Senton BLX 3S V3 with DumboRC X6Fg and KS-3518 has a mind of its own...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Hello Arrma fans!

This week, I ran into a (to me) 'mysterious' issue that I cannot seem to solve and would very much love a bit of feedback on from the knowledgeable tinkerers on the forum.

In November, received my Senton 3S V3 and I love it! However, I quickly noticed that the Spectrum SLT3/SLR300 combo does not provide the signal range I was looking for, also since I am planning to install an FPV camera this spring. In addition, towards the limits of its range, it would sometimes result in erratic steering.

In January, I installed the DumboRC X6Fg transmitter/receiver combo and it solved all of my range issues. For the price, I highly recommend this kit, and very much appreciate the gyro function as a bonus - especially on the ice and compacted snow we have had here for the last months.

Although the standard Spectrum SPMS651 servo was still okay, I decided to "upgrade" to the popular 20Kg digital KS-3518 servo from the well-known low-cost drop-ship website overseas. To allow for installation of this 25t servo, I also ordered the red 25t servo horn from the previous generation Senton. Last week, I installed everything, manually set the steering end points on the transmitter, and went for a little field test.

The steering 'feel' is quite different, but not necessarily better or worse. The servo is clearly more powerful, albeit a bit slower, but no big issues there. However, the Senton now erratically wanders left and right during driving to the point that steering is not intuitive anymore, let alone reliable. The car intermittently veers off course in an unpredictable fashion, darting off of the road after several meters of seemingly normal driving. This occurs independently of having the gyro "on" or "off" (i.e. at any point between 0 - 100% on Channel 6 of the transmitter, which corresponds to the gyro intensity). I've played around with the steering end points and steering intensity, checked the steering rack on possible contact points, checked the wheel and steering geometry and the ball joints that all still seem pretty much 'out of the box' to me, recalibrated the DumboRC combo, and even reset and recalibrated the ESC (throttle) just to be sure. The issue persists.

I am now very much wondering where the issue lies and cannot find a clear answer online. Before the servo transplant, everything was working as I was hoping it would, and I figured that swapping out the servo would not change anything "upstream". Am I overlooking something here? Could the servo be faulty and intermittently react on ghost signals :)?

Although I don't mind the tinkering, I hesitate to swap everything over back to the Spectrum SLT3/SLR300 just to check the servo in that setup, as I know I do not want to hold on to that transmitter/receiver in the long run. I would not be opposed to reinstalling the old servo or even ordering yet another servo to have a bit more power in my steering, since that seems like a win. Normally, I would stick to what works and swap things over when they break. However, since the standard servo is known to fail quite regularly, I kind of have my mind set on a more powerful alternative that is compatible with the DumboRC gyro. The KS-3518 tends to have great reviews, even in the Arrma BLX 3S line, so I still suspect I am doing something wrong here...

Any and all suggestions and recommendations would be warmly welcomed! Many thanks, blast on!

The problem is with your new servo. Even though they say it is a digital servo, these cheap Chinese servos aren't compatible with the gyro in your new system. If you want the new transmitter and gyro to work properly you need a good quality digital servo.

The problem is with your new servo. Even though they say it is a digital servo, these cheap Chinese servos aren't compatible with the gyro in your new system. If you want the new transmitter and gyro to work properly you need a good quality digital servo.
Many thanks for the feedback!

What was wrong with the stock servo? Why did you change it? You said everything worked fine with the stock servo. If it were me I would put just the stock servo back in and run it with the new transmitter and reciever.

What was wrong with the stock servo? Why did you change it? You said everything worked fine with the stock servo. If it were me I would put just the stock servo back in and run it with the new transmitter and reciever.
Well, user reviews suggested that the stock servo is a bit underpowered and will likely not last particularly long. I figured I'd get a backup servo just in case. Then I came across the DumboRC, wanted that as well, and was under the (incorrect) impression that the stock servo is not digital servo, which is highly recommended for a gyro setup. When ordering the radio, I therefore also threw in the referred 20kg servo, as it has very good reviews.

Quickly after that, I learned that the stock 7kg servo is -in fact- a digital servo, which I why I already installed the DumboRC while the 20kg servo was still underway. Then, I found out that the stock servo is 23t whereas most others are 25t, after which I also ordered what seems like one of the last 25t servo savers out there (they are becoming very rare). With all these "goodies" having finally arrived, I figured I'd just throw it all in there and.. that's where we are right now ;).

Although you are absolutely right - I should just plug the stock servo back in -, I also still feel that I should have a solid backup servo in case the stock one does go out. We probably both know that having a more powerful and (hopefully) quicker servo around will most likely mean that the stock servo will be demoted to "spare servo" ;).

Thanks again for weighing in, your view is much appreciated!

Oh, I agree with you on having a back up. I have a Savox servo sitting in my parts box. But I also believe in not fixing something that isn't broke. I'm still running the stock Spektrum servo in my Big Rock with a Flysky GT5 that also has a gyro and everything works great. When the stock servo dies, I'll replace it.

If I were you, I'd put the stock servo back in and enjoy your Senton as long as you can

Oh, I agree with you on having a back up. I have a Savox servo sitting in my parts box. But I also believe in not fixing something that isn't broke. I'm still running the stock Spektrum servo in my Big Rock with a Flysky GT5 that also has a gyro and everything works great. When the stock servo dies, I'll replace it.

If I were you, I'd put the stock servo back in and enjoy your Senton as long as you can
Maybe I should indeed... Well, it is very good to realise that I would indeed be able to take my time ordering a suitable replacement and, when coming weekend rolls around and the weather is acceptable, pump a few packs through the truck after putting the "old" servo in. Don't have much time these days so I am very looking forward to a bit of tinkering and action!

Thanks again, hope you have a great day!

Maybe I should indeed... Well, it is very good to realise that I would indeed be able to take my time ordering a suitable replacement and, when coming weekend rolls around and the weather is acceptable, pump a few packs through the truck after putting the "old" servo in. Don't have much time these days so I am very looking forward to a bit of tinkering and action!

Thanks again, hope you have a great day!
Good luck bud. Hope it works out for you

Back