Senton Senton BLX vs Slash Platinum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I enjoy my Kraton v2 and my Nero. Arrma has really impressed me no doubt. I have about 4 1/10 scale trucks and a SCT slash 2x4. I'm looking at both the slash platinum and the senton blx. I threw in a Sidewinder 3 combo by Castle in the slash and it got so fast it started lifting up like a plane taking off. Then after a month - receiver stopped working and now the deans leads are green from seawater from this summers beach runs. So I'm looking at the slash platinum and the senton. To me - the senton has 1/8 scale drivetrain and internals built for 6s torque. The senton also has weight esp with my dual 7400MAH 70c Lipos from SPC. This weight goes a long way when I'm flooring the senton off road. Keeps it stable and that brings me to the slash. Total chaos at speed. It acts like a stool with a motor under it almost. Too light but still fast. Now this is a 2x4 so it's also the rear pushing the front. Tower has the Senton for 429$ too and the slash platinum is almost 600$. I'm getting the senton - any advise would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Senton hands down, especially when you can get one for almost half the cost of the (ridiculously overpriced) Slash 4x4
I had a Slash 4x4 and had to spend a lot of money to make it drive somewhat good on more than 2s...

If I'm ever getting a 4wd SCT again it will be the Senton for me too

More thoughts -

IMHO, there are only a few reasons to buy a Slash 4x4 -

1- You are an admitted Traxxas Fan Boi.
2 - You want a "Custom" truck, and want to bling it out with off the shelf parts.
3 - you are a Noob, and thought it looked cool on the shelf.
4 - you need it to race in a "Spec" class that only allows stock slash's.

If Traxxas would cut about $100-$200 off the price of the slash, it could be a good choice. But considering it's flaws, and it's highest price in it's category, I just don't see the point.

You want a pure basher? Senton. Toughest, fastest, bla bla bla, you know the drill.

You want a basher/racer, or you just don't want a 4s car? Troy Lee SCTE RTR is $50 less than the Slash, and is almost ready to race.

Traxxas makes a decent car, it is just way overpriced.

They do and have been around for a long time. I just don't like the whole traxxas batteries and charger etc. Im happy the competition woke up and built something better stronger faster and cheaper.

Senton without a doubt even if they cost the same.

The fact it's way cheaper makes it a no brainer.

I had a Slash platinum...it was like a toy compared to the Typhon or Kraton i have now
Ordering - My arrma Army is growing....KartonV2, Nero and now a SENTON BLX .....

I had a Slash platinum...it was like a toy compared to the Typhon or Kraton i have now

Traxxas are not like toys, but are toys, just very expensive toys, not a single metal part on most stock Traxxas vehicles...
Even my €60 Tamiya (which I abuse a lot!) handles my bashing fine, and I broke a lot of €300+ Traxxas stuff with the same driving style...

Traxxas are not like toys, but are toys, just very expensive toys, not a single metal part on most stock Traxxas vehicles...
Even my €60 Tamiya (which I abuse a lot!) handles my bashing fine, and I broke a lot of €300+ Traxxas stuff with the same driving style...

I hate to break it to you, but my Kraton, and my Typhon, and my old Losi XXCR - they are all TOYS!. Yes, some are better than others, but they are all toys. We like to throw around the term "Hobby Grade" to act like we are all NOT just grown men playing with toy cars, but, sad to say, we are. :p

Also, Traxxas does pass the "Hobby grade" bar, by every measure, IMHO. But I'd still rather have Arrma. :)

I hate to break it to you, but my Kraton, and my Typhon, and my old Losi XXCR - they are all TOYS!. Yes, some are better than others, but they are all toys. We like to throw around the term "Hobby Grade" to act like we are all NOT just grown men playing with toy cars, but, sad to say, we are. :p

Also, Traxxas does pass the "Hobby grade" bar, by every measure, IMHO. But I'd still rather have Arrma. :)

I know I play with toys, am not ashamed of it and love it! :D :p
But with toy in this sentence I meant the kind of RC you can get in a toy store, and not the ones from a hobby shop :p
When I go to a meeting it are always the Traxxas vehicles that stop early due to breakage, burnt electronics or something like that, Arrma, Losi, HPI, Tamiya, they all keep going with the same driving style as the Traxxas vehicles.

They look good and all, but the main problem is that they are just way overpriced for what you get.
I can get a "competition grade" Losi RTR for cheaper or about the same as an "hobby grade" Traxxas RTR which would still need an amount of money to make it reliable enough.

This is where Arrma really fits in great and was the main choice for me to order, a bunch cheaper than Traxxas or "competition" grade brands, but they handle and look great and are tough as nails out of the box :D
And also important, no need to wait on spares as they are readily available.
I really think Arrma has hit the right point with the price and specs of all of their vehicles, which is why I would advise anyone new to to hobby to look for an Arrma vehicle.
Because imho too many people only focus on Traxxas when they start in the hobby and don't even look at other brands.

Hence the recent legal actions by Traxxas. Arrma got their attention with the Nero and it's lay down shocks
Arrma got their attention with their trucks that's are much harder to break and run faster.
Arrma got their attention with a significant dent in market share.
I hope the judge will consider Traxxas and its insistance on Traxxas batteries and chargers for its products along with its considerable prices for trucks that need upgrades right out The box. Just my opinion.

well, I have a slash that started life as a brushed stampede 4x4... I have a 2650kv castle motor and a mm2 esc running things with my kraton stock servo at 7.2v. my slash runs 3s, has mip x-duty axles, tekno center drive shaft, revo diff cups and I-bar diffs, Robinson racing slipper, 2.8 badlands, mip 17mm adapters. with this being said I am looking at a Senton I want a sct to race outdoors next summer, my local track only runs 2s in 1/10 scale tho so I wonder how the Senton is on that or if I should find a roller and build my own... the slash is just not powerful enough on 2s to be competitive on 3s it's sick tho. soon I'm gonna give 4s a shot. I want to race my typhoon and a sct my slash will require new motor and esc and so.easy new tires and wheels for track.

Senton got up to 55moh on stock pinion - crazy speed crazy torque. How bout SPC goin out of business???? Very sad. I hate yo say it but I'm two days of playing with the Senton. 3 of the four stock tires have now blown and half the rear bumper is gone. No crazy jumps or anything. Just muddy grass drifting and playing around. I'm really surprised to be honest.also this morning in the Costco lot - the pinion grub was ground in by the motor mount and it came loose. Happened to both the Senton and the Kraton.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 65
i
I know I play with toys, am not ashamed of it and love it! :D :p
But with toy in this sentence I meant the kind of RC you can get in a toy store, and not the ones from a hobby shop :p
When I go to a meeting it are always the Traxxas vehicles that stop early due to breakage, burnt electronics or something like that, Arrma, Losi, HPI, Tamiya, they all keep going with the same driving style as the Traxxas vehicles.

They look good and all, but the main problem is that they are just way overpriced for what you get.
I can get a "competition grade" Losi RTR for cheaper or about the same as an "hobby grade" Traxxas RTR which would still need an amount of money to make it reliable enough.

This is where Arrma really fits in great and was the main choice for me to order, a bunch cheaper than Traxxas or "competition" grade brands, but they handle and look great and are tough as nails out of the box :D
And also important, no need to wait on spares as they are readily available.
I really think Arrma has hit the right point with the price and specs of all of their vehicles, which is why I would advise anyone new to to hobby to look for an Arrma vehicle.
Because imho too many people only focus on Traxxas when they start in the hobby and don't even look at other brands.
wish I was more informed when I started this last december... now I know what to look for and I know traxxas is no good for the $$ you pay they should be built with better materials. my kraton is eat a diff now and then but it takes 100x the punishment my buddy's erevo does and his breaks much more than mine I run mine alot more than him too... he sick of breaking it but is in its so deep now no point in selling it. lol

well, I have a slash that started life as a brushed stampede 4x4... I have a 2650kv castle motor and a mm2 esc running things with my kraton stock servo at 7.2v. my slash runs 3s, has mip x-duty axles, tekno center drive shaft, revo diff cups and I-bar diffs, Robinson racing slipper, 2.8 badlands, mip 17mm adapters. with this being said I am looking at a Senton I want a sct to race outdoors next summer, my local track only runs 2s in 1/10 scale tho so I wonder how the Senton is on that or if I should find a roller and build my own... the slash is just not powerful enough on 2s to be competitive on 3s it's sick tho. soon I'm gonna give 4s a shot. I want to race my typhoon and a sct my slash will require new motor and esc and so.easy new tires and wheels for track.

If you want to race, buy a racing truck... I love the Arrma 1/8 platform, but true race rigs are in another category. If you can't swing a new kit, buy a used racer with a season on it.

Senton is a great truck on 4s, but seems like it will be heavy on 2s.

I have tried the Senton on 2s........It is not near fast enough to compete on 2s. The top speed was probably like 10 to 15 mph. I put 2s in my Senton and let me 4 year old drive it as I know that he can run it into a brick wall at full speed and probably wouldn't even scratch the body. If you are looking into racing I would highly recommend getting a different vehicle or possibly a different motor and esc might help but you will still be at a huge disadvantage due to weight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back