is a member on here ,my friend and neighbor. It was on 3s . Not really sure why , gonna go over to Hobby wing when I get a chance,

@KMS,

O.K, Cool.

I am happy to stay on 2S with the Senton , even more so after seeing your ESC. I have 3S on the Hunter ( which has HobbyWing ESC / Motor). The GoolRC for me was just a cheap interim , but if it lasts on 2S, all the better. FWIW - I recently read that the ARRMA BLX ESC are actually rebranded HobbyWing , discovered when the HobbyWing Programmer dialled into the settings.

Well it was probably inevitable, today we joined the stripped spur club !

Slipper clutch stank pretty bad as well, so not sure whether motor was jammed by gravel /debris , either way, end results was the same !

Problem now being no stock, I have back orders in place for the last 3 months , no hint of when ARRMA spares stock will be replenished here in Australia !

Anyone got any suggestions where I can score a few in the US that will ship to Oz ?

Last edited:
Just remembered something else to run past the assembled, I have noticed we are constantly needing to readjust the steering trim to keep the car running straight. There isn't a a lot of slop in the steering, so has me scratching my head unless the servo is drifting somehow ?

Anything in particular I need to be looking out for ?

Just remembered something else to run past the assembled, I have noticed we are constantly needing to readjust the steering trim to keep the car running straight. There isn't a a lot of slop in the steering, so has me scratching my head unless the servo is drifting somehow ?

Anything in particular I need to be looking out for ?
Mine does this too, I’m guessing it’s my stock Tactic remote....cheap problems

It might be am running a FLYSKI gt3c and no problems

For the Spur, head to the sticky "Recommended upgrades" post and look for the Yeti Spur mod...

For the steering slop, if the links look solid, then check the servo saver and the servo itself. A good Kimbrough SS would be a good swap for the stock SS, and the servo - the gears can wear, causing centering issues...

@Jerry-rigged ,

Thanks , but not going there. As I noted in my other thread asking for suggestions for US supply of a spur gear, I have decided not to go for the Yeti spur gear mod , although I do have the technical capability of pulling it off. I am just over patching and custom modding the truck to be honest. Just want a quick bolt in , no custom hacking, shimming, spacing, etc

I was tossing up cutting my losses and selling it to be honest , just buy a second Hunter BL and spend more time belting around and having some fun with the trucks, instead of just constantly wrenching repairs. The only reason I am hanging in there is my son has grown very attached to the modded truck and talked me out of it.

Re the steering inconsistency, servo saver might be an idea , I just screwed the stocky back onto the upgraded servo, and can never get it 100% centered ( seems a 1/2 tooth out) , but I can amend that with the trim. Its the constant need to readjust the trim as soon as the truck is driven thats the issue, as there doesn't seem to be enough play for it it to be shifting. The servo is a Power HD 20KG unit, I don't think it could possibly be warn. I remember the centering issue with the stock servo as well.

Do you have a link to the servo saver you mentioned ?

I also have a few options that came with the servo itself that I can also try if any are suitable.

I would get one of these -
This mid size is about the same size as my stock SS-
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbrough-mid-size-servo-saver-futaba-hitec-airtronics-kim201/p32168

I use these large / heavy duty on several cars, I 'feel' like they work better, but no evidence to back that up. They are big, so they may not fit -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbro...ver-universal-spline-connector-1-kim124/p4584

And if you know you have 25t servos -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kimbro...or-futaba-thunder-tiger-servos-1-kim114/p4582

AussieRCplayground had a vid about the AU distribution issues, seems like a sucky deal. I guess if there is good news - maybe by the time they get the new distributor figured out, the BLX3s will be shipping, and you can just drop in the spur/slipper assembly from there...

@Jerry-rigged , Thanks for the info on the servo savers, much appreciated.

Yep, Vas from Aussie RC Playground did give everyone a heads up re the ARRMA situation locally, I passed on that info in another thread.

I contacted a few LHS's and got pretty much the same answer that stocks will start to trickle in around mid to late August, but none could confirm what parts were on the shipments , so no guarantee on the spur gear.

No choice but to wait.

That's not to long being August 8th today ,,

No guarantee on the parts being on the first few shipments tho , I suspect the new distro will want to hit the ground running with stock of complete trucks first, especially the new 4x4 BLX's , I suspect parts for older models will be an afterthought.

BTW: I saw one LHS finally list the 4x4 BLX at $549.00AU, lol , a little more than the $299.00 in the US. Mega 4x4's are now around
$349.00AU, you guys in the US don't realize how good you have it with pricing.

Lets see where the dust settles.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back